Steve McClaren

Dave

Andy, Andy Cole article! 

Bit about McClaren in there - canny read overall!

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/newcastle-united-long-tough-season-082240059.html

Really enjoyed that article. Cole really hit home there and brought some great memories back.

Agree very good read and not the usual crass and ignorant perspective you bet from most sources.

Surprised me coming from Cole, who has always seemed bitter or arrogant about his time with us. Fair play to him.

As for McClaren. Lose to Watford and the inevitable 2 defeats after and I think the pressure ramps. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike pulling the trigger quicker than many may think.

Surprised there's so much praise for that article tbh, seems to me he's just filled it with loads of generic football clichés instead of deluded Geordie clichés so people have taken it as insightful.

Andy, Andy Cole article! 

Bit about McClaren in there - canny read overall!

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/newcastle-united-long-tough-season-082240059.html

Really enjoyed that article. Cole really hit home there and brought some great memories back.

Agree very good read and not the usual crass and ignorant perspective you bet from most sources.

Surprised me coming from Cole, who has always seemed bitter or arrogant about his time with us. Fair play to him.

As for McClaren. Lose to Watford and the inevitable 2 defeats after and I think the pressure ramps. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike pulling the trigger quicker than many may think.

Surprised there's so much praise for that article tbh, seems to me he's just filled it with loads of generic football clichés instead of deluded Geordie clichés so people have taken it as insightful.

Coming from Cole it reads like Shakespeare. Context is everything here.

Not sure how he can even be making any kinds of comments after his disastrous run as Newcastle head coach.  Why he feels he should speak up on the subject or agree to an interview is beyond belief.

The man is nothing but a cockroach.

Looking past the messenger and the strange suggestion that our play in any way resembles tika-taka he does have a point that we clearly lack penetration so far. Our number of efforts on goal is worryingly low.

You don't say John? I wish someone would shoot the messenger.

He made a comment the other day about McClaren still not understanding the squad, if he thought Anita could play a role as a man marking DM.

Daft cunt doesn't understand how velcro keeps his shoes on ffs

Looking past the messenger and the strange suggestion that our play in any way resembles tika-taka he does have a point that we clearly lack penetration so far. Our number of efforts on goal is worryingly low.

He realizes he was responsible for coaching our attacking players for the last few seasons, right?

The one positive from McClaren so far is his relative honesty with his comments. He hasn't made any excuses from Monday night and seems ready to make the necessary changes. His honesty about our lack of any attacking quality what so ever is also refreshing. Obviously he needs to act upon it but hopefully that can come.

I don't think he set up on Monday to be defensive, tbf. He set us up quite positively, in terms of shape, and I reckon he wanted us to keep the ball, get the game as wide as possible and work openings patiently. I think some players just didn't turn up (it's quite a new set up for them, tbf, we've only played in that sort of style against Southampton) and he got 1 key position wrong. It's still really early days with how he wants us to play and it looks like they've worked on a few different shapes and tactics, so they've likely not mastered anything and there will be teething problems. Player movement going forward is a big issue but I've heard that's Cathro's domain and I'm sure it'll improve the more it gets worked on.

I'm guessing he wants us to generally end up like this:

http://www.zonalmarking.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/modern-centre-half.gif

If that's the plan, he really should play Ayoze in one of those AM spots, as well as sorting out the obvious Colback/Anita problem.