Sam IS A Tactical Genius

Crumpy Gunt

i honestly believe he is no better than our previous 2 managers when it comes to tactics...we are still going away from home and rolling over to shit opposition. we have the quality of players to be going to derby reading and sunderland and coming away with 3 points end of story. Any manager with an tactical know how would exploit our quality and use it to our strengths. no use having quality when we play kick and rush football thats fucking atrocious to watch (cant rem the last time i came from a match thinking we played very very well there). I think Ashley has set targets and if we dont meet them Sam will be gone just like Martin Jol at the spuds

He played for a point and fkd it up, but he is miles better than Souness and Roeder in so many ways not just his fitness regime.

Not every manager gets their tactics right for every game no matter who it is, Sam setup for how he thought Reading would play and Reading setup for how they thought we would play.

Fact is it was there players who looked more together and ready to fight for each other, that is what served Reading so well last season and it has been what every Toon team has lacked for years now.

So far this season we have conceded goals from not helping out our fullbacks so i think Sam though Emre and Geremi would offer more fullback cover than Milner and Zoggy but that was not how it turned out with both Emre and Geremi drifting into the middle.

At least now he knows that does not work.

Guest shaun11177

For the 2nd goal he says the back four are too deep, 2 players went for the same ball and the fullbacks didnt come round to cover-more drilling on the training ground needed methinks.

The strategy away is clear play ultra defensive and hope we get one chance which Owen will score pretty much the same tactics as used by Dalglish when he hoped the same thing would happen with Shearer up front it didnt we ended up losing countless games 1-0.

His negative attitude about away games and fear of getting beat must translate to the players so much. If he had an attitude of it being just the same as a home game then this would give the players much more confidence. The mentality for away games at the moment is resulting in us being beaten before we turn up. The only thing keeping the critics off sam's back is the home form.

I remember our successes under Robson during our 'glory' years (i.e. when we consistently qualified for Yoorup) were based on our successes on the road. What was it, 13 road wins the year we finished 3rd?

Hardly 'tight' 1-0 wins either, they were, we were fuckin' free-scoring on the road just as at home.

Played for a point against Reading? What's he's going to do when we go to Old Trafford?  >:(

"Right, remember lads - keep it in single figures"

Seriously though, I'm not going to slate Sam yet until he shows he's never going to learn from mistakes like yesterday.

Exactly. 

Those of you who think the "he'll get it right" camp is trying to quash your PoV should reconsider. 

When people on here say "give him time", that is NOT equivalent in the slightest to saying that you don't have a right to be unhappy about the result.  What they are saying is that the kind of over the top railing that goes on needs to be reined in.  People wonder why others throw the label of "fickle" onto a club that's won sweet fuck-all for so long?  Because of that kind of overreaction to a bad result.

Played for a point against Reading? What's he's going to do when we go to Old Trafford?  >:(

Seriously though, I'm not going to slate Sam yet until he shows he's never going to learn from mistakes like yesterday.

One thing he should learn is Butt/Cacapa are no-no's for away games. Neither of them looked up for it against Reading or Derby.

We badly need creativity in the middle and a striker to hold it up. Here's to hoping these problems are adressed in January.

I have a lot of time for Sam though he will do well if given the chance. We sit 8th and to be honest i'd be *very* happy with that come the end of the season. 

i honestly believe he is no better than our previous 2 managers when it comes to tactics...we are still going away from home and rolling over to s*** opposition.

So did Bobby.  2 away wins when we came 5th.  I'm worried about winning at home, this doesn't worry.

We would've been winning 1-0 and conceded a late equalizer if it where that season.

Our problem was not holding onto our leads. We drew plenty of games that season, we didn't lose too many on the road.

This isn't the same situation.

Yesterdays result was a big disappointment but we simply have to give Allardyce and the team some time. The club has been performing poorly since Robson left and its unrealistic to expect SA to come in and turn around the stagnation in less than half a season. There'll be a lot of ups and downs but some fans seem unable to accept it.

I think this year will be a lot like O'Neill's debut season at Villa. Lay some foundations and then move the club on. If the fans are unwilling to allow a new man to come in and do this and instead demand instant success, then they'll be badly let down.

Yesterdays result was a big disappointment but we simply have to give Allardyce and the team some time. The club has been performing poorly since Robson left and its unrealistic to expect SA to come in and turn around the stagnation in less than half a season. There'll be a lot of ups and downs but some fans seem unable to accept it.

I think this year will be a lot like O'Neill's debut season at Villa. Lay some foundations and then move the club on. If the fans are unwilling to allow a new man to come in and do this and instead demand instant success, then they'll be badly let down.

I think people are more angry with SA's approach to such games ie the sops about 0-0's etc...

I really want Sam to succeed here but his inability or unwillingness to change his "small club" mentality may prove decisive. He needs to change his ways but can he? To go and play for a draw at Reading is a disgrace to the supporters, espescially those who forked out their hard-earned and made the trip down the country and back. It's unacceptable.

The 2-1 scoreline flattered us. For a team to be consistently outplayed all over the park by inferior players does not bode well for any manager. He may fancy himself as a tough guy, but in reality he has bottled it away from home every time, and when you do that you get what you deserve - nothing.

If he plays for the draw against sunderland we will lose, and he will lose a massive amount of respect from the fans. sunderland will play for the win and we must do the same. The derby is all about regional pride and a rivalry that goes back centuries. Ruud Gullit tried to be clever by dropping Shearer and Ferguson - we lost to the mackems and 3 days later he was out of a job. I hope Allardyce is aware of what this game means to the supporters, a gutless team selection and tactics will not go down well at all.

I have a lot of time for Sam though he will do well if given the chance. We sit 8th and to be honest i'd be *very* happy with that come the end of the season. 

As would I however I'm worried about what will happen when we face the big boys or teams around us. We've had a relatively easy start and we are only 8th.

DDL against Boro, Derby & Reading (considering their position) really isn't good enough.

I'm not particularly looking forward to the derby at the mo although a positive result next weekend may change that. The tramps will have identified our weakness is dealing with high long balls and will be launching everything at Jones.

It would be good to see the team set up to out-score them, as i fear that if we try and contain them we'll end up beaten.

I really want Sam to succeed here but his inability or unwillingness to change his "small club" mentality may prove decisive. He needs to change his ways but can he?

If he plays for the draw against sunderland we will lose, and he will lose a massive amount of respect from the fans. sunderland will play for the win and we must do the same. The derby is all about regional pride and a rivalry that goes back centuries. Ruud Gullit tried to be clever by dropping Shearer and Ferguson - we lost to the mackems and 3 days later he was out of a job. I hope Allardyce is aware of what this game means to the supporters, a gutless team selection and tactics will not go down well at all.

It's bit early to be saying he wont change his small club mentality.

And yes we HAVE to go for the win against the Mackems.

Parky is right. It's the attitude that we have a problem with. We should only go to the top 4 LOOKING for a draw. Perhaps if we give it a go and still only get a draw then there wouldn't be a problem.