Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest Gino14

McLaren for me falls under the category of someone I don't really want, but would acknowledge he's competent and would give him a fair chance if he got the job.  That's a massive improvement on Pardew, or going back a far as the likes of Souness, who I thought would be a disaster from day one.  It's also an earth shatteringly brilliant appointment compared to a single second more of having Carver in charge.

McLaren for me falls under the category of someone I don't really want, but would acknowledge he's competent and would give him a fair chance if he got the job.  That's a massive improvement on Pardew, or going back a far as the likes of Souness, who I thought would be a disaster from day one.  It's also an earth shatteringly brilliant appointment compared to a single second more of having Carver in charge.

:thup: Pretty much my thoughts as well.

McClaren would not have got rid of Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Yanga Mbiwa or Santon. And likely wouldn't have treated Chucky so badly. He would have found a way to make use of them, and at least played them.

How much better would our squad look then? At this point I would accept him with open arms.

McClaren wouldn't get me back on board. I don't care about the results anymore, I need inspiration and he's one of the least inspiring people in football. Mind, I'm not sure anyone could get me back while Ashley's there.

Yeah ... McClaren is definitely quite dull.

At this point would be nice to just have someone that doesn't give our good players away for no damned reason. Even though we don't have enough of them.

Bare minimum really. Sad state of affairs.

I won't hate McClaren from the off, I just don't expect him to do anything much here. It's not an appointment which will get me looking forward to next season like a Garde or Tuchel would have done. It's going to be far too easy to turn on the brolly toting twat if things start badly.

Guest reefatoon

McClaren wouldn't get me back on board. I don't care about the results anymore, I need inspiration and he's one of the least inspiring people in football. Mind, I'm not sure anyone could get me back while Ashley's there.

Totally agree. Not sure what it would take to get me back to tell you the truth.  Feel completely dead to it all now.

McLaren was porbably our best option, even tho i think he is a bit crap. 

LIke someone said earlier, Derby have more ambition than NUFC, he would have been mad to accept the job.

Most managers who bring a team up from the Championship ultimately get found wanting and we're chasing one who can't even manage that.

Aye.

McClaren would not have got rid of Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Yanga Mbiwa or Santon. And likely wouldn't have treated Chucky so badly. He would have found a way to make use of them, and at least played them.

How much better would our squad look then? At this point I would accept him with open arms.

This is delusional thinking. The sale of at least one of them had nothing to do with the manager. Whenever a manager has little say over signings, there's going to be some talented lads under-utilised.

If McClaren is that "decent", he wouldn't be managing Derby.  I honestly think result-wise he is even worse than Pardew.  May be a more likable person, may be better football, but pretty sure the result would be even worse than now. 

Shit manager.  Pointless appointment.

Guest TruToon94

If McClaren is that "decent", he wouldn't be managing Derby.  I honestly think result-wise he is even worse than Pardew.  May be a more likable person, may be better football, but pretty sure the result would be even worse than now. 

s*** manager.  Pointless appointment.

:dowie:

No.

Regardless of what you "think", it's a fact that result-wise he's done much better than Pardew.

There is nothing wrong with a football manager possessing a degree of caution, but McClaren's tactics invited Sevilla to attack them from the start - and they did not need asking twice.

Even Boro striker Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink seemed frustrated by McClaren's happiness to see the Sevilla full-backs pick up the ball from Palop and advance unchallenged into the Boro half.

It was a platform that Juan de la Cruz Ramos's side exploited fully, with Luis Fabiano's opener originating from that route.

Before half-time Boro's response was non-existent. A series of high balls were aimed towards Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Mark Viduka which were meat and drink for centre-backs of the quality of Julien Escude and Javi Navarro.

Sevilla were clearly well on top but McClaren waited until half-time to change his approach.

Massimo Maccarone replaced James Morrison and immediately pushed as far forward as possible on the right flank.

Long balls

In the Italian striker, McClaren finally had someone on the pitch able to get on the end of the long balls his side were still playing while on the left Stewart Downing also began to get involved for the first time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/4760637.stm

Regardless of what you "think", it's a fact that result-wise he's done much better than Pardew.

12th, 11th, 7th, 14th. For us, slightly better than Pardew aye. But at Boro he had the ability to spend. And spend the way he wanted.

Sorry for misleading, I mean the result if he is going to manage us, not his past record.

It seems the club put all its eggs in one basket for McLaren back in January and the Garde interview was just one to appease the fans. When McLaren wouldn't come because he wanted to get Derby into the Premier League they decided to wait until Summer. Again it seems they've put all their eggs into the same basket presuming they can lure him away from Derby and it's looking more and more likely that their only plan B is Carver.

It's all so short sighted and lazy, but that's what we've become accustomed to these days under these clowns. I don't think they've even considered any other options. Sickening really, uninspired and completely misguided, again. They all just need to get to fuck.