Reading pre match thread

NSG

We have had a very good start to the season, no doubting that.  20 points (assuming we win) after 10 games is a very good return if you can keep that going for a season.

We should be confident going into this game.  I say play the same system as Monday, no need to revert to a defensive and non-creative 4-3-3.  We need to go and play with confidence and make the opportunities we get count.

It'll be interesting to see if Allardyce keeps a fit Owen out of the starting lineup this season, should others do better.

I'd be amazed if anybody at the club could do better than a fit Owen.

Depends on the system, amongst other things.

Personally, i can't see him changing the team. His away line-ups have been odd at times, but he's not daft. As i said before, the only change that could happen is upfront, and swap Smith in for Martins, but i can't see him doing that because if we play with pace up top then we should win.

More nervous about this game than any other so far. This is the litmus test for Sam from my point of view, if he sets out with another Derby-type limitation debacle I will lose another smidgeon of confidence in the man.

Hoping Parky is right with his mind-games opinion.

More nervous about this game than any other so far. This is the litmus test for Sam from my point of view, if he sets out with another Derby-type limitation debacle I will lose another smidgeon of confidence in the man.

Agreed, this will tell us a hell of a lot more than the Spurs game. This type of game has been a sewn-on loss or if we were lucky, draw in previous years. The ability to pick up wins in games like this will be the difference between 6th-10th and 5th-6th IMO

Agreed, this will tell us a hell of a lot more than the Spurs game. This type of game has been a sewn-on loss or if we were lucky, draw in previous years. The ability to pick up wins in games like this will be the difference between 6th-10th and 5th-6th IMO

This is spot-on - we need to win this match(and others like it) if we are to entertain any thoughts of finishing higher than 9th or 10th ; as danswan says, results at places like Reading mean the difference between also-rans and UEFA Cup football next season..

We could perhaps expect the odd blip at places like Derby when the team was just beginning to bed in, but I believe we should be able to get something at Reading ; failure to do so will mean just as many questions about the current team's attitude to Away games as have been levelled at Newcastle sides during many of the past 40 years. The ability to dig out results even when playing badly away from home is what separates top sides from the rest...we shall see...

The missus is dragging me off to a bloody Halloween party in Lancashire, so I'm not sure I'll catch the match. Praying that we stuff them. There'd better be some hot chicas in skimpy costumes or I'm going to be pissed off.

Guest newcastle4life

Important win to show we can win away and keep us in Europe contention going for 2-1 win to the toon owen and Martins to score if they both play if not one of them will score twice.

So nervous about this game is massive for our season and could set us off on a good run

if we win would be a massive result

still say 0-0 but hoping we can sneak a goal and keep a clean sheet

TOON TOON BLACK AND WHITE ARMY

Going to be a tough game this one, it will be interesting to see what Sam does with Smith being back after his one match ban. He cannot drop Martins but will he be brave enough to drop Owen? for though me Smith should be on the bench with Owen and Martins getting another shot, their pace is what we need away from home, just try and get them  in behind Reading and not over commit players from the back so we can stay solid and not concede silly goals.