The unseen priority - a new GK

stozo

I agree that a new keeper is not a priority but I sort of know where this thread came from. I don't think Given is as good as some people make out, a very good shot stopper, decision making OK but not too much prescence in the box. Saying that I also don't think this is a great time for goalkeepers as there are not too many out there who have a good solid all round game.

Actually related to this, you see people like Parker, Duff, Shaun Wright Phillips, Johnson leaving or being linked with a move away from Chelsea, but I'm amazed that no one has ever gone in for Cudicini. Not sure if this says more about him being happy to get his money or Chelsea not wanting him to leave.

Guest Ridzuan

I have to disagree with you on this.I think we have two top keepers at our club right now,maybe 2 more in the making.Stop comparing them with Cech or anyone else.If we get all the Chelsea defenders playing for us and all of our defenders playing for them,that would be interesting to watch.But of course when it comes to conceding goals,the keeper always get most of the blame and the rest of the team who also take responsibility are not being questioned.So I think its unfair to say that Given and Harper is no the kind of goalkeeper that we need to have in order to take to the level that we want because I think they always give their best whenever they are chosen to start.

I can't think of any area of the team which needs less attention than the who stands between the sticks.

Coulden't agree more with Mick, who has hit the nail on the head.

This thread is utter cobblers imo.

i woulden't swap Given and harper for No.1 and No.2 at any club and certainly not for Jaaskelainen.

Swap Given for Jaaskelainen??? Are you completely mad? A Wind up merchant or an undercover mackem? As mick says its probably the area that concerns me least at the moment. Krul looks at really bright prospect too!!

As Goalkeeper is obviously not even close to being a priority and is a frankly ridiculous suggestion, what position do people think should be the main priority? I would probably go for attacking midfield.

Draw a line infront of Butt/Geremi, exclude the left wing and there is your priotiy area. Attacking midfield, right wing and centre forwards (personally I think we potentially have a dynamic front line in Oba/Smith/Dukes/Owen but they obviously (so far) aint suited to Sams style of play)

Guest Stout Heart

Living abroad I don't get the chance to visit SJP very often. Watching on the television I don't see the whole pitch. The result is I don't get to see where Given and Harper stand when the ball is played into the penalty box. So here's a couple of questions/scenarios:

1. Newcastle concede a free kick on the half way line. Where are Given/Harper standing when the ball is kicked? Are they on their line or are they further forward? Are other Premier League goalies standing in the same position?

2. Opposition winger crosses from the byline swinging the ball away from goal. Where are Given/Harper standing when the ball is kicked? Are they on their line or are they further forward? Are other Premier League goalies standing in the same position?

I'm not making a judgment here, I'm just trying to get some information.

How is Krul doing at Falkirk these days?

not brilliantly, and even talking about him in this thread at his age is stupid. Falkirk have conceded 25 in 12. he did well in his first game, but conceded 4 against celtic then 7 against rangers not long after. 4 clean sheets so far, but according to soccernet he's made 72 saves in all competitions, a respectable total (although i think they are a bit liberal with what they classify as saves (coming for crosses counts to them i think)) and made a total of 21 "saves" in the 2 games against the old firm, which ties in what i heard at the time that it was diabolical defending that cost them the 7-2 defeat, not really bad keeping.

He's the only thing stopping them from drubbing in most matches tbh, their defence is abismal.

We finished 3rd, 4th and 5th with Shay in net, how can we not get back to that level with him, he has already been there and done that.

we finished 3rd, 4th and 5th with Andy O'Brien, let's get him back

Teddy Sheringham, been there and done that, let's sign him too

We finished 3rd, 4th and 5th with Shay in net, how can we not get back to that level with him, he has already been there and done that.

we finished 3rd, 4th and 5th with Andy O'Brien, let's get him back

Teddy Sheringham, been there and done that, let's sign him too

Slight difference between O'Brien and Shay tbh.

Shay single handedly won us alot of games to get us in that league position mainly thanks to O'Briens and Brambles silly mistakes.

theres also a difference between a bit of experience and an OAP, Shay is only 32, Sheringham 41,  whats wrong with Shay proving himself as a champions league keeper, as he has done, hence 'been there done that'.

Guest justin99.

I can only come to the conclusion that Given must have run over a number of poeple's loved pets for him to receive the amount of criticism mentioned here.