Worst signing of the Summer?

Dr Spectrum

Yakubu as it stands!

he lost his car at the match yesterday  :razz: he didnt go back on the team bus i saw him in the car park looking for his car about 1 hour after the game  :laugh2: he wouldnt sign me programme either   :rant:  ... this makes him even more of a candidate

I see what you did there.

They signed Bale to play down the left who's looked top class, Kaboul looks do excellent prospect at the back and Boateng is supposed to be another highly rated youngster too so it's wrong to say they blew all their money on Bent, they should have signed a keeper though.

Fair enough about Bale, when they signed him I didn't know he would be playing left wing.

Think how far that money could have gone in other areas of the team though. Up front was arguably where they were already strongest. It's not like we're all talking with the benefit of hindsight either, the signing seemed mad at the time and still does.

I'm not going to defend Bent's fee but the need for another tall striker was obvious when Man Utd were sniffing around Berbatov all summer and I reckon he is 90% certain to go to Old Trafford next summer.  The failure to buy experience for the MF was due to the lack of suitable players who were happy to go to a non CL team, we got close to Yaya Toure until Barca declared an interest and that was the end of that.  It wasn't as if all the transfer money was spent, there was a further £24m or so available if the players had been available and the good set of accounts coming out in the next 2/3 weeks will significantly increase that figure.

Bale and Kaboul are sound buys, even at £5m rising to £10m and £8m respectively, Boateng will be once he has adjusted to the pace of the Premier League, the physical nature of the game isn't a problem for him.  Maybe signings as shrewd could be Adel Taraabt, Danny Rose and Dean Parrett who cost a total of £4.3m.  Another goalkeeper wasn't an option, nor is there need, the problem is who gets the job in the team.  Every man and his dog can see that Robinson needs to be pulled out and replaced by Cerny, who was the Czech Replublic's keeper until Cech came to prominence.  He's a solid keeper still, Comolli and Levy want Cerny in but Jol is the one who makes the decisions.  Lives by the sword, will probably die by it tbh.

They signed Bale to play down the left who's looked top class, Kaboul looks do excellent prospect at the back and Boateng is supposed to be another highly rated youngster too so it's wrong to say they blew all their money on Bent, they should have signed a keeper though.

They'll tear The Championship apart next season tbh

They'll tear The Championship apart next season tbh

Perhaps we could buy them then.

Although I definitely think the Smith money could have been spent better I don't think he is one of the worst.

Bouazza at £3.5m or whatever it was would have made a lot more sense though!

Bouazza is the most one-dimensional player ever, nowhere near the quality of a side looking to stay up in the PL. All he has is pace, poor mans Aaron Lennon, who some would say is just as bad...

Something is wrong with a football club when the chairman and director of football get mentioned with respect to player acquisitions more than the manager does - I'm sure MJ or KD can make a convincing case against this, and I'm not going to expand on the point any more than that, but it does strike me that something is wrong with that set up.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Re: Anderson.

This was the comment in the Manchester United Evening News after the Coventry game.

"Anderson: Even at this level, the Brazilian continues to disappoint

4/10 "

I'd expect far more than what he has delivered so far for £17m. He's never in a million years worth that much.

By that I mean, if we sold him in Jan we'd not lose much on him and moreover he could become a really useful asset, given his ability to play anywhere across the front 6 from mid to fwd and not let you down.

I disagree with that. I think he's an awful midfielder who has absolutely no idea what to do in that position - other than foul people. As a forward I think he's passible at best and IMO wouldn't get in the 16 if Owen, Martins and Viduka are fit.

Plus he looks like a peanut.

Man Utd v Wigan - 4-0

The Times

''Ferguson is convinced that Anderson is good enough to replace Paul Scholes when the 32 year-old midfielder retires and nobody who witnessed his performance in this match would argue with the United manager.''

Anderson - 8/10

Bent.

Nothing more than an average striker.

£6m for Smith is peanuts in todays market.

How much do you think Bent and Smith are worth in todays market?

i think smith would go for the same....

bent... omg... impossible... freebie? hehe

Julien Faubert i think! Did he even play for west ham before being crocked? They paid over the odds for this guy cos Rangers were after him and could offer Champions League football. £6.7m for a gut who won't play to Christmas!

Julien Faubert i think! Did he even play for west ham before being crocked? They paid over the odds for this guy cos Rangers were after him and could offer Champions League football. £6.7m for a gut who won't play to Christmas!

And he specifically said himself that he didn't want to go there.

West Ham. Horrible grubby little club.

Bent.

Bent probably scored more goals last year/the year before than Smith has in 3-4 seasons.

Bent imo is worth 8 to 10 million.

Smith.. much more close to what we payed for.. still pretty crap though.

Smith was not an improvement on Dyer.

Bent.

Bent probably scored more goals last year/the year before than Smith has in 3-4 seasons.

Bent imo is worth 8 to 10 million.

Smith.. much more close to what we payed for.. still pretty crap though.

Smith was not an improvement on Dyer.

He did cost less than dyer