Sven want Owen for £15 Million

Guest nufc_geordie

We must sell not sell Michael Owen.  He's a world class fnisher who will give us goals and we need him badly.  I would only sell him if a bid exceeded £20 million. 

If we did sell him for £15million, I dont believe we can sign a striker good enough to replace him.  We will only know if we have secured European football next season once this one has ended, therefore in January we will still not have enough pulling power to get the right man for our money.  If you disagree with me, please state a player you believe we can buy in January who can replace Owen.

£15mill??? Catch 22, you either keep a player who's so injury prone, or sell him to one of your main rivals, hate to say it but i think i'd sell, i think Anelka is more than suitable and realistic option. I always though that Anelka is every bit as good as owen, Owen has his baggage with wages, injuries and commiment, but anelka has his massive commitment issues, although he seemed to have mellowed a bit. Seems like a no brainer to me.

but if he stays fit till january ?

Like i said, catch 22, i also rate Anelka as high, if not higher than Owen, he has at least had the potential and the main ingredient to be one of the best strikers in the world, i dont think we'd be losing out on goalscoring prowess if we signed Anelka, and to be honest his all round play is now much better than Owens, minus the life threatening injuries and fit him in a team manged by a manger he seems to respect and you have a ready made replacement with a tidy £5-6m(?) profit. Far more adaptable than owen in terms of formation and strike partners as well. Theres a whole can of worms to be opened on commitment issues by both players but i wont go so far.

going off memory i don't think anelka has been anywhere near as proloific a goalscorer as owen since anelka left arsenal.even the better all round player bit is a bit misleading,he's abetter prospect playing wide than owen but through the middle i reckon owen is a better goalscorer and as good a player(for that position).

as i've earlier said,for me, the decision should come down to owens fitness and how allardyce best sees the direction of the team(i'm not too keen on 4-3-3 at the moment even if anelka was brought in).if owen stays fit and plays well and we look like progressing it would be madness to sell,it's a decision that shouldn't be made now.

Yeh, to be fair you make a fair point about being there respective goal scoring records. I still think that Anelka is more of a team player, better all round play, in the end, to get the Best out of owen i think you need to fit the team round him, he needs a strong partner, you cant play him as the wide man of 3 (which i neither like or want) you cant play him on his own, as was tried by Houllier at liverpool, his game is ALL about finishing which i suppose is fair enough, contrast that to Anelka and you have a far more rounded player, he can play on his own effectively, he's very strong, he doesnt need a contrasting partner to be effective, link up play is good, sets up a few as well, and he can finish well can also play anywhere in the front 3, for me, Anelka wuld be a more adaptable asset, where as Owen is a one mode goalscorer respectively. Its a difficult decision to make, and we would obvioulsy be selling one of the worlds most natural gifted goalscorers but i dont think it'd effect the team as muc has say losing Anelka would to Bolton (poor analogy as bolton are crap anyway)

It's amazing how much debate can be spawned by an article such as this.  Over and over again, taloid rumours turn out to be false, but yet no one seems to learn.

Of course Owen could end all this speculation with one interview couldn't he? Rather than making ambiguous comments about his commitment. You could ask: "Why should he?" But he's not daft, so why doesn't he?

If people are worried about the injuries with respect to our significant investment, that's understandable.  But the constant call of Owen to prove his commitment is baffling to me.

I think a section of our support are clinging to the antiquated notion that NUFC players should only have eyes for Newcastle United and no other club (or international side, for that matter).  This is simply naive.  90% of our first team, and 90% of almost any first team in European football would bolt at the chance to play for Manchester United, Real Madrid, AC Milan, etc, etc.  For us, supporting Newcastle United is religion - it comes from the heart.  For the majority of footballers, their club is their employer.  They don't, and can't be expected to have the same love affair with the club.

So why would I ask Michael Owen to prove he's commited to Newcastle?  He is under contract with us, and when he plays, he scores goals.  That's enough commitment for me.  And if an offer from a mega-club comes in, he could very well leave, just like most of our squad.  Who gives a toss what his favorite club is?

Guest eyeball_tickler

as much as i think owen is one of the best strikers in the world and our best player by a mile, £15 million could probably get us anelka and diouf, and they are 2 players i'd love to see here. next summer, of course.

I'd try to get him to stay as well. Goals per game anyone?

Goals per game isn't a reason to keep somebody who has played so few games.  20 games in over 2 years is pathetic by most standards.

£15million is rubbish money for Owen in today market, Bent cost more ffs.

£15 million for a player with an injury record like the one Owen has got isn't rubbish at all, I can't remember any player as injury prone as Owen going for more.

We must sell not sell Michael Owen.  He's a world class fnisher who will give us goals and we need him badly.  I would only sell him if a bid exceeded £20 million. 

If we did sell him for £15million, I dont believe we can sign a striker good enough to replace him.  We will only know if we have secured European football next season once this one has ended, therefore in January we will still not have enough pulling power to get the right man for our money.  If you disagree with me, please state a player you believe we can buy in January who can replace Owen.

A player who scores 1 every 4 games is of more use to us than a player who scores almost a goal every other game if the player isn't playing enough games.

Owen has played less than 10 games per season for us so a player who plays every game and only scores 1 in 4 will get twice as many goals.

Selling Owen would be the same as selling Woodgate, selling Woodgate was the right decision, replacing him with Boumsong was the mistake.

15m for Owen would be absolutely brilliant money tbh, I'd accept well below that as well.

You're right, he's a great player when fit and nobody would consider letting him go if he played even 75% of games, less than 1 game in 4 makes him virtually useless to us, not a player you could consider relying on.

I like him as a person and I like him as a footballer, he just doesn't play enough football for us.

A player who scores 1 every 4 games is of more use to us than a player who scores almost a goal every other game if the player isn't playing enough games.

Owen has played less than 10 games per season for us so a player who plays every game and only scores 1 in 4 will get twice as many goals.

Selling Owen would be the same as selling Woodgate, selling Woodgate was the right decision, replacing him with Boumsong was the mistake.

About sums it up for me,

Rather have 2 years of Owen than 15 mil.

Who's bothered about 15 mil anyway? Mike isn't.

2 years of Owen means 20 games and 9 goals if the last two are anything to go by, to be fair to him the last two years shouldn't be repeated but you never know.

Owen hasnt GOT injured since coming back, the groin strain was picked up back in March or April and they left it which came back to bite us in the arse but the fact is he didnt get it this season, he got it in his rehab last season. Im sure the thigh strain was just something that happened on his return to full fitness.

Im fully convinced Owen can get 15 plus goals this season.

I read the story in The Sun and it read like a load of made up bollocks. It said things like Sven wants Owen but he doesn't know if he could afford him because he would cost £15 Million and his £110,000 weekly wages would be a problem. It also said Owen hasn't settled in the North East and that the fans have never really taken to him. Just another shit stirring story from the southern press.

It also said this, and this is what they are basing most of the story on.

They said Owen said "no problem" when asked about a rift with Big Sam, and this is the key thing here, they also said.... BUT HIS BODY LANGUAGE SUGGESTED HE WAS LYING"

:lol:

Load of shit

£15mill in for Owen, £20mill out for Huntelaar. Great business.

you'd spend 20m on Huntelaar?! He's good but not that good.

Huntelaar is worth at least £17 million.

Really? Based on what? FM?

I feel he is worth at least £17 million due to the fact he's 24 years old with 46 goals in 55 games over the last three seasons, 18 in 22 at U21 level, 2 in 8 in the senior team. He's got an excellent shot and aerial ability and one of his biggest strengths is the fact he can be used as an all out striker or a target man. Bent cost £16.5 million, £17 million for Huntelaar is not a lot at all.

All those stats dosen't justify your 17m price tag! I see you've failed to mention that he's scoring most of these goals in the Dutch league?  :lol:

Your Bent argument is poor, imo. He went for more than he's ever worth.

Huntleaar looks good, but I reckon even he would tell you that he's not worth that much. :lol:

I don't play FM. Unlike people like you, I watch football from various leagues in Europe, even some South American games. Through watching these games I can learn how good players are instead of relying on games like you do.

Well, so do I! So there! :shifty:

Michael's Gowen cheap

EXCLUSIVE ENGLAND HITMEN COULD SPARK CLOSE SEASON TRANSFER SCRAMBLE £6M! That's all he'll cost in the summer

By Brian Mcnally 14/10/2007

Sven Goran Eriksson is ready to play a waiting game to land Newcastle striker Michael Owen in an amazing cut-price £6million deal next summer.

The Manchester City boss - who inadvertently revealed Owen's unhappiness on Tyneside when he was in charge of England - would have to pay about £10m for the 27-year-old England hitman in the January transfer window.

But with Owen's get-out clause due to be re-activated at the end of the season he could snatch his man for about half that fee.

The canny Swede is prepared to be patient in his bid to land the little striker he has admired since his days as England manager.

The Sunday Mirror revealed earlier this year that Owen's get-out clause which is linked to the length remaining on his contract meant he was available for about £9m this summer.

But even at that price there were no takers as potential buyers shied away from taking a gamble on the fitness of a player who has spent most of his two years at St James' Park on the treatment table.

The get-out clause went into suspension on August 31, but becomes active again when the summer transfer window opens on July 1 next year.

Sources close to the club claim that the value of the man for whom Newcastle paid £17m in August 2005 will be written down to about £6m next summer.

The source told the Sunday Mirror: "The get-out clause that Michael Owen demanded when he signed for Newcastle will become active again next summer. Each year his value on the books is reduced and by next summer it will be in the region of £5-6m.

"That means that Manchester City or any other club can come in and trigger his release by matching that figure. Newcastle are powerless to stop him moving on.

"Suggestions that he could fetch £15m are fanciful, given he hasn't yet proved his long-term fitness. When he was available for £9m this summer no one came in for him.

"Manchester City wouldn't be his ideal choice, but none of the big four was interested in him this year.

"Newcastle would probably be wise to sell him in January if they could because they would obviously land a bigger fee. In any case they dare not let him get into the final year of his deal without signing a new one because he could then leave for nothing on June 30, 2009."

Sam Allardyce's fragile relationship with his star striker was further underlined when Owen insisted he would play for England against Estonia yesterday a fortnight after having surgery on a nagging groin problem.

The Magpies boss insisted that the decision must be made by the Newcastle medical staff, but Owen - who has made just 17 starts for Newcastle - insisted he would be guided by his German doctor.

And the growing rift between the Toon Army and Owen was demonstrated last Sunday when his arrival as a sub was greeted with a chorus of boos.

Owen responded by cupping his ear after scoring Newcastle's winner.

I am starting to really fucking hate the media in all this.  They are desperate for friction between us and Owen it seems. 

"is arrival as a sub was greeted with a chorus of boos"

I must have fucking missed that.  Didn't hear a single  boo as Owen came on.  Some kind of supporters group leader type person should be making this clear to the press....if we have one. 

Anyone who's going to the Spurs game better give an almighty cheer as Owens name is announced to send some kind of message to the press,  if not Owen.  The more they report it,  you start to worry that people will believe it.