Reading pre match thread

NSG

TBF Viduka would have murdered Spurs yesterday the way they were defending. TBF i don't mind what combination we play up front but it would be harsh to leave Oba out.

Its nice to have options.

I think Owen/Viduka will be the better pairing going ahead, but I agree that it would be harsh to drop Martins at this point. I prefer having Milner on the right over Geremi. I think Reading are vulnerable defensively, and I'd like to see two attack-minded players on the flanks. I'd go with this:

Given

Beye        Cacapa    Faye      Enrique

Butt

Emre

Milner                                  N'Zogbia

Owen

Martins

Subs:

Harper

Rozehnal

Geremi

Barton

Viduka

Butt and Emre has nearly always given us balance when they've played together. Emre faded second half (it was his first start in ages) but he was very good in the first half and helps us play on the front foot. The idea of playing a team of battlers away from home is not the most sensible, it's cost us in the past and we really need to try and outplay teams like Reading if we're going to come away with something. We're not going to Old Trafford here.

Butt and Emre do seem to like each others game, it was good seeing them together again yesterday.

I think the tactics will improve as Sam sees the side beginning to gel more, i agree he was far too pragmatic against Derby. His only big mistake this year so far, lets hope he doesnt repeat it at Reading.

Butt and Emre has nearly always given us balance when they've played together. Emre faded second half (it was his first start in ages) but he was very good in the first half and helps us play on the front foot. The idea of playing a team of battlers away from home is not the most sensible, it's cost us in the past and we really need to try and outplay teams like Reading if we're going to come away with something. We're not going to Old Trafford here.

Butt and Emre do seem to like each others game, it was good seeing them together again yesterday.

I think the tactics will improve as Sam sees the side beginning to gel more, i agree he was far too pragmatic against Derby. His only big mistake this year so far, lets hope he doesnt repeat it at Reading.

Can't remember them word for word but his comments on Monday before the game on Century suggested he is fully aware that Derby was a fucking shocker. :nods:

I think Owen/Viduka will be the better pairing going ahead, but I agree that it would be harsh to drop Martins at this point. I prefer having Milner on the right over Geremi. I think Reading are vulnerable defensively, and I'd like to see two attack-minded players on the flanks. I'd go with this:

Given

Butt

Emre

Owen

Martins

Subs:

Harper

Rozehnal

Geremi

Barton

Viduka

YES PLEASE, I have a feeling that Geremi and Smith will both start though...

if we pick up 1 point i would be happy

a draw will be better than reading last season

I don't see how anyone could go into a game against Reading thinking a draw would be a good result.  These are definite must win games if we want to finish top 6.  I for one won't be happy with anything other than 3 points.

We have a far better squad and a farrrr better manager than we did last season.

A draw would be half-decent. A draw and a clean sheet would be decent; certainly another step forward, i reckon. They're pretty average are Reading, but they're not relegation fodder - and i can imagine a lot of teams will drop points at the Madejski this season.

18 points from our first ten games, with a very winnable game against Pompey (what i would consider 'must-win'), would be very pleasing.

Another loss here, however, would be pretty disgraceful.

Guest bobblyrage

I reckon the defence should be left to its own, but Milner should get the nod on the right with the Zog on the left, purely as I like us to try and really stretch opposition midfields. The central midfielders can battle it out to play alongside Butt. Emre has spent his time here 1/3rd off form, 1/3rd injured, and only a 1/3 performing! Now the jig is up! Geremi has been steady in the midddle but has to offer more going forward to  get the slot. Barton has to prove he can give our midfield another dimension if he is to walk into the side!

Upfront I'd be brutal and drop Martins for the away game, away from home I like to see a forward who can battle and hold the ball up a bit, plus challenge in the air, Smith or Viduka give us a dirtY, battling edge away from home. Plus I see Martins as a devastating weapon to set loose against a tired defence ith 20 mins to go.

What a difference this makes from Le Sib or Dyer around this time last year though.

Why are people saying Martins on the bench? Are people forgetting Spurs? Martins scored, Owen didnt, it isnt if Owen is fit he starts, it SHOULD be if one of them scores then THEY start and seen as Oba scored in the previous game he warrents the start.

Why are people saying Martins on the bench? Are people forgetting Spurs? Martins scored, Owen didnt, it isnt if Owen is fit he starts, it SHOULD be if one of them scores then THEY start and seen as Oba scored in the previous game he warrents the start.

Start them both, it worked last game.  The Duke can come on in the 2nd half if we aren't performing.  I'll go with The Wellander's starting line up:

Given

Butt

Emre

Owen

Martins

I'll be happy with a scrappy win or a spirited draw.  ;)

Crap argument imo. The game before that, Owen scored against Everton. Does that mean Martins shouldn't have started on Monday night had Smith or Viduka been available?

Would be disappointed if we didn't pick up 3 points. We have to start winning on't road and build on our good home form. I'd drop Geremi: he's just not doing it for me at the mo. Probably too early to start Barton so I'd give Roz a chance in midfield. At least he can run.

You want to play Butt and Roz in the middle? That would give us loads of creativity.. Butt needs to be paired with either Emre of Barton. Butt ha been immense lately, and in my mind the first one to be written down when BSA decides on the midfield players. Also hoping Smith gets the spot on the bench instead of Shola if Viduka's not fit. Smith looked great with Oba against Everton, and Shola is utter s****! Cant believe hes in our squad even with his massive lack of pace and lousy heading ability. Avg Championship player imo.

Guest ExiledGeordie

Butt did what he was supposed to do against Spurs, break things up and tackle. There;s no way he'll be dropped. I wouldnt be surprised if he brings in Geremi back into the middle. Be interesting to see what happens now with Barton coming back because people are going to have to be bang on form to keep him out and Allardyce didnt buy him to sit him on the bench. He;s a player for home and away games.

Im going on saturday anyway so looking forward to this. A win would really set us up nicely for some tough games coming up:

Portsmouth (h)

Sunderland (a)

Liverpool (h)

Blackburn (a)

Arsenal (h)

Can see a good case for starting Smith upfront tbh. Better in the air, more physical and defends well from the front, all needed in away games. Who he is paired with is another debate but at least you know what your getting with Owen.

Same team as last game. Bring on Smith for Martins/Owen early in the second half if nothing is happening and then throw on Viduka for a midfielder if we're still down with about 15 minutes left.

We need to play this time around (as opposed to what we did against Derby). No hoofing it up because that's probably what Reading will be doing to us. Keep the ball on the ground, Owen will be looking for channels to run into so we'll have an outlet for the defence and midfield. And then of course we should be looking to play the ball behind the defence each and everytime we have a chance because Martins will burn them over and over. He created about 4 chances against Spurs just by being a fast tit so we need to utilize this attribute of his over and over and over again.

Butt and Emre do seem to have developed a balance in midfield, and it's even better that Butt doesn't seem to be alone in trying to join in the attack (which he was when Geremi was in center mid). The only real position I'm worried about is RM because Geremi will be up against a pacey-ish leftback (Shorey). He was ineffective (at best) against Spurs, so maybe Milner should have a go. That's the only change that'd be acceptable.

Anyway, howay the lads. Win this and we're at the 2pts/game average = top-four form!

--------------------------given----------------------------

beye---------faye-----------------cacapa---------enrique

milner-------butt------------------barton---------n'zogbia

---------------owen-----------------martins--------------

subs

harper

rozehnal

smith

emre

geremi

This is assuming that viduka is injured like. Also i wouldn't play emre away from home because he goes missing to much maybe we could use him as an impact player from the bench. For me it is a straight battle with butt and geremi for one place and for me you just can't drop butt and i don't rate geremi out on the wing so i would drop him.

--------------------------given----------------------------

beye---------faye-----------------cacapa---------enrique

milner-------butt------------------barton---------n'zogbia

---------------owen-----------------martins--------------

subs

harper

rozehnal

smith

emre

geremi

This is assuming that viduka is injured like. Also i wouldn't play emre away from home because he goes missing to much maybe we could use him as an impact player from the bench. For me it is a straight battle with butt and geremi for one place and for me you just can't drop butt and i don't rate geremi out on the wing so i would drop him.

Damn, I'm happy with our back four. I couldn't imagine being able to say that last year. It would be nice to see a clean sheet, though. Considering how little EPL experience they have, it's not a surprise I suppose. Once they get settled, I think we're going to have one of the tougher defenses in the league.

I agree with this lineup, except that I wouldn't have both Smith and Emre on the bench, over Viduka (if he's fit). Sam seems intent on playing Smith in midfield, so if Barton is indeed a guaranteed start from here on out, I can't see where Emre is going to fit in, unfortunately. I suppose it's nice to have options.

My team if all fit

Given

Beye Cacapa Faye Enrique

Milner  Butt  Emre  Zoggy

Owen  Viduka

predictions 0-0 not to confident due to our poor away form plus i think reading will be right up for this.