The booing perspective - Joey Barton has his say on us...

Benwell Lad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

look at spurs- 1 game away from top 4 2 seasons ago. last season they came 5th after a struggled start. now, they have fired their manager and got ramos in who was supposed to be a super hero. now, im not suggesting for a second he should be fired, but they just lost 3-2 at home to birmingham city, and their other results havent been that great have they? you cant get success instanty

then look at villa, pretty poor last season when they went through the middle of the season for ages without winning a game. finished 11th-12th ish (?) and now in top 6, looking upwards.

also everton and moyes.

watford and boothroyd went down last season, now look like winning the championship

basically, give big sam a chance and he'll come good.

Must say, I agree with this 100%.  Folks mention Hughes, O'Neill, etc as if they could simply step into the St James cauldron and transform us into a decent team.  But we haven't been a decent team for years despite having a squad stuffed full of well-paid international players. 

It'll take time to sort this rabble out - I'd expect Sam to faff around with formations and team selections through most of this season.  If nothing else, he finds out who can do a decent job for the team, who needs to be shipped out, and where to stengthen.  That's not something that can be figured out on the training pitch - it's only in the heat of battle (and the full glare of the supporters and media) this can be done properly.

Frankly, some of his selections are baffling, but I have faith he will get it right and we'll be a much better side...next season.

I agree. Unfortunately I don't think we're going to get a chance to find out. I'm as sick as everyone else at the moment, but 15 games ffs.

Get the point Wullie and I accept it's way too early. However, when SBR came here we were in the shit big time. He got us playing good football, semi final of FA cup and the following season was fairly stable. We knew we were close.

Not sure people get the same feel from Sam. He isn't doing the basics of stability and selection right. Admittedly he has had some shit to sort out and his midfield far too samey. We dont have any real talent there either tbh. Or pace or power.

Of course he needs to sort those out.

Funnily enough I am not too worried about the personnel we have here in the back four. Still think most of the pressure on us comes from our inability to press teams or push them back - i.e. our midfield arent the best. They certainly dont compliment the attackers we have. With the current lot of one paced clowns we are better off with Smith and Martins up front. With decent midfielders and wide men we could have a field day with Viduka and Owen. Don't think we need much, but what we need is very expensive.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1183723,00.html

"The support we had at Blackburn Rovers on Saturday was just phenomenal - how many other clubs would take 6,000 fans to Ewood Park at a time when things haven't been going great on the pitch?

"They were right behind us from the first whistle to the last and I was choked that we couldn't give them a better result to take home.

"I woke on the morning of the game to see that comments I had made earlier in the week had been presented in some quarters in a way they were never meant to be.

"When I spoke about the atmosphere at our last home game against Liverpool the point I was making was that, through results good or bad, we all need to stick together on and off the pitch.

"There are a lot of new players at the club still finding their feet and there was a big summer of change at the club with a new manager and owners coming in.

"So it's clear everyone needs time to come together and move the club on. And that will happen much, much quicker if everyone is pulling together.

"Of course I never questioned any fans' loyalty - who could question the loyalty of any Newcastle United fan? - or their right to be unhappy if performances aren't going well.

"In fact, I actually made the point that it's up to the players to lift the fans when results aren't going our way.

"What I said was intended to be a rallying call after a defeat. It wasn't a blast or an attack, but sadly a lot of what I said was conveniently ignored by those who always look for the sensational aspect and who weren't even present.

"Arsenal are going great at the top of the table right now and nobody's beaten them in the Premier League yet this season, but with the fans behind us like they were at Blackburn we can use St. James' Park to our advantage."

"The support we had at Blackburn Rovers on Saturday was just phenomenal - how many other clubs would take 6,000 fans to Ewood Park at a time when things haven't been going great on the pitch?

"They were right behind us from the first whistle to the last and I was choked that we couldn't give them a better result to take home.

"I woke on the morning of the game to see that comments I had made earlier in the week had been presented in some quarters in a way they were never meant to be.

"When I spoke about the atmosphere at our last home game against Liverpool the point I was making was that, through results good or bad, we all need to stick together on and off the pitch.

"There are a lot of new players at the club still finding their feet and there was a big summer of change at the club with a new manager and owners coming in.

"So it's clear everyone needs time to come together and move the club on. And that will happen much, much quicker if everyone is pulling together.

"Of course I never questioned any fans' loyalty - who could question the loyalty of any Newcastle United fan? - or their right to be unhappy if performances aren't going well.

"In fact, I actually made the point that it's up to the players to lift the fans when results aren't going our way.

"What I said was intended to be a rallying call after a defeat. It wasn't a blast or an attack, but sadly a lot of what I said was conveniently ignored by those who always look for the sensational aspect and who weren't even present.

"Arsenal are going great at the top of the table right now and nobody's beaten them in the Premier League yet this season, but with the fans behind us like they were at Blackburn we can use St. James' Park to our advantage."

Well said Joey boy.

Most of us knew what you meant and could see the press (including local BBC and ITV) doing their anti-Newcastle twist the facts routine.

Guest sicko2ndbest

KEEGAN CRITICAL OF BARTON OUTBURST

Posted 05/12/07 17:23EmailPrintSave

Former Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan believes midfielder Joey Barton has made a big mistake by criticising the club's fans.

Summer signing Barton recently branded Newcastle supporters "vicious" and claimed to have been "shocked" by the abuse aimed at manager Sam Allardyce and the team.

Keegan, who enjoyed a fine relationship with the fans during his spell as Magpies boss, told setantasports' website: "I think Joey was wrong to say that.

"There's a lot of things you should do and there's a lot of things they shouldn't.

"The one thing you should never do is criticise the fans. You should never bite the hand that feeds you.

"The fans are not stupid, they are a lot cleverer than they're given credit for. Fans are the barometer of a club."

Keegan was manager at St James' Park from 1992-97 and was Barton's manager during his spell at Manchester City.

Sorry KK think you have been reading the papers too much!

He didnt give that interview, where are all of the "y'knows"?

KEEGAN CRITICAL OF BARTON OUTBURST

Posted 05/12/07 17:23EmailPrintSave

Former Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan believes midfielder Joey Barton has made a big mistake by criticising the club's fans.

Summer signing Barton recently branded Newcastle supporters "vicious" and claimed to have been "shocked" by the abuse aimed at manager Sam Allardyce and the team.

Keegan, who enjoyed a fine relationship with the fans during his spell as Magpies boss, told setantasports' website: "I think Joey was wrong to say that.

"There's a lot of things you should do and there's a lot of things they shouldn't.

"The one thing you should never do is criticise the fans. You should never bite the hand that feeds you.

"The fans are not stupid, they are a lot cleverer than they're given credit for. Fans are the barometer of a club."

Keegan was manager at St James' Park from 1992-97 and was Barton's manager during his spell at Manchester City.

Sorry KK think you have been reading the papers too much!

If fans are the barometer of a club then we're really not a good club then, are we? :lol:

I can't see that Barton has anything to explain. His words have done the team, the manager and the fans a lot of good, as we can see from the last two performances and the support.

Keegan, not for the first time, is talking out of his arse.

I like Barton a lot, someone complained tonight that a lot of his passes went to Arsenal players put this is partly down to him trying to do something a little different to the "easy ball". When they come off they are normally passes that lead to us being in possesion in very good positions. Would like to see him getting into shooting positions/shooting more but his will to win and ability is something that is very nice to see.

I like Barton a lot, someone complained tonight that a lot of his passes went to Arsenal players put this is partly down to him trying to do something a little different to the "easy ball". When they come off they are normally passes that lead to us being in possesion in very good positions. Would like to see him getting into shooting positions/shooting more but his will to win and ability is something that is very nice to see.

He'll come good with a run of games, I think.

I can't see that Barton has anything to explain. His words have done the team, the manager and the fans a lot of good, as we can see from the last two performances and the support.

Barton's outburst has been directly responsible for the backing the team has received tonight, the first home game for ages where we have backed them from beginning to end.

If he meant it, it was a stroke of genius. Let's keep it going now.

Barton's outburst has been directly responsible for the backing the team has received tonight, the first home game for ages where we have backed them from beginning to end.

Be nice to hear him follow up with a comment about the fans tonight

He already gave an interview following the Blackburn game praising the fans.

Joey Barton........ genius.  I like that sound of that

He already gave an interview following the Blackburn game praising the fans.

Aye I know but I think some small comment about the home crowd would go down well too. Cant have been easy walking out in front of them tonight not really knowing what to expect.... then a goal goes in with 4 minutes

Guest Texasmag

Good article in the Mirror.

Barton on the button

JOEY TURNS AROUND LONG-SUFFERING FANS WITH RARE HONESTY

Brian Reade 08/12/2007

It's unwise to describe Joey Barton as a breath of fresh air because the chances are by tomorrow morning he'll have set fire to his own wind and burned down a nightclub.

The man's an enigma, his next violent or verbal outburst known to no one, including himself. Risk your reputation on him and you'll probably end up with egg on your face, or even worse, a cigar.

His many critics say that with footballers being perceived as illeducated, overpaid oiks, he is the last thing the game needs. But I disagree, and not simply because of his 10 GCSEs. Look past his thuggish tendencies and you see a fearless character prepared to deliver the hard truths that football needs to hear, but which few inside the game will say for fear of de-railing the gravy train.

Who didn't applaud his demolition of the pointless money-driven books churned out by non-achievers like Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole, when he was on the verge of an England call-up?

Who didn't gasp at the attack on the viciousness of a section of his own Newcastle fans, before pausing to admire his courage for saying something that needed to be said.

So entrenched is the portrayal of Newcastle as everyone's second favourite big club, some fans may have failed to separate the patronising from the reality. That's not how Barton works.

As a newcomer to a place he is genuinely fond of, he was shocked by the poisonous abuse that rained from the stands 20 minutes into the game with Liverpool. With Barton's Tourette's-like need to eject what's in his head, when asked his thoughts, he was going to honest.

He pointed out that 55,000 fanatics watching you every week doesn't guarantee success. That the injustice of a club of Newcastle's size being starved of trophies will not be righted by constantly telling the manager and his players they're not good enough. A stable club with winners in all positions guarantees success. And for too long Newcastle haven't had them.

He was merely reminding them that a fanatical support such as theirs can be a huge asset or a crippling burden. Back the players when they're going through a bad patch and they'll come out of it, barrack their every mistake and you'll haunt them with fear. Especially when many of them, like the manager, are new to the club.

Sam Allardyce may not bring back the long-gone glory days, but he deserves to be given more than a dozen games, especially when he's had so little to spend, to show signs that he can.

Barton's uncompromising attack was aimed at cutting through the rancour and pointing this out. It was a hugely courageous wake-up call which seems to have worked as many fans took it on board. Starting with the hard core ones who instinctively know the score.

The away faithful rallied behind the team at Blackburn last Saturday and the players began to respond.

The home support fed on this, and were magnificent when their side went a goal down against Arsenal on Wednesday and consequently confidence surged through the team. That's why they earned the point that could turn around the season.

If it does, Barton deserves the plaudits for holding a mirror up without malice, and laying down some home truths. They're always the toughest to take, but they're more useful than a thousand flavour-currying compliments.

There are too many players spouting empty cliches about "performances not being good enough for a club of this size" as they go home to count their wages. It's good PR for them, but it means nothing. It certainly doesn't show they care. Barton does. That's why he said it.

If he showed a bit more dedication and class we'd call him the new Roy Keane. If he was a bit more honest with himself he might ask why he doesn't curb his impetuous streak, focus on the failings in his own character, and get close to Keane's towering standards.

Then his critics might have to do what thankfully he can't. Shut up.

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/columnists/reade/2007/12/08/barton-on-the-button-89520-20221557/

Venables has had a go at the supporters as well today. I doubt any of these people were at previous games though, and they are missing the point that when fans see a team of players having a go they will only too willingly give their support.

Venables has had a go at the supporters as well today. I doubt any of these people were at previous games though, and they are missing the point that when fans see a team of players having a go they will only too willingly give their support.

Venables ? What the fuck has it got to do with him ?

Venables ? What the f*** has it got to do with him ?

He writes about football

Tard. Venebales, that is.

Also, what has Joey brought to the team so far?

Hope he brings his old city 'drive' to the team or he needs to be dropped.

Venables actually talks a lot of sense, if you take 2 minutes to read the article. Fair play to him.

Venables actually talks a lot of sense, if you take 2 minutes to read the article. Fair play to him.

I can't even read.

I can't even read.

:lol:

Well I must say, I think you're a marvel.