Steve McClaren

Dave

Sir Bobby was the man to replace KK - that happens and we win the league or something.

I've said that for years mate - Barca stitched him up too - moved him upstairs a few months after he showed loyalty to them for Van Gaal!

Sir Bobby was the man to replace KK - that happens and we win the league or something.

I've said that for years mate - Barca stitched him up too - moved him upstairs a few months after he showed loyalty to them for Van Gaal!

Yeah - always remember that interview he did live on football focus where you could see he was almost conflicted between Barca and us. It was clear it was a tussle between doing what his heart was telling him (us) and his personal integrity/honouring his word. He was the undoubted man for the job after KK.

Dalglish annihilated us. We needed someone to arrive with a small spanner for minor adjustment. That twat turned up with a kango hammer.

Dalglish was destined to fail, just like SMC. Dalglish walked into a similar situation in many ways in that the club was entrenched in a certain culture and he was the antithesis of it.

How was that a similar situation to what McClaren walked into? He replaced John Carver/Alan Pardew :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

He brought in Speed, Solano and Given, but people forget that the football was absolutely shit. He was unlucky with Shearer getting injured, definitely, but he tried to completely overhaul a team that had just nearly won the league. Yes, it needed to be changed, but the way in which he did it by bringing in players like Rush, Barnes and Pearce was never going to work, everyone could see it, and it didn't.

Dalglish was destined to fail, just like SMC. Dalglish walked into a similar situation in many ways in that the club was entrenched in a certain culture and he was the antithesis of it.

How was that a similar situation to what McClaren walked into? He replaced John Carver/Alan Pardew :lol:

Yeah, Macca didn't inherit a team that had nearly won the title  :lol:

He also helped set the foundations for the Sir Bobby team (Given, Dabizas, Speed, Solano, brought through Hughes)...

The problem was, he burnt the house down, leaving only the foundations. And it wasn't a poxy bedsit, it was a luxury mansion :lol:.

Yeah - always remember that interview he did live on football focus where you could see he was almost conflicted between Barca and us. It was clear it was a tussle between doing what his heart was telling him (us) and his personal integrity/honouring his word. He was the undoubted man for the job after KK.

Dalglish annihilated us. We needed someone to arrive with a small spanner for minor adjustment. That t*** turned up with a kango hammer.

I distinctly remember watching that interview. I'd have only been 7 years old and I'd never heard of Bobby before, but it left an impression on me - and I always think back to it with a 'what if'.

Dalglish annihilated us. We needed someone to arrive with a small spanner for minor adjustment. That t*** turned up with a kango hammer.

I distinctly remember watching that interview. I'd have only been 7 years old and I'd never heard of Bobby before, but it left an impression on me - and I always think back to it with a 'what if'.

Remember the interview itself like it was yesterday. Such an honourable bloke. I think it might have been before a home game but can't be 100%.

Yeah well, we'll see if tunes change if we go down. Dalglish had no Shearer for the season and suffered the consequences.

My tune won't change. SMc was a minor symptom of the disease this club is fighting and, whether we're relegated or not, he'll never be the sole reason we're down.

KD had a far more damaging effect on NUFC given the respective circumstances.

Aye so damaging in fact that we were finishing and 4th and 3rd a few seasons later. Including players like Solano, Speed, Shay and Dabizas that he signed, by the way.

Dalglish's team were aging and on the way down. He had one bad season in which we finished 13th, beat Barcelona and reached a cup final. McClaren has quite possibly gotten us relegated with his cowardice and ineptitude.

Dalglish was also sacked when we'd made an unbeaten start to the season purely because we'd drew 0-0 at home with Charlton and the crowd were moaning.

Dalglish gets a lot of unfair criticism in my opinion.

He was hamstrung on transfers by the PLC that Keegan quit over.

He little or no youth or reserve team players coming through and ready to play due to Keegan scrapping the reserve team.

Aye. A lot of Dalglish's dealings were rebuilding a reserve team (Brady, Serrant, Pinas, Gudjonnson (sp?), Coppinger, Robinson, etc). Obviously there were a few poor signings, but as well as the 4 who went on to be important in the Sir Bobby team, there was also Hamann who second half of the 98/99 season was probably the best midfielder I've seen here.

Think he gets a raw deal personally.

IN

Mar 1997 Des Hamilton MID Bradford City £2,000,000

Mar 1997 Bjarni Gudjonsson FWD IA Akranes £250,000

Jun 1997 Paddy Kelly MID Celtic Free

Jun 1997 Shay Given GKR Blackburn £1,500,000

Jun 1997 Temuri Ketsbaia MID AEK Athens Free

Jul 1997 Jon Dahl Tomasson FWD Heerenveen £2,500,000

Jul 1997 Stuart Pearce DEF Nottingham Forest Free

Jul 1997 Alessandro Pistone DEF Inter Milan £4,500,000

Jul 1997 Brian Pinas MID Feyenoord Free

Aug 1997 John Barnes MID Liverpool Free

Aug 1997 Ian Rush FWD Leeds United Free

Oct 1997 Carlos Gonzalez FWD Sydney Olympic Free

Nov 1997 Ralf Keidel MID Schweinfurt Free

Nov 1997 Paul Dalglish FWD Liverpool Free

Jan 1998 David Terrier DEF Unattached (West Ham) Free

Jan 1998 Andreas Andersson FWD AC Milan £3,000,000

Jan 1998 Andy Griffin DEF Stoke City £1,500,000

Feb 1998 Gary Speed MID Everton £5,500,000

Mar 1998 Jamie Coppinger FWD Darlington £250,000

Mar 1998 Paul Robinson FWD Darlington £250,000

Mar 1998 Stephen Glass MID Aberdeen £650,000

Mar 1998 Nicos Dabizas DEF Olympiakos £2,000,000

Jun 1998 George Georgiadis MID Panathanaikos £500,000

Jun 1998 Lionel Perez GKR Sunderland Free

Jun 1998 Stephane Guivarc'h FWD Auxerre £3,500,000

Jul 1998 Carl Serrant DEF Oldham £500,000

Jul 1998 Garry Brady MID Tottenham £650,000

Jul 1998 Laurent Charvet DEF Cannes £750,000

Aug 1998 Dietmar Hamann MID Bayern Munich £4,500,000

Aug 1998 Nolberto Solano MID Boca Juniors £2,500,000

OUT

Jan 1997 Paul Kitson DEF West Ham £2,300,000

Jun 1997 Lee Clark MID Sunderland £2,500,000

Jul 1997 Robbie Elliott DEF Bolton £3,500,000

Jul 1997 David Ginola MID Tottenham £2,000,000

Jul 1997 Les Ferdinand FWD Tottenham £6,000,000

Aug 1997 Peter Beardsley FWD Bolton £450,000

Jan 1998 Tino Asprilla FWD Parma £6,000,000

Feb 1998 John Beresford DEF Southampton £1,500,000

Mar 1998 Jimmy Crawford MID Reading £100,000

Mar 1998 Paul Brayson FWD Reading Free

May 1998 Brian Pinas MID Feyenoord £200,000

May 1998 Ian Rush FWD Wrexham Free

May 1998 Carlos Gonzalez FWD Packed In Released

Jun 1998 Jon Dahl Tomasson FWD Feyenoord £2,500,000

Jul 1998 Darren Peacock DEF Blackburn £100,000

Jul 1998 Shaka Hislop GKR West Ham Free

Jul 1998 Pavel Srnicek GKR Banik Ostrava Free

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3497826/Rafa-Benitez-tells-underperforming-Newcastle-United-players-no-days-new-manager-bids-up.html

Rafa Benitez has got tough with Newcastle's underperforming squad, scrapping days off and introducing double training sessions in a bid to save the club from relegation.

Newcastle are second from bottom in the Premier League table and have suffered eight straight away defeats ahead of Sunday's Tyne-Wear derby against Sunderland.

Now Sportsmail can reveal that the Spaniard has axed days off in the build-up to matches, a tradition under sacked head coach Steve McClaren which saw the players enjoy time off 72 hours before a game.

Think I'd heard of this 'tradition' before but for fuck's sake  :lol: No wonder they took to the pitch like a bunch of strangers again every week and looking half asleep.

You'd think when you're running out of ideas for what's going wrong to the point you take a punt on starting Riviere up front in the game widely tipped as your last chance to avoid the sack, you might have experimented with actually meeting your players for a quick training session before a match just to see if that had anything to do with it.

"Hi lads, long time no see.  Nice few days off?  Anyway, just before we go out on the pitch, everyone remember what we went over in training on Wednesday?  Was it Wednesday?"

Surely they don't mean, they get 3 days off in a row?  Just 3 days before a game, they get the day off?

If I remember correctly.  The week when McClaren finally got sacked.  They had the Monday off and then the Friday, as well.  As it was the game was on the following Monday. 

It's still ridiculous, like.  I know a lot of clubs are going to give players days off during the week.  But in our position.  We should have had everyone in the building, working around the clock, trying to find a way out of this mess.  Instead, we were just doing morning sessions and missing 1-2 days training a week.

:idiot2:

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa is big on fitness, Liverpool were a very fit side that could go the distance in any match against anyone. Players should get 1 day off.

I assume the regularity and quantity of training is based mainly keeping the players in the best condition possible for the games, but you'd think you could do a hell of a lot of tactical work/walk throughs of tactical moves and/or set pieces on days where they should be "resting".