Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest LucaAltieri

Played 67

Won 40

Drew 17

Lost 10

Looks pretty good to me. He f***** up the WC when he picked his squad.

He's not a motivator. Over the course of a season (or qualification) he could get it right. But in terms of getting players fired up for the big game he was hopeless (see Chelsea vs. Man City)

yet many in the england camp said he could motivate, i'll counter your chelsea v citeh with germany b v england,.

Played 67

Won 40

Drew 17

Lost 10

He's not a motivator. Over the course of a season (or qualification) he could get it right. But in terms of getting players fired up for the big game he was hopeless (see Chelsea vs. Man City)

yet many in the england camp said he could motivate, i'll counter your chelsea v citeh with germany b v england,.

ok . you may believe that in order to try and prove something

Guest LucaAltieri

Played 67

Won 40

Drew 17

Lost 10

I thought it was a common opinion. Was a good result but Germany were terrible and were missing some players.

But alright, even giving you that one...  how many times did England just bend over and take it under Sven?

England v. Portugal 2006.... we weren't beaten by a better team, the whole team (bar Hargreaves) just gave up.

France v. England 2004.... went ahead, then just sat back, lost 2-1.

England v. Brazil 2002.... We never looked like getting back into the game.

I'm cherry-picking results... we didn't lose that many games. We could see-off the dross for the most part but when it comes to the big game we've rarely stepped up.

Played 67

Won 40

Drew 17

Lost 10

I thought it was a common opinion. Was a good result but Germany were terrible and were missing some players.

But alright, even giving you that one...  how many times did England just bend over and take it under Sven?

England v. Portugal 2006.... we weren't beaten by a better team, the whole team (bar Hargreaves) just gave up.

I'm cherry-picking results... we didn't lose that many games. We could see-off the dross for the most part but when it comes to the big game we've rarely stepped up.

on each occasion we were beaten by temas with better players...it's not so very hard to understand (portugal maybe hard to call but they were at home etc)

Guest LucaAltieri

Played 67

Won 40

Drew 17

Lost 10

on each occasion we were beaten by temas with better players...it's not so very hard to understand (portugal maybe hard to call but they were at home etc)

England don't have the best team in the world. We need a manager who can get the players to play above themselves. The original point I was making.

Italy aren't the best team in the word really, are they? Greece weren't the best team in Europe in 2004. South Korea got results against better teams in 2002.

If we are going to win something, or at least challenge in a major tournament, we need a manager who can take an England team with all their weaknesses and get the best out of them and then some.

Sven wasn't that guy even if he is a good manager. McClaren definitely wasn't that guy.

Played 67

Won 40

Drew 17

Lost 10

England don't have the best team in the world. We need a manager who can get the players to play above themselves. The original point I was making.

Italy aren't the best team in the word really, are they? Greece weren't the best team in Europe in 2004. South Korea got results against better teams in 2002.

If we are going to win something, or at least challenge in a major tournament, we need a manager who can take an England team with all their weaknesses and get the best out of them and then some.

Sven wasn't that guy even if he is a good manager. McClaren definitely wasn't that guy.

italians have a system that works, greece proved that  europe wasn't strong at the time (denmark's euro champs win was better)korea just proved that most host nations get further than they should

How many of the Northern Ireland and Scotland squads would get in ours?

Yet if we'd shown half their spirit and teamwork we'd have walked this group.

every tournament throws up minnows who play above themselves. iceland a few years back, eire,finland have all had good runs in their time.

I don't buy in to that. England have plenty of spirit. One of our problems is that we seem to think that spirit is enough (witness the clueless Pearce as both player and manager - sums England up, bellicose, witless mediocrity).

Our problems go much deeper. We're nowhere near as good as we think we are, technically we were bummed in the face ( © you) tonight, and if we'd made it to the finals, we'd only have got bummed in the face by some other supposedly second rate side in the quarter finals.

I don't buy in to that. England have plenty of spirit. One of our problems is that we seem to think that spirit is enough (witness the clueless Pearce as both player and manager - sums England up, bellicose, witless mediocrity).

Our problems go much deeper. We're nowhere near as good as we think we are, technically we were bummed in the face ( © you) tonight, and if we'd made it to the finals, we'd only have got bummed in the face by some other supposedly second rate side in the quarter finals.

croatia are no second rate side and pearce was not clueless as a player

Oh I'm not saying we're competent by any stretch of the imagination. Thing is those two played as teams and went very close as a consequence, we threw a load of superstars on the pitch and hoped.

croatia are no second rate side and pearce was not clueless as a player

Badly worded. I meant clueless as a manager, bellicose as player and manager.

And I said "supposed second rate" because they're actually considerably better than us, yet the great british public prefers to think otherwise.

Oh I'm not saying we're competent by any stretch of the imagination. Thing is those two played as teams and went very close as a consequence, we threw a load of superstars on the pitch and hoped.

When he announced the team and he'd found a way to fit Lampard and Gerrard in without dropping Barry, it spoke volumes, really.

When he announced the team and he'd found a way to fit Lampard and Gerrard in without dropping Barry, it spoke volumes, really.

See opening post: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=46885

See opening post: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=46885

Indeed. Hoping against fucking hope that it might work, despite all evidence to the contrary.

he's been sacked, apparently. according to the sun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article492787.ece

McClaren axed after Euro exit

By PAT SHEEHAN and SHAUN CUSTIS

Published: Today

STEVE McCLAREN was last night sacked as England manager.

The FA will rubberstamp the decision at an emergency board meeting this morning after England’s Euro dream died following the humiliating defeat by Croatia.

Immediately after the game, McClaren had insisted he would not quit. But we can reveal senior FA board members informed McClaren half an hour later that he was out.

Seat cancelled

The doomed England boss will receive a £2.5million golden handshake despite failing to get England to the 2008 Euro finals.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick, his trusted aid Simon Johnson, FA chairman Geoff Thompson and chairman of the international committee Noel White met at 10.30 last night and decided to call an FA board meeting for 8.30am this morning.

McClaren had been booked on the plane to South Africa tomorrow for Sunday’s World Cup draw in Durban but his seat will be cancelled.

He had always said he wanted to be judged after the 12 Euro qualifiers but last night’s Wembley horror show signalled just how low England had sunk under his leadership.

Not stunning clairvoyancy really is it.

The doomed England boss will receive a £2.5million golden handshake despite failing to get England to the 2008 Euro finals.

It's not in the least surprising but it is genuinely frightening. Football management seems to be one of the only careers where you do better from failure than success.

It's not in the least surprising but it is genuinely frightening. Football management seems to be one of the only careers where you do better from failure than success.

One would think that after Sven the FA would take more care when drafting up contracts.

might be worth changing the thread title.

as for a successor, i'd hope we go for a manager who doesn't fanny around the issue and addresses our weaknesses head on. there's plenty of managers out there who realise our technical disadvantage, not least bilic and hiddink who have both targeted it in recent games.

Or if you had Healy. ;)

Another that would normally be rated below Owen and Rooney, and probably Crouch. You played to his game and he scored for fun.

might be worth changing the thread title.

as for a successor, i'd hope we go for a manager who doesn't fanny around the issue and addresses our weaknesses head on. there's plenty of managers out there who realise our technical disadvantage, not least bilic and hiddink who have both targeted it in recent games.

Agree, the thing that annoys me is how easily we're tactically outclassed, we need a street wise manager like the ones you mentioned and who isn't afraid of dropping people. Although I'm gutted we're not there qualifying would have just have delayed the enivatable imo so i'm sort of pleased at the same time.