THERE IS NO £6 million release clause for owen

ChrisJbarnes

When Owen finally leaves, he is going to be one of the most embarrassing signings in the history of Premiership/European football.

All that money in fees and salary, and not many appearances or goals.

To be honest, I don't think it will be seen as embarassing due to the lack of appearances, a broken foot and cruciate injury gives a valid get-out from that.

It will be the whole circus of club vs country which will make this signing go down as one of the worst in Premier League history (as far as the media goes anyhow), and this is regardless of how many goals he bangs in between now and when he eventually leaves

When Owen finally leaves, he is going to be one of the most embarrassing signings in the history of Premiership/European football.

All that money in fees and salary, and not many appearances or goals.

+ all the worrying about him getting injured/being fit

It would be more embarrassing for him to have been such a ridiculous waste of money. Throughout his career he has tried to do the 'financially correct' things but his efforts have backfired spectacularly on the pitch, at both Madrid and Newcastle. He could well go down as England's all time top goalscorer but he will in effect have wasted what...6/7 years of his club career??

When does his contract run out?  Is it the summer after, because if it is that will be about his value with 12 months left on it, clause or not.

My thoughts exactly.

Even if we do qualify for Europe and this clause isn't triggered, £6m plus a huge saving on wages would be a tempting offer for a player who wants to leave and will do so for nothing in 12 months. Liverpool accepted 8m in the same situation, and he's an older player with more injury questions around him now, meaning 6m is probably very realistic.

source ?

You know the most pathetic thing about all this is the strange idea the press seem to have that Owen has to leave if any clause is activated.  Why on earth would Owen want to move to Man City??  I mean yeah they're on a high at the moment with a new owner buying big, but they're hardly a prestigious club now are they.

There's nothing hard to believe about this. If he had a £9 million release clause before, it stands to reason it will have gone down by the end of the season.

Why does that stand to reason?  There's no reason a clause in a contract has to change as time goes on.  It might in this case, but there's no general rule, nor is it even a usual thing AFAIK.

This whole Owen thing is getting messy. 

I would love him to stay and bang in some goals for us but i just get the feeling  he is off first chance he gets.

long way to go yet. can't understand why people are trying to make their mind up now when nothin can happen till january or maybe even summer 2008.

Can I just say it only comes into effect if we don't qualify for Europe and to be fair to Owen, he's world class, he should be playing in Europe every year.  He just wanted to be safe.  If we qualify for europe then he'll stay.  If not, do we deserve a player of his calibre?  Remember footballers careers are only short.

We have stood by him, paid his wages and all the operations he has had. Would be nice to think he would show some sort of loyalty.

Very few footballers could spell loyalty, even fewer could say what it means and footballers showing loyalty are almost extinct.

long way to go yet. can't understand why people are trying to make their mind up now when nothin can happen till january or maybe even summer 2008.

Never once said I had made my mind up he was off, I said I get the feeling that he will be away first chance he gets.

January is not that far away.

So we paid shit loads of money to get him the best treatment in the world and to get him back to fitness just so he can help some other club finish above us?

IF he leaves that is what ill be most annoyed at.

It's very simple and easy actually. IF Owen really care about us, he can just refuse to leave, reject any offer and instead stay with us. A release clause can't be activated if the player himself commit to stay and doesn't want to leave, right? :)

Can I just say it only comes into effect if we don't qualify for Europe and to be fair to Owen, he's world class, he should be playing in Europe every year.  He just wanted to be safe.  If we qualify for europe then he'll stay.  If not, do we deserve a player of his calibre?  Remember footballers careers are only short.

We have stood by him, paid his wages and all the operations he has had. Would be nice to think he would show some sort of loyalty.

Your right. We should have refused to pay for his treatment, just put him on an NHS waiting list and tried to flog him as soon as he did his cruciate and we knew he'd be out for the season last year. I'm sure there'd have been loads of takers.

At what point has the club done anything but fulfill it's contractual obligations and try to protect it's investment? To try and make out the club has done anything out of the ordinary for Owen is naive, and to try to make out we've been understanding as supporters is laughable.

Anyway, if you're saying he should show his loyalty to those who paid his wages while he was injured, then he should put England first, the insurance company Sunday league team second, and then us.

The insane thing about the transfer is that the player himself publicly said, a week before, that he only wanted to join us on loan. The huge transfer fee which blocked the interest of other clubs, the massive wages and in particular the very generous buy-out clauses were all part of the package of getting him to join us.

So now we're wondering whether he wants to stay, and worrying about whether a clause will be activated. Well, it all just flows naturally from the stupid deal that Freddie forged in the first place. The fans can be disgruntled, but the club has no cause for complaint.

It's very simple and easy actually. IF Owen really care about us, he can just refuse to leave, reject any offer and instead stay with us. A release clause can't be activated if the player himself commit to stay and doesn't want to leave, right? :)

That would be nice.

would be a tempting offer for a player who wants to leave 

Prove it.

??

I'm talking about a potential (and pretty likely) scenario where we are sitting with an offer on the table of £6m (or whatever) for a player who has 12 months on his contract and will walk for free when that time expires, after picking up another year of huge wages. We'd be mad not to listen to such an offer. If Owen still hasn't signed a new contract by the summer then it's pretty safe to say he won't, and I doubt we'd be daft enough to turn down an offer like that on the offchance he has a change of heart during his final season.

If he hasn't signed a new contract by the summer I'm confident we'll cash in.

The insane thing about the transfer is that the player himself publicly said, a week before, that he only wanted to join us on loan. The huge transfer fee which blocked the interest of other clubs, the massive wages and in particular the very generous buy-out clauses were all part of the package of getting him to join us.

So now we're wondering whether he wants to stay, and worrying about whether a clause will be activated. Well, it all just flows naturally from the stupid deal that Freddie forged in the first place. The fans can be disgruntled, but the club has no cause for complaint.

To be fair to Shepherd, I dont think the transfer fee and buy-out clause was a daft idea at all, even though we are probably going to make a massive loss because of it. It was an ambitious transfer for a guaranteed top class player, one that we made because along with several other expensive additions, we had hoped would make us a team that would quality for Europe.

The bit where the idiocy comes into play is who they gambled on. If youre going to gamble on a footballer, do so on someone with the injury record and physique that would make the gamble worthwhile. Not on someone who has consistently broken down throughout their career, someone with the physical frame of a schoolboy and who's game inherently involves being chased down by men twice his size, strength and weight.

Despite the possible gap in class, had we signed Torres if the Owen deal had fallen through, we may well be in a completely different situation today - more likely a much stronger one, as wed have had a good goalscorer for the past two years playing the majority of games for us, as opposed to having to field the Rossi's and Sibierski's of this world. We finished 7th under Roeder despite having no decent forwards regularly fit (bar an over-the-hill Shearer who was regularly performing poorly in the Premiership at that stage in his career), so we could well have finished in a direct European spot that season with a 20 goal forward in the team, and hence made it more likely that wed have done the same the following season instead of having the likes of Sibierski and Rossi playing regularly (again due to Owen breaking down) - something which would have made that clause negligible.

Right idea, good ambition, daft decision making on more than one transfer.

Newcastle shut door on talk of losing Michael Owen at cut price

George Caulkin

Predatory clubs have been served notice that Michael Owen will not be permitted to leave St James’ Park on the cheap next summer, with Chris Mort, the Newcastle United chairman, confirming last night that the England striker no longer has a get-out clause in his contract.

Sam Allardyce’s rebuilding plans were undermined during the most recent transfer window by speculation regarding Owen’s position, a consequence of the release clause agreed by the previous regime on Tyneside. A similar situation applied to Obafemi Martins, Newcastle’s Nigeria striker.

Owen’s advisers could have opened negotiations with any club who bid £9 million, but Mort has denied that the 27-year-old will be available for a reported £6 million at the end of this season.

That sort of clause does not exist any longer,” he said. “We want to see a fit Michael Owen scoring goals for Newcastle United for many years to come.”

Whether that results in Owen remaining at Newcastle is uncertain. Manchester City and Manchester United are admirers of the forward and, if Owen does not show a willingness to extend his present deal - worth £115,000 a week – Newcastle would risk losing him for nothing when it expires in 2009.

After having groin surgery recently, Owen’s selection for international duty – and a match today on an artificial surface – has prompted disquiet at his club, but Allardyce maintained yesterday that their relationship is solid. “I’ve not had any friction with him,” he said. “When we have something to discuss, we discuss it and just get on with things.”

Nice to hear, but won't stop the press speculating. Probably including the Times somewhere down the line.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

just sell now, he has the henry syndrome about him, all this speculation just disrupts the squad and the positive attitude that the club are trying to build. The guy doesnt fit into our system either, bye bye michael, utd will be sniffing

just sell now, he has the henry syndrome about him, all this speculation just disrupts the squad and the positive attitude that the club are trying to build. The guy doesnt fit into our system either, bye bye michael, utd will be sniffing

"Utd" already have him, we paid £16m for him. Thanks.

Also, he was always going to stay with us, he will probably stay for the rest of his career.

How "unfashionable" is it, to say that, eh?

It will happen though, he is going to stay here at Newcastle UTD.

as far as i'm concerned this is getting ridiculous. there is no clause, but there will always be speculation around a top player at a smaller club (yes, us!). just see players like arteta, martins, given, even the lescotts of this world etc etc.

he is a newcastle player, at least until january - and i'm happy about that!