Do you think Sam will succeed as a NUFC manager?

ATB
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Im not really sure. If he is going to be a succes he has to play more positive football with more width and keep the ball on the ground more often.

I hope when the new players are settled down and getting to know each other and Sam is getting to know the club and the players, that we will see some improvements in the way we are playing football

Of course we cant complain about the results so far, but I dont think it will continue if we are playing 3 defensive midfielders every game. Hopefully Barton and Emre (and maybe a new signing in January will help too.

Surely succeed means to win stuff and with that I don't think he will because by the sounds of things he's looking to go after about 4 years so no I don't think he will succeed but I do think the club will be in a healthy position for the next guy.

Undecided. On one hand were 5th in the league with a game in hand. On the other we are out of the Carling Cup already and at times this season have played some shockingly poor football.

I'd say that the strikeforce has improved as has the defence but the midfield is no better, that's our main problem (as everyone knows) we have some very good dm's but not enough midfielder's with a desire to get forward.  I'd say Barton will be the only one who will make enough forward runs as Emre although creative is more of a deep sitting playmaker.

We all know we'll improve when Barton returns but we can't rely on one midfielder we need another at least in the same mould if not an actual attacking central midfielder.  Deco in Jan anyone?

Yes, I think Big Sam has what it takes. In the way of the very top managers, he has his own vision of how to do things and he doesn't just follow the herd. He has good judgement, and deals with the situation that's in front of him, not the one he'd like to have. The club now has the resources which should, in time, allow them to compete at the very top.

Two things can get in his way. One is bad luck, and that plays a bigger part in sport than we'd like to think. The second is whether he's able to keep faith in his own judgement despite being in a high pressure job where every mistake is highlighted and he gets bombarded by alternative opinions. It's a syndrome that's defeated every England manager, and every Man U manager after Busby until Ferguson came along.

I think he definately CAN! If we give him the time to do it, we are in need of a few more players (Creatve Midfielder!!!!!) but i never expected us to fly in to top 6 in his 1st season. He is rebuilding our squad, just be patient. It took Bobby Robson three years to get us into champions leage don't forget.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

Depends what you call success

Im my eyes, he will succeed.  He's already succeeed short term in strengthening the defence and maintaining a decent start to the season.

I think Sam's done a great job. I don't think Sam had too much money to play with in the summer (£75 million going on the debt) and I'm pleased he laid the foundations for a successful team by sorting out the defence. By the end of this season we should have a good back four who have a good understanding of each other and a good strike force.

This just leaves the problem of midfield where we'll just have to put up with a "functional" midfield that can pass the ball and work hard but have no real creativity for this season. Some people may say why did he get Smith? But I can't think of a creative midfielder who does the business consistently for £6million, at least with Smith you know what you are going to get and covers a few positions. For the money he had, the best we could get is someone similar Emre which for me would be a bad mistake as he hasn’t done anything in his time here.

So for me if Sam gets in one or two good creative midfielders in the summer, then this time next year I would not see any obvious weaknesses in the team.

If Sam has even mild success (ie gets you challenging for, or in, European positions) over the next couple of years, don't be surprised if he ends up in the England job.

Not sure about that - for the same reason he didn't get it last time round. England wouldn't get far playing football Bolton-style which is all we've got to go on at this moment.

As for us, it depends what you mean by success. I am fairly confident he can get us into the top 6 because we are getting it right at the back for which Allardyce takes full credit. Plus we have enough quality throughout the side to get the necessary wins. Wheter we can kick on and get beyond the top six we'll have to wait and see. For that we will probably need more pace up front and on the right flank.

I think we will make progress and that's not to be sniffed at considering our starting position.

He will help us climb the mountain but we might need someone else to get to the peak.

Beautifully poetic, Parks.

PS - don't forget that 50 notes. He's good, but he's not that good.

;)

Phoned my mate in Leicster this morn. [Possible place for wink/]

He's already bought a new back four since he arrived a few months ago, so he's done something that no other Newcastle manager has done since Robson. It will take time to gell etc but it's a start. He has us fifth after 6 games with a game in hand, the best start we've had in a long time, and to be writting him off now is a joke. Likewise sayign he will be the one who brings the premiership to Newcastle is a joke. Time will tell but for now it's looking healthy enough.