Dean Ashton for england

womblemaster

Shearer interview on bbc sport about owens injury.

He recommends that dean ashton be called up in place of heskey (injured) and rooney in place of owen.

Hope the ginger twat follows his advice, that could be a lethal partnership........SWP  can provide the pace, and them 2 in the middle for the finishing.

AM sure he will continue to score goals in the next few weeks, ashton certainly gave our defense a few problems.

imo hes better than crouch or defoe.

He has impressed me so far since coming back from his injury and I think he certainly deserved the chance to play for England again and looking at the current situation,Steve doesnt really have much of a choice to make.

Ashton and Rooney should be a great combination, and has to be tried some time. I suspect that for Russia, McClaren won't want a completely new strikeforce, and will go for Crouch and Rooney instead.

Either way, McClaren's a lucky man, because if injuries hadn't intervened, he'd have gone with the flow and picked Heskey and Owen, which I think would have been a mistake.

He has impressed me so far since coming back from his injury and I think he certainly deserved the chance to play for England again and looking at the current situation,Steve doesnt really have much of a choice to make.

Agreed, he really is a handfull and could link up with Rooney and /or Owen very well.

Wish we signed him now!

He showed strong signs of potential last year too and before that. He's just built on that more and more since his return... It's a credit to him really that even after a year out he's made a seemless transition.

Hope Ashton ends up here at some point in his career. We should have signed him ages ago.

This is totally correct - we should have had him from Norwich as a replacement for Shearer.

Of course, he probably had the wrong Agent for Shepherd & Co....

Would have been a much better value signing for 7m than Owen at 17m ; its too late now, but who knows what may happen in a year or so...

Hope Ashton ends up here at some point in his career. We should have signed him ages ago.

This is totally correct - we should have had him from Norwich as a replacement for Shearer.

Of course, he probably had the wrong Agent for Shepherd & Co....

Would have been a much better value signing for 7m than Owen at 17m ; its too late now, but who knows what may happen in a year or so...

Ideally we should have had him from Crewe to learn off Shearer for a few years, if you ask me. £3M.

Same with Darren Bent at a similar time, although we did try for him when Robson was here.

Shearer, Bellamy, Ashton and Bent would have been miles better than having Ameobi and Lua Lua on the end of there.

Guest kingdawson

Ashton will be one of this country's top strikers for the next few years IMO.

What a load of rubbish. He's a good player but he lacks pace and is overrated (a poor man's Viduka who is by far a better player).

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Dean Ashton was very impressive against us. He's bulked up and looks as strong as an ox yet can still move very quickly over short distances. Strong in the air and powerful with the ball on the ground, certainly the man to replace Crouch or Heskey in he England set-up.

decent player but nowt special, i know he's had bad luck with injuries but it's not like he's ever put in a consistently good season in the top flight. might've played well against us but so did steve howard and carlton cole! he would make a good squad player here, but not if we were to cost £12m or silly money like that.