Are you unhappy with how we play under Allardyce?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's a total media myth about Allardyce anyway as far as I'm concerned. We don't play worse stuff than any of the teams around us, or even the rest of the league imo. Only Man Utd and Arsenal can claim to be something above functional.

Allardyce's long ball football is famous because it is successful.  The reality is most clubs outside the top sides do it, but badly, just sam nearly/did become a top side using it.  We played long ball under souness and roeder, so it would be stupid if we complained now.  If the balls to martins v man city and spurs are 'long balls', more please

We play winning football thats all that matters tbh.

:thup:

Who cares as long as we are winning ? First of all we have to establish and win something, then we can discuss the way we play...

I don't think this thread is relevant tbh... sorry... can't see the man utd or arsenal supporters wasting time on such topics either...

"Be glad for what you got as long as it's working" O0

In recent years, Greece won Euro 2004, Liverpool won the Champions League, Valencia won La Liga, Chelsea won the Premier League and Italy won the world cup all with a defensive mindset. There has certainly been a trend towards this kind of coaching and tactics in recent years. The increasing amount of money in the game has raised the stakes and as a result many have set their teams up more cautiously.

However, we have to remember that since the Premier League began it has been won almost exclusively by very attacking teams, while Brazil have won more world cups than anybody by playing a very open game.

People look at the success of Greece, they see how Everton and Osasuna qualified for the Champions League, and they figure that a defensive set-up, often with only 1 up front, is the safer approach. But for every Everton or Osasuna, there is a Newcastle (under Robson), a Villarreal or a Sevilla who do it by playing attacking, open football. I don't think the Allardyce/Benitez/Mourinho football offers any more security than the Wenger/Ferguson football. If anything, history suggests otherwise.

Some of our play away from home has been very poor and needs to improve, I just wish he'd try to play the same team away from home with the same formation and same attitude.  Go defensive against the better teams and attack the weaker teams.

Agreed, Mick - we need to improve drastically in away games, but with Capaca & Faye in the middle I expect a better showing at Reading than Man City ; if we lose here, its a bad sign - this is a team we should be beating if we want to progress beyond mid-table.

i think the main thing sam has given us is defensive stability, something we... well, havent had for the last 10 years or so!

now he needs to shapen up the offencive part! wich i recon wont be so long until he has that one figured out! remember, new players, new positions!

the main problem now is delivery from defense to wingers, and a main man linking up midfield and attack!

still, i enjoy watching newcastle matches now (as under the days of Sou, Roe, i werent!)

becouse the players look like they want to play! and enjoy it!

theyr happy!, im happy :) they want to fight for the ball!

Guest NUFCGator

How could you be unhappy with the way we play. It all starts from a good defense which is being built up and solidified. Even if Sam told them to go play quick, short passes and flicks through a developed attack I don't think we'd even have enough players capable of playing to that style. Let's just try to win for a while before we worry about how we play.

In recent years, Greece won Euro 2004, Liverpool won the Champions League, Valencia won La Liga, Chelsea won the Premier League and Italy won the world cup all with a defensive mindset. There has certainly been a trend towards this kind of coaching and tactics in recent years. The increasing amount of money in the game has raised the stakes and as a result many have set their teams up more cautiously.

However, we have to remember that since the Premier League began it has been won almost exclusively by very attacking teams, while Brazil have won more world cups than anybody by playing a very open game.

People look at the success of Greece, they see how Everton and Osasuna qualified for the Champions League, and they figure that a defensive set-up, often with only 1 up front, is the safer approach. But for every Everton or Osasuna, there is a Newcastle (under Robson), a Villarreal or a Sevilla who do it by playing attacking, open football. I don't think the Allardyce/Benitez/Mourinho football offers any more security than the Wenger/Ferguson football. If anything, history suggests otherwise.

Good post.

If we were Liverpool or Chelsea then i'd be concerned in the football we play.

But were not them, and winning is a nice feeling we haven't had in many years, and that will do me for now, and for the next couple of seasons at least.

Guest Synthespian

Loved some of our attacking play, but hated our defense.

Love the new defence, looking forward to seeing a bit more adventure and creativity.

But no ... no problem with the style at the moment.

With either two or three up front.

Nice one Lawro. :(

Aye what a mong. We were a joy to watch again away from home today. nil-nil ftw. :thup:

I'm amazed there were only 8 of us in the poll who were not entirely unconcerned by our playing style, especially in away games and cemented by todays display. But I guess that's what a decent result does to people.

i dont care about the style of football, i care about the effectiveness of it. if Allardyce tried this 'go for 0-0' football against the top teams and we came away with a point i'd be glad. it's troubling when he tries playing it at derby and reading tho.

i dont care about the style of football, i care about the effectiveness of it. if Allardyce tried this 'go for 0-0' football against the top teams and we came away with a point i'd be glad. it's troubling when he tries playing it at derby and reading tho.

Spot on, that.

Spot spot on.

Spot on, that.

Guest Harry-Norway

i say we play a boring kind of football,we are good as a home team,but 4 aways lost in a row will never get us up in top 6

a few years ago the called Arsenal for boring Arsenal,now its boring Newcastle

Spot on, that.

What, that if we came away with a point or better you'd be glad? Well.... ummm yeah.  O0

I'm all for effective winning tactics rather that flouncy faaaabulous football. But to attempt to kill the game and fail (against even poor opposition) is a damn sight more depressing everytime.

Sam needs to resign before he is sacked, simply not good enough for NUFC.

:lol:

There's actually an element of truth about it, however far-fetched it may sound right now. Sam's coaching at the highest level here, allegedly, and if he can't see the pressure he puts the defence under by playing with no width he must be in the wrong job. The players clearly have a different mind-set away from home also, they look less self-assured and more prone to mistakes. Clearly the psychologist isn't earning his pay either. Lose at Sunderland like that and there's many that will never forgive him.