Steve McClaren

Dave

A lot of unjust McClaren hate here. Has a better CV than most premier league managers.

There's little hate from what I've seen. People just recognize that he's a 5/10 manager and we can do better. We very nearly did do better in January with Garde when we were barely trying.

Most premier league managers are bog standard s***

Having gone through them I count 13 good (or better) managers in the PL. The rest are mostly pretty poor.

If you think McClaren is a 5/10, then the 13 you've counted are probably 5.5-6+ /  10 :lol:

I'd take a chance on an unknown name from the lower divisions over a fucking bore like McClaren, man. Nothing remotely exciting about him. "But, But...he's better than Carver" isn't good enough to just say OK either, ever.

Pulis is obviously good at what he does, but I just could never bring myself to calling him a good manager. Just look at how pathetic West Brom were when they played us, under a "good" manager they win that game fairly easily.

Apponting a manager who has been sacked by a championship club............its so us

It's a step up from appointing a manager that was just sacked by a League 1 club, I suppose. #ambition #wait

I'd take a chance on an unknown name from the lower divisions over a fucking bore like McClaren, man. Nothing remotely exciting about him. "But, But...he's better than Carver" isn't good enough to just say OK either, ever.

Yep. Every day.

the positives of mcclaren are he isnt carver, he's won a trophy here and abroad (and whatever anyone says give boro their best period in history), and he will also bring proper bona fide coaches with him (steele, round).

erm, after that.........

bottom line is, nobody will be vitriolic towards him, just apathetic because we could have done so much better.

McClaren is a bit of a wuss that's for sure.

But here's the thing. I could never imagine him ditching the likes of Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Santon or Yanga-Mbiwa.

He would have kept them and used them.

For me that is already a huge win. We get some decent talent in, we just need someone with the humility to just let them play for the love of the almighty!

I'd take a chance on an unknown name from the lower divisions over a f***ing bore like McClaren, man. Nothing remotely exciting about him. "But, But...he's better than Carver" isn't good enough to just say OK either, ever.

Not sure the lower leagues are dripping with exciting, attacking-minded managers. Chances are we'd end up with another Carver (or Pardew, who we picked up from League 1).

How is Pulis "better" than McClaren? Pulis has won fuck all and his playing style/football philosophy is way worse than McClaren's.

McClaren's style isn't pretty either (by anyone's definition) and he won the League Cup and the Eredivise. So what?

That's an argument I will never, ever understand.

Towards the end of the Lambert reign, lots of our fans were calling for all sorts of fucking stupid stuff  - "get Pulis in! He'll keep us up!" "Try to get Allardyce in", and whenever challenged, the answer was always "better than Lambert"

Utterly meaningless, in that situation and in this one too.

Almost everyone on here believes Carver is absolutely useless and hugely out of his depth. That alone means that "better than Carver" is a totally worthless justification.

If Carver is as shit as he seems to be, how is being "better" than him a meaningful argument?

Wouldn't it be possible to be better than Carver AND still be absolutely fucking hopeless?

Why would anyone want that?

How is Pulis "better" than McClaren? Pulis has won f*** all and his playing style/football philosophy is way worse than McClaren's.

McClaren's style isn't pretty either (by anyone's definition) and he won the League Cup and the Eredivise. So what?

Again: How is Pulis better than McClaren?

That's an argument I will never, ever understand.

Towards the end of the Lambert reign, lots of our fans were calling for all sorts of fucking stupid stuff  - "get Pulis in! He'll keep us up!" "Try to get Allardyce in", and whenever challenged, the answer was always "better than Lambert"

Utterly meaningless, in that situation and in this one too.

Almost everyone on here believes Carver is absolutely useless and hugely out of his depth. That alone means that "better than Carver" is a totally worthless justification.

If Carver is as shit as he seems to be, how is being "better" than him a meaningful argument?

Wouldn't it be possible to be better than Carver AND still be absolutely fucking hopeless?

Why would anyone want that?

Because the alternative might be Carver?

For the players we get in at the moment it would have to be McClaren over Pulis for me.

Pulis is currently playing 4 centre backs in his back line. He would line up with Colo at right back, Saylor and Willo at centre back, and Dummett at left back. I don't even want to imagine wht he'd do with midfield and attack!

McClaren would at least put our more talented players out on the pitch and try to find positions for them that work. Moreso than Pulis anyway.

Pulis started Anichebe over Berahino at our place, and had the likes of Morrison on the bench man. To me those are their two best players!