Spurs appoint Juande Ramos

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You'd presume so.

They really should not be doing this badly. I don't get it - decent enough players, and (I thought) a decent enough manager.

At least with us we've got this debacle to use as an excuse.

Christ I can't believe how bad they are.  I actually believe that they could get relagated now, Corluka will be out for a bit, King is a sick note, both Dawson and Bale banned for two games.  I keep pointing the above point out to my housemate, there is genuine light at the end of the tunnel for us, but them.  Fizzy pop anyone.

a lot of people were saying at the start of the season that spurs have their usual trouble. loads of nice flair players but no physical strength. a very poor mans version of arsenal a couple of years back when they could be pushed about.

Are Spurs are feeling the same kind of problems we have had? Ie the system not letting the manager do his bit to a satisfactory standard?

If I was the manager and got in some of the players their 'system' did, I'd not have been too upset. However the problem is that they then sold their best players (strikers at that), didn't replace them well enough, and failed to really strengthen their midfield defensively, which is where they always seem to struggle.

Yes but by the same accord, their playing staff on paper is considerably better.

Makes no difference if the players Ramos wanted and the players they brought in were different. Just asking the question.

Yes but by the same accord, their playing staff on paper is considerably better.

They're midfield is the only place were they look better IMO.  Put Owen and Martins up front for them and they wouldn't be in the position they are now.

Are Spurs are feeling the same kind of problems we have had? Ie the system not letting the manager do his bit to a satisfactory standard?

If I was the manager and got in some of the players their 'system' did, I'd not have been too upset. However the problem is that they sold their best players (strikers at that), didn't replace them well enough, and failed to really strengthen their midfield defensively, which is where they always seem to struggle.

Who's to say Ramos didn't want some midfield muscle and they ignored him? Who's to say they didn't promise not to sell Berbatov and then did so?

Sounds familiar... ;)

Guest Heneage

Makes no difference if the players Ramos wanted and the players they brought in were different. Just asking the question.

Aye I know what you're saying same system same outcome. But even if Ramos didn't want any of them, that side should not be there. Its down to poor man management.

Ramos worked with a DOF at Seville but he chose the players to sign. He would say what position & the type of player they were looking for, he would then pick the player from a shortlist presented by the DOF. At Spurs I get the feeling Comical goes shopping for names or players with a sell on value rather than team building.

They're midfield is the only place were they look better IMO.  Put Owen and Martins up front for them and they wouldn't be in the position they are now.

very true anyone who rate: Bent, Pavlyuchenko, and Dos Santos going to be good players is mental. Missing keane was the most influencing...

he's obviously no mug after winning the uefa twice in a row, but he had a very good understanding with monchi about which players would come in. i doubt he has that kind of relationship with comolli. Monchi said he never went out and got a player Ramos would not want- there'd be no point. likewise Ramos didnt veto any Monchi suggestions as the two had such good communication that the one knew exactly what the other wanted or was thinking.

spurs have had a horrible transfer window, ironically, after starting it so well. last season, no matter how unbalanced their side was, they could fall back on one of the best strike partnerships in the league (and even defoe on the bench). now they have darren bent up front alone and charlton got relegated with that. there is nothing saving their deficancies elsewhere on the pitch.

for instance modric is a good player but he needs people alongside him who will provide muscle, presence, poise - so spurs play the soft as shite, headless chickens of zokora and jenas. any defence relying on michael dawson is totally fucked, the keeper is still settling in, dos santos is a circus act etc

also think ramos is struggling with the language - i dont think he can motivate or man manage his players. he tinkers a bit too much as well.

If I was the manager and got in some of the players their 'system' did, I'd not have been too upset. However the problem is that they sold their best players (strikers at that), didn't replace them well enough, and failed to really strengthen their midfield defensively, which is where they always seem to struggle.

Who's to say Ramos didn't want some midfield muscle and they ignored him? Who's to say they didn't promise not to sell Berbatov and then did so?

Sounds familiar... ;)

I believe Ramos has always had another person doing the transfers wherever he's been so it's no excuse for him. Perhaps the fact he can't speak English isn't helping him...or the fact he has to work with the cunt as his assistant.

Guest Heneage

Ramos paying the price for Danny Comical being useless.

They're paying the price for being a selling club.

True

But what options where available? 2 of the big four came calling and while Keane was professional, Berbatov just spat his dummy out.

Ramos paying the price for Danny Comical being useless.

They're paying the price for being a selling club.

True

But what options where available? 2 of the big four came calling and while Keane was professional, Berbatov just spat his dummy out.

They should of sold Berba weeks before then they would of been able to bring a replacement instead of scrunging around late on transfer deadline day. Again with Kean the tried the old tapping up line to squeeze more cash out Liverpool. Levy has to feel like he has won every deal if his ego had let him make maybe a few million less his team may of been better off.

How can their midfield be good when it contains Jermaine Jenas as the first name on the teamsheet? If they go down, he'll find his level, Championship player at best.

I loved Martin Tyler today:

"Jermaine Jenas...so often the craftsman"

*Jenas hits a terrible free kick into the stands*

"But his craft deserted him there"

I was roflcoptering across the floor.