If possible I would sell Michael Owen in Jan...

Parky

If Sam is going to get his chance and be allowed to bring in the players that suit his style of play I would defo take both Anelka and Crouch.

Sad to see Owen leave without getting a decent crack at it at our place tho.  But I have had a niggling feeling for a while that all is not well.

I wouldn't have said this at the start of the season.

But if someone comes in for Owen with £10m (providing it was one of the top four), i'd take it no problem tbh. Blatantly not worth the hassle and as has been said, the team could profit from something different.

Nevertheless, while he's here he's still our player and i'm definitely behind him.

EDIT: But you can fuck off if we're replacing him with Crouch. :lol:

Not scored in a couple of games tried in a different role.

SELL!

Not fair Dave.

SA's style and ideas don't really suit his strengths and without getting in 5 players in Jan and a complete change of style I can't see Owen flourishing IMO.

SELL!

Not fair Dave.

SA's style and ideas don't really suit his strengths and without getting in 5 players in Jan and a complete change of style I can't see Owen flourishing IMO.

I think Allardyce is still playing about with his style and ideas here, hence the chopping and changing all across the pitch.

I'll judge how Owen's done, along with the rest of the strikers, at the end of the season.

Simple fact is though, if Owen had scored half the chances he's had this year nobody would be saying a word about getting rid, or that he doesn't fit the system.

In any case, I'm not sure how many clubs will be willing to take the risk in January given his (still) recent injury problems. Him staying fit all year makes him a much more attractive proposition.

SELL!

Not fair Dave.

I think Allardyce is still playing about with his style and ideas here, hence the chopping and changing all across the pitch.

I'll judge how Owen's done, along with the rest of the strikers, at the end of the season.

Simple fact is though, if Owen had scored half the chances he's had this year nobody would be saying a word about getting rid, or that he doesn't fit the system.

Generally agree I'd love to have the luxury of judging all our players at the end of the season inc SA and that's how it should be as I've said in other threads in SA's defence.

I have a niggling doubt that SA himself doesn't fancy Owen and actually tried to get teams interested in him in the summer with the constant babbling about his clauses and what not to the media. The other thing is has Owen got the patience to wait 2/3 seasons before we start firing on all cylinders? I doubt that as well.

Owen needs an attacking midfield to flourish it's going to be at least a year before that is fully in place (SA doesn't really want one either imo) and at the moment we are 3/4 loses from the relegation zone and I honestly feel that if we are to salvage anything from this season unfortunately we need to get in players SA fancies and can play the way he wants them to play ie a holding midfield and counter attacking with highly mobile forwards/target man and not goal hangers.

I would rather we kept quality like Owen clearly.

I think one of the main problems so far is that BS has felt obliged to play Owen given his stature in the game, but he isn't necessarily the best option for his preferred formation.

Allardyce favoured a 4-3-3 at Bolton and it worked to good effect, but he bought players that fit that formation. He's come to a club with playing staff geared towards a 4-4-2 formation, and i think this is the reason for a lot of the chopping and changing with team selections.

I think it would be a good move to sell Owen if we are going to persevere with Sam at the helm, because i don't think we'll see the best of him in a 4-3-3. I can also see Milner being sold at some point because I think  he's another one who doesn't suit Sam's favoured setup.

The signing of Arshavin would make sense given that he is a right sided winger/striker, and i think he could be the perfect player to fit into a front three of Duff/N'Zogbia, Viduka/Martins, Arshavin with Barton/Geremi, Butt and Emre behind them.

As for Crouch, i really rate him as a player but i can't see where he'd fit in

Another thing is the simple fact that Owen is unreliable as far as fitness goes, so deciding to build the whole team around him with players that suit him wouldn't be the smartest thing I don't think.

It would make more sense to build a more versatile and multifunctional team which clearly won't accomodate Owen.

Owen could be more important to us that Allardyce - i'd rather have a top player and a good manager than a not-so-good player and a poorer manager.

The very fact that we are talking abotu getting rid of Owen because Allardyce is unable to adapt to a style of play suited to the players he has is mental. Mental, i tells ya.

Why is it mental? Why should Allardyce compromise the potential success of this football club on one player?

If he doesn't fit get rid.

If Wenger went to manage a new club full of players with no pace would you expect him to adapt his style to suit them, or replace them with pacey players who fit his tried and tested way of playing?

Just because it's Michael Owen makes no difference. He's just another player.

Why is it mental? Why should Allardyce compromise the potential success of this football club on one player?

If he doesn't fit get rid.

If Wenger went to manage a new club full of players with no pace would you expect him to adapt his style to suit them, or replace them with pacey players who fit his tried and tested way of playing?

Just because it's Michael Owen makes no difference. He's just another player.

He's a better player than Allardyce is a manager.

Abd the point is that Allardyce's tactics aren't necessarily right. In fact, so far they've been largely wrong.

If we was to bring in someone like Anelka in, or somoene that can offer a bit of individual creativity and consistency I wouldnt be opposed to seeing Owen leave, it would certainly put an end to the crap surrounding him every day. Cant say Id be happy seein him doin well for another prem team though!!

It's a tricky situation, but I've reached the conclusion that Allardyce has to stick to the ideas that he believes in if we're going to get anywhere. There's doubt about whether Owen can adapt to a 4-3-3, and doubts about whether he's really prepared to try. There's a story in the Express today about him not being happy with Allardyce, and if Sam is trying to move him away from his goal-poacher role then that would explain it.

I watched that documentary on Owen a few weeks ago, and it really felt like his heart was still in the Manchester-Liverpool area. He seems to have invested a lot, emotionally as well as financially, in his horse-owning business there. Newcastle just seemed to be a place that he dropped in to.

It was a mistake to buy him in the first place, and we may well be approaching the endgame, if we can line up a replacement (that's the big if)

We might have some leverage on Diouf and Anelka, but why on earth would Blackburn sell us Bentley?

Not sure how getting Anelka would stop the constant rumours  about players wanting to leave either, given the fact he's had about a thousand clubs. Excellent player like.

We might have some leverage on Diouf and Anelka, but why on earth would Blackburn sell us Bentley?

Not sure how getting Anelka would stop the constant rumours  about players wanting to leave either, given the fact he's had about a thousand clubs. Excellent player like.

£5m + Milner. Done deal.