Sir Bobby on his way out of football

Dave

the blokes a legend, and my most respected man in the game.

like someone has already said, im dreading the day

I bet he could still do a job in football, he's still got his marbles.  He seems to be one of those people who needs to work to keep going.

Sir Bobby is a real gent, a fantastic human being and I wish him well in his retirement and I sincerely hope that it will be for many happy years. Thanks Sir Bobby for all you did for us.

And to all the WUMs - Get a life lads. Just because he didn't crawl over broken glass with his flies undone to manage the club for free doesn't mean he isn't one of us.

the blokes a legend, and my most respected man in the game.

like someone has already said, im dreading the day

I bet he could still do a job in football, he's still got his marbles.  He seems to be one of those people who needs to work to keep going.

Think that's true, unfortunately. I hope he can keep in the game somehow, even if not coaching.

Whenever someone slates Bobby, just remind them that a defence of:

Griffin Bramble O'Brien Hughes

beat Juventus 1-0 in the Champions League

Not to mention:

Griffin Dabizas O'Brien Hughes

who beat Feyenoord 3-2.

Makes him well worth the money.

Our best ever Champions League finish, that's what he brought to the club and it shouldn't be forgotten.

Always be grateful for that Feyenoord match. I dont think I have shouted so loud as when that 3rd goal went in. Pur and utter delerium just doesnt explain it properly.

You can trace the decline from that game onwards towards him being sacked. That was the night he seriously fell out with Nobby.

You can trace the decline from that game onwards towards him being sacked. That was the night he seriously fell out with Nobby.

His handling of Nobby was daft, none of us are perfect.  He was also known to try and get a round peg into a square hole at times, Bowyer being an obvious one.

His handling of Nobby was daft, none of us are perfect.  He was also known to try and get a round peg into a square hole at times, Bowyer being an obvious one.

yep, even the best managers make mistakes. fergie playing Smith in midfield for instance, or falling out with Stam and not finding a proper replacement till years later. people will probably point to cort, viana, bramble and so on as his failures in the transfer market, fergie and wenger have also had big failures too, jeffers or veron for instance. what matters is how they do overall and robson was excellent for us.

yep, even the best managers make mistakes. fergie playing Smith in midfield for instance, or falling out with Stam and not finding a proper replacement till years later. people will probably point to cort, viana, bramble and so on as his failures in the transfer market, fergie and wenger have also had big failures too, jeffers or veron for instance. what matters is how they do overall and robson was excellent for us.

I'd be more than happy to see the likes of Cort, Viana and Bramble (not atcually them, young players who were unproven) come to the club if it was under the same circumstances as when they were here. 

Cort did well at first until he started getting the injuries, Viana was a brilliant prospect and even Bramble has possibilities when he first came.

Guest Ridzuan

That is very sad to here.If the Ireland this weekend is indeed is going to be his last match,I hope it will end up in a winning note.He is great guy and will always be a great manager in my mind and I think looking at his current situation,I think it is only better if he decides to quit and get more rest instead.

I feel like i know the man (feels like a grand-dad in a way), always has an innate amiable charm about him. I honestly can't believe some of these comments; the day we sacked him was the beginning of a meteoric fall that we still haven't recovered from.

Can people kindly fuck off with the WUM comments? This whole "getting people to bite at ZANY against-the-grain comments" thing is getting so fucking tiresome now that it defies belief.

I personally admire SBR and will freely accept that some of the football played under him was exciting to watch (Bellamy and Robert his prized signings - not many will accept them two as good/popular signings though eh?) Feyenoord was likely the best game I've ever been to.

But you must also accept that Robson didn't come cheap - he 'lost' the dressing room and there is a very solid argument that he might have gone a lot sooner. Think of the Partizan defeat, losing to WBA (a division below) at home after playing a weakened team. Fourth place was there for the taking yet from Christmas of his final full season he couldn't get the results to get us 4th (Liverpool got 4th and ....) Typically Shepherd and Hall fucked up his sacking - he should have been asked to leave at the end of the previous season without a doubt that was there biggest mistake.

I really think that folk put on their rose tinted glasses where SBR was concerned and fail to see the whole picture yet I'll accept that over his whole career he proved he was a good manager and unfortunately for us we couldn't get him post Keegan.

I feel like i know the man (feels like a grand-dad in a way), always has an innate amiable charm about him. I honestly can't believe some of these comments; the day we sacked him was the beginning of a meteoric fall that we still haven't recovered from.

It was well under way by then.

It was well under way by then.

Nah i disagree, we would have finished top 8 that season if he had of been kept imo, rather than Souness' top 14. Losing Sir Bobby gave us Souness and then Roeder ffs.

Can people kindly fuck off with the WUM comments? This whole "getting people to bite at ZANY against-the-grain comments" thing is getting so fucking tiresome now that it defies belief.

I personally admire SBR and will freely accept that some of the football played under him was exciting to watch (Bellamy and Robert his prized signings - not many will accept them two as good/popular signings though eh?) Feyenoord was likely the best game I've ever been to.

But you must also accept that Robson didn't come cheap - he 'lost' the dressing room and there is a very solid argument that he might have gone a lot sooner. Think of the Partizan defeat, losing to WBA (a division below) at home after playing a weakened team. Fourth place was there for the taking yet from Christmas of his final full season he couldn't get the results to get us 4th (Liverpool got 4th and ....) Typically Shepherd and Hall fucked up his sacking - he should have been asked to leave at the end of the previous season without a doubt that was there biggest mistake.

I really think that folk put on their rose tinted glasses where SBR was concerned and fail to see the whole picture yet I'll accept that over his whole career he proved he was a good manager and unfortunately for us we couldn't get him post Keegan.

Who cares!?

SBR's record proves he was one of our best ever managers if not THE best. The way he was sacked by FFS was an absolute disgrace, he should have been an ambasador for the club for as long as he wanted to be.

I wish Sir Bobby a long and happy retirement but I fear that isn't going to be the case.

That's very big of you.

Nah i disagree, we would have finished top 8 that season if he had of been kept imo, rather than Souness' top 14. Losing Sir Bobby gave us Souness and then Roeder ffs.

I think we would have qualified for Europe, we'd started poorly for the previous seasons and we'd dropped points in his final season because of bad luck against Boro and Villa.

But you must also accept that Robson didn't come cheap - he 'lost' the dressing room and there is a very solid argument that he might have gone a lot sooner. Think of the Partizan defeat, losing to WBA (a division below) at home after playing a weakened team. Fourth place was there for the taking yet from Christmas of his final full season he couldn't get the results to get us 4th (Liverpool got 4th and ....) Typically Shepherd and Hall f***** up his sacking - he should have been asked to leave at the end of the previous season without a doubt that was there biggest mistake.

My memory of his last full season was one with too many games drawn which he needed to put right, he needed to turn them into wins.  What we ended up with was an arse that replaced him and turned the draws into defeats.

I can't believe there are some people on here with bad words to say about Robson.

I would have loved him at the Boro and if his health was up to it, still would as a wise counsel above Southgate.

I went to the football writers awards a few years ago and I was waiting behind him for his autograph while he was on a table talking to some non-professional football people. At the same time some lesser lights like Peter Taylor and Peter Shreeves were holding court around the bar, knocking back the ales and asking the crowds of hangers on "Come on now, Nancy or Ulrika?"

At the same time Sir Bobby was at his table, marking out formations complete with tactical instructions on his paper placemat! He had time for a photo and a chat as well.

One of the greatest in a long line of greats the North East has produced. I can throw rivalry aside to say it will be a black day for all NE football lovers when the inevitable happens.

I can't believe there are some people on here with bad words to say about Robson.

I would have loved him at the Boro and if his health was up to it, still would as a wise counsel above Southgate.

I went to the football writers awards a few years ago and I was waiting behind him for his autograph while he was on a table talking to some non-professional football people. At the same time some lesser lights like Peter Taylor and Peter Shreeves were holding court around the bar, knocking back the ales and asking the crowds of hangers on "Come on now, Nancy or Ulrika?"

At the same time Sir Bobby was at his table, marking out formations complete with tactical instructions on his paper placemat! He had time for a photo and a chat as well.

One of the greatest in a long line of greats the North East has produced. I can throw rivalry aside to say it will be a black day for all NE football lovers when the inevitable happens.

Bloody hell, on a table at his age? 

Well said though, rivalry shouldn't come into it when somebody like Robson is involved.