Should Mike Ashley get his wallet out?

stozo

In the summer we only had a net spending of around £10m. Am I the only one who would like to see Ashley well and truly get his wallet out and flex some of the financial muscle we know he has.

I personnally think he should just say to Allardyce here's £40m go and spend it 2 or 3 top class players.

In the summer we only had a net spending of around £10m. Am I the only one who would like to see Ashley well and truly get his wallet out and flex some of the financial muscle we know he has.

I personnally think he should just say to Allardyce here's £40m go and spend it 2 or 3 top class players.

Not as if he had sky high debts to write off like.

Not as if he had sky high debts to write off like.

I'm not criticizing his lack of spending this past summer but if we are going to go anywhere we lack world class players.

When I think of who from the Newcastle team would make it into the team of a Big 4 side I struggle to think of many names, Martins would most likely be a squad player, you could make the same arguement possibly with Zog but after that there is nobody.

Title should be changed to Should Mike Ashley get his wallet out for Sam?

Easy for Mike to go out and splash his cash on the likes of Deco, Riquelme or whoever we get linked with, but should he be doing this or buying who Sam identifies?

depends on how much he trusts Sam's judgement - who's one 'big' signing so far has been Smith for whom the jury is still well and truly split

Would be wise to do the spending in January, that'll give the new players a chance to settle in before they have to deliver the goods. I can just imagine if we sign a couple of really expensive players in the summer and they all fail to perform under huge pressure from fans and media. Would be typical of the club.

Pointless. Sam said he had the money to spend, Mort confirmed it.

Sam possibly didn't fancy spending further, or the players were simply not available (more likely simply because of his constant rants against the transfer window system). Either way he seemed happy enough going into the season, and I have less concern about the money available and far more concern over the managers ability to get the players he has brought in/will bring in playing decent football.

Guest Sniffer

Money may not be the issue with Ashley as I'm sure he recognizes we need better players.

Question in my mind is whether he thinks Fat Sam, with a record of winning nothing, is the man capable of spending it correctly. I doubt that he's seen much to convince him of that,  based on what he's seen on the pitch so far, as most of the new signings have been average at best. Getting past their individual performances, even FSA's tactics and team selection have been shite and the team has looked shambolic in a number of games. I'm not sure I'd trust him with the money it takes, especially if he's looking at long term contracts for players pushing 30......with no previous premier league experience.

I think there will be a fair few unknown players signing tbh. I think the stories coming out point to buying young players from around the world.

Like them french kids, that polish left back, the american two

I think we will also sign arshavin or someone similar to him. I think there will def be some movement like

Hmm last season the Jan transfer window was being hyped as 'biggest transfer window. evar.' due to the relegation stakes etc.

Yet there was in the end hardly any movement at all. Clubs just don't like selling their best players in the middle of the season, I don't know why that would change this Jan. Lets face it our campaign is already well on the way to mid table and will be locked in there by Jan 1. Wouldn't be surprised if we just brought in one player or so.

Then again if Ashley decides he doesn't like the squad and orders Sam to go out and change it asap and don't worry about the money he might prove me wrong.

Guest Tiger Tony

I still think Allardyce will do ok with you but agree with others that players you would really want are unlikely to move in January. Especially if their current club is still in Europe. Think you can push for a UEFA place, if not I would enter the intertoto and get in the UEFA that way as that is so important when attracting top players. Then, if spent wisely, you have the potential to push on from there. I think with the money about the top 4 won't be as predictable in a couple of years. Which is good as how often do you see the same top 4 in Italy, Spain, Germany, hardly ever. Getting boring is the premiership!

I think with Ashley being a proper fan as well that he will make a good transfer kitty available, he is a billionaire after all isn't he, so not exactly short!

Sam possibly didn't fancy spending further, or the players were simply not available (more likely simply because of his constant rants against the transfer window system). Either way he seemed happy enough going into the season, and I have less concern about the money available and far more concern over the managers ability to get the players he has brought in/will bring in playing decent football.

Allardyce has done the right thing regarding transfers, the players he wants have been unavailable or turned us down so he's prepared to wait for the right players to come along.

After how far the club has gone backwards in the past few years he's going to struggle to attract any real quality, especially in January.

Crouch, Ben Haim, Diouf, Arshavin, Jaaskelainen etc are the sort of players we will be looking to attract, not top class but players who will help improve the squad and push us back up to a European place.

Allardyce has done the right thing regarding transfers, the players he wants have been unavailable or turned us down so he's prepared to wait for the right players to come along.

After how far the club has gone backwards in the past few years he's going to struggle to attract any real quality, especially in January.

Crouch, Ben Haim, Diouf, Arshavin, Jaaskelainen etc are the sort of players we will be looking to attract, not top class but players who will help improve the squad and push us back up to a European place.

But isn't that the problem. Faye Cacapa Roz Taylor are all good players, Ben Haim isn't that much of a step up. Arshavin could work out but again, is he that much of a step up from Barton Emre etc, the same with Jaaskelainen over Given. Adding more good players isn't going to boost us significantly, and just add to the likelyhood of more shuffling of the pack trying to fit players in.

I'm sure the current squad is good enough to get us to a similar level and it is just the system they are trying to play that is holding the team back to an extent. Sort out a first 11, get them playing to a style they are comfortable with and then spend big if we have a chance at a player that really can add to the mix.

You could argue that, the players we are being connected with are the players that can work with Sams tactics better than the ones currently at his disposal, but that doesn't say much when a good deal of the team are his own buys in the first place.

But isn't that the problem. Faye Cacapa Roz Taylor are all good players, Ben Haim isn't that much of a step up. Arshavin could work out but again, is he that much of a step up from Barton Emre etc, the same with Jaaskelainen over Given. Adding more good players isn't going to boost us significantly, and just add to the likelyhood of more shuffling of the pack trying to fit players in.

I'm sure the current squad is good enough to get us to a similar level and it is just the system they are trying to play that is holding the team back to an extent. Sort out a first 11, get them playing to a style they are comfortable with and then spend big if we have a chance at a player that really can add to the mix.

You could argue that, the players we are being connected with are the players that can work with Sams tactics better than the ones currently at his disposal, but that doesn't say much when a good deal of the team are his own buys in the first place.

Which is what I was getting at and you can understand where he's coming from if he does sign the likes of Crouch, Diouf and Arshavin, 3 players who you would think are suited to the 4-3-3 formation which he favours, I think his problem at the moment is the strikers he has are not really suited to it apart from maybe Martins, we've seen what Viduka's like up top in a 4-3-3 and he doesn't look too clever, Owen doesn't have anything that makes you think he could play there either.

The problem he has is that the better players he want didn't want to come in the Summer, so I think the best thing he can do is take the long term view of getting the team playing how he wants(4-3-3) and add quality when hopefully we improve under the tactics he knows best, I said in another thread that some of the players he brought in were with a short term view just to get numbers in rather than being an important part of the team for the future.

Money may not be the issue with Ashley as I'm sure he recognizes we need better players.

Question in my mind is whether he thinks Fat Sam, with a record of winning nothing, is the man capable of spending it correctly. I doubt that he's seen much to convince him of that,  based on what he's seen on the pitch so far, as most of the new signings have been average at best. Getting past their individual performances, even FSA's tactics and team selection have been shite and the team has looked shambolic in a number of games. I'm not sure I'd trust him with the money it takes, especially if he's looking at long term contracts for players pushing 30......with no previous premier league experience.

wot he said....

Which is what I was getting at and you can understand where he's coming from if he does sign the likes of Crouch, Diouf and Arshavin, 3 players who you would think are suited to the 4-3-3 formation which he favours, I think his problem at the moment is the strikers he has are not really suited to it apart from maybe Martins, we've seen what Viduka's like up top in a 4-3-3 and he doesn't look too clever, Owen doesn't have anything that makes you think he could play there either.

The problem he has is that the better players he want didn't want to come in the Summer, so I think the best thing he can do is take the long term view of getting the team playing how he wants(4-3-3) and add quality when hopefully we improve under the tactics he knows best, I said in another thread that some of the players he brought in were with a short term view just to get numbers in rather than being an important part of the team for the future.

Agreed, but even as 'bodies' they have been dissapointing, and that has more to do with Sam than the squads individual abilities in my opinion. Sadly this will probably mean the end of the road for some of our more popular players, and I can see people getting somewhat disgruntled with the replacements, despite the need for them if we are to stick with Sam and follow his long term plans through to their logical conclusions.

Agreed, but even as 'bodies' they have been dissapointing, and that has more to do with Sam than the squads individual abilities in my opinion. Sadly this will probably mean the end of the road for some of our more popular players, and I can see people getting somewhat disgruntled with the replacements, despite the need for them if we are to stick with Sam and follow his long term plans through to their logical conclusions.

Personally, I can see Owen, Emre, Martins, Milner, and N'Zogbia all being potential long-term casualties, and this could prove unpopular with many.

Personally, I can see Owen, Emre, Martins, Milner, and N'Zogbia all being potential long-term casualties, and this could prove unpopular with many.

Owen is a crock

Emre disappears in away matches

Martins is a one man band who needs to improve but may not

Milner won't ever be better than average

I'd be disappointed to see N'Zogiba leave.