them 1-1 Us - 10/11/07 - Official match thread (Post-match reaction from p15)

midds

I didn't see the match today, so can't comment on the performance, but I thought most people on here were saying that if they were offered a draw beforehand, they'd take it.

Looked at that way, it is a point, and one of the more difficult points you're going to get this season.

It isn't about the draw though mate, it's about the performance and we struggled to create anything away from home again.

I didn't see the match today, so can't comment on the performance, but I thought most people on here were saying that if they were offered a draw beforehand, they'd take it.

Looked at that way, it is a point, and one of the more difficult points you're going to get this season.

It isn't about the draw though mate, it's about the performance and we struggled to create anything away from home again.

Yes the performance wasn't good, but it was a slight improvement on the last two.

only manure are an investment when it came to buying shares. Or were, anyway. They are now in debt due to the Glaziers buying them, so that makes them s**** doesn't it  :clap:

As i have said, the bigger picture is the one that includes where we were in 1991. But if you refuse to see it, thats your problem, it will reflect itself in your bad judgement of how the club did overall under the Halls and Shepherd. Maybe qualifying for europe more than every other team bar 4 for a period of a decade isn't as good as knocking on the door of the title, but its not too bad  :lol: , and I would blame the major shareholders for the decision to float a company, unless you think differently.

Finally, over 500 posts to get that off your chest, you can go out for a pint now.

Happy Groundhog day, Mick.

Shame you don't answer what was directed at you. Must be because its too close to the truth for you.

That's because it has nothing to do with what we were on about and just you looking for an excuse to talk about the same old subject you have for years, nobody on the board wants to read it over and over again.

My comment was that I wasn't happy you lost money on your shares because it was a sign that the club had gone backwards since the float which resulted in it's value going down, like it or not it's a fact.

I just think it's a shame you're not a schizophrenic NE5 as you would have the time of your life arguing with yourself all day, every day about the same subject.

Correcting all those like you, is what I've been doing. Shame you could never see it. Lets hope you don't learn the hard way, by virtue of having a board that lacks true ambition to challenge the clubs at the top table. As for being a schizophrenic, I don't argue with people who aren't idiots, but even when I occasionally do, I don't get into a strop like a big bairn. I see you don't respond to my earlier post when I mentioned this.

only manure are an investment when it came to buying shares. Or were, anyway. They are now in debt due to the Glaziers buying them, so that makes them s**** doesn't it  :clap:

As i have said, the bigger picture is the one that includes where we were in 1991. But if you refuse to see it, thats your problem, it will reflect itself in your bad judgement of how the club did overall under the Halls and Shepherd. Maybe qualifying for europe more than every other team bar 4 for a period of a decade isn't as good as knocking on the door of the title, but its not too bad  :lol: , and I would blame the major shareholders for the decision to float a company, unless you think differently.

Finally, over 500 posts to get that off your chest, you can go out for a pint now.

Happy Groundhog day, Mick.

Shame you don't answer what was directed at you. Must be because its too close to the truth for you.

That's because it has nothing to do with what we were on about and just you looking for an excuse to talk about the same old subject you have for years, nobody on the board wants to read it over and over again.

My comment was that I wasn't happy you lost money on your shares because it was a sign that the club had gone backwards since the float which resulted in it's value going down, like it or not it's a fact.

I just think it's a shame you're not a schizophrenic NE5 as you would have the time of your life arguing with yourself all day, every day about the same subject.

Correcting all those like you, is what I've been doing. Shame you could never see it. Lets hope you don't learn the hard way, by virtue of having a board that lacks true ambition to challenge the clubs at the top table. As for being a schizophrenic, I don't argue with people who aren't idiots, but even when I occasionally do, I don't get into a strop like a big bairn. I see you don't respond to my earlier post when I mentioned this.

FFS i thought this shit had stopped in this thread.  Its getting pathetic.

i dont think people are complaining about the result, in fact everyone has said we're lucky to even get a point! the complaining is with our negative approach to the match and the way we played, which is becoming a recurring theme.

I can usually accept results such as this, but the way we set out to play the match was pathetic. Thats the problem.

That's what people are ignoring.

I want to see us improve under Big Sam. I want to see good tactics/team selection something that tells me we are building for the greater good.

We looked pathetic. Out-played for large sections of the game by an inferior team.

If performances reversed, we had our captain miss 2 very good chances, had one cleared off the line, got the ball down and played, looked balanced in midfield and got sucker punched by a fortuitous goal i would be a lot happier.

Guest Rodimus Prime

I'm not exactly satisfied, but i'm not devastated. Derby matches are ALWAYS scrappy affairs with neither side dominating. That's the way it is. We were poor, but they do deserve some credit for getting back into it when a Souness or Roeder team would have lied down and died, albeit via a lucky goal.

Ratings:

Harper 6: Made some saves, but his kicking was appalling and often put us under pressure.

Taylor 5: Sucked into the middle a few times. Not a RB of course, but he got caught a few times.

Faye 7.5: Collusus, held us together in the first half.

Rozenhal 6: A few dodgy moments, and a brain fart for their goal. Had a good first half with Faye I thought.

Zog 6.5: Tried to attack, if he was higher up the pitch, attacking the snail-like Harte more we might have got some joy.

Barton 5: Truly dreadful first half. Looked off the pace(understandable), improved second half though.

Smith 7: Got tackles in, won headers, battled away. Contributed nothing going foward, but his job was to stop attacks, and he did ok.

Emre 6: Invisible until they scored. He then picked it up and so did the team.

Milner 5.5: Quiet. Gets an extra .5 for the goal.

Owen 5: No service, made one chance for himself which he should have done better with.

Viduka 6: Looked like he could make something happen, but lack of service saw to it that nothing did.

allardyce put out a team that had "give me my bit" written all over it.

the back 4 and midfiled 4 made no sense what so ever which meant the front 2 had little to go with (as seemed the plan), he's built a decent squad but he's intent on fucking it up.right now i wouldn't complain if he was sacked.(at least this time we'd sack a manager being in a popsition where good managers may want to come in)

The best thing that can be said about this match is that we got a point, and no-one could have complained if we had lost in the end.

They clearly wanted it more than we did and at least had a real go at getting the points; most neutral observers would have expected that they would...

Derby games are renowned for form/relative player merits going out of the window, but I think back to Liverpool's game at the SOS, and despite all the spirited huffing & puffing from the Mackems, they imposed their will on the game, both physically and by superior skill. At no time did we come even close to doing that, and one has to either believe that;-

1. We are no better than them, player for player, OR

2.They were better organised and motivated than we were..

Which one do you think is the right answer..!???

How many times did we force their keeper into a decent save(NOT scrambling around at corners etc?)

How many times did we penetrate their back 4 by good interpassing moves rather than hit & hope long balls with Owen or someone else using individual skill to try to get a shooting chance ?

I bet if you work out the number of saves opposition keepers have had to make during the past 4 away games, our clear-chance ratio is one of the lowest in the Prem.

There are clearly no original thinkers in the coaching staff at SJP - if Milner's lucky strike(clearly an attempt at a cross)had not gone in, there would have been less attempts to gloss over this result which, like Reading & Derby, should have been a decent shout of getting 3 points.

There will have to be a big improvement over the next few weeks.....

Guest Brazilianbob

It is quite obvious to me what BSA is doing in terms of team selection, like playing players out of position, rotating players and using the long ball tactic.  He wants the side to play sh*t in the first half of the season so that come Jan/Feb he can revert to a settled 11 playing 442 and getting a decent service into Own and Viduka/Martins.  We start scoring a hatful of goals, win games and shoot up the table with a fully fit squad, as none have been injured by playing week in week out in the first half of the season, and hey presto, Sam looks like a winner again as we finish in a Uefa spot.  The fact that it could have been a Champions league spot if he had adopted those tactics at the start of the season is overlooked by all and sundry as the great man is hailed a genious by the media for turning things around.  It's not rocket science is it, deliberately unbalancing the side so that when he plays players in their correct positions he looks like a miracle worker when it all comes together.

Emre is NOT a good player he proved that today when he bottled it big time

I thought Emre had a very good game...He was definitely better than Barton and Smith going forward and breaking up the game...

The problem with the tactics we seem to play under Sam is we are always set up to stop the oppo rather than letting them worry about us like smith following jones around today i mean surely we have enough qaulity to let these useless tw*ts worry about us  :idiot2:

I think we played better than our previous 2 games (Pompy and Reading) but we are not helping ourselves by putting players in the wrong positions...Allardyce seems that he wanted premiership experienced players to play in the derby even at the expense of putting players out of their best positions which is a shame and mistake in my opinion because we are not playing those players to their strengths and are actually weakening our team against poor oppositions...

Emre and Geremi should have been in the middle with Milner on the RW and Zoggy on the LW and Enrique at LB...Martins should have come also earlier in place of Viduka...

The problem with the tactics we seem to play under Sam is we are always set up to stop the oppo rather than letting them worry about us like smith following jones around today i mean surely we have enough qaulity to let these useless tw*ts worry about us  :idiot2:

It's never been fun to watch Smith & Jones.

Having seen the highlights on MOTD, it seems to me that a major problem was that we gave them far too much time and space to put their crosses in. The opposition has got to be closed down and put under more pressure. At corners, they were allowed to take it short time and again, and that eventually led to their goal. The amount of time that the guy had to pick his cross was ridiculous.

One pleasing feature though was that we were trying to play the ball on the deck. We certainly weren't a 'long ball' team. Trouble was the players weren't really familiar enough with one another for our passing to work well. We actually failed to take advantage of some good situations by players not quite anticipating what the other was going to do, but that can improve.