Bez tells it how it is

NSG

maybe bez should stick to playing championship manager and leave the criticism to people that have been there and done it.                                        just going back to 442 isnt going to magically solve things. the players look unfit. un motivated, un organised and tactically unaware. not to mention the fact 442 just wont cut it against some sides. unfortunately criticism like this also normally only makes managers with egos to stick harder with their tactics.                   

maybe bez should stick to playing championship manager and leave the criticism to people that have been there and done it.                                        just going back to 442 isnt going to magically solve things. the players look unfit. un motivated, un organised and tactically unaware. not to mention the fact 442 just wont cut it against some sides. unfortunately criticism like this also normally only makes managers with egos to stick harder with their tactics.                   

He told the Chronicle: “It’s only my personal opinion"

A major blow to our title hopes when Barton gifted a ball for them to score.

"I know that Warren won't mind telling you this one. He got caught trying to be clever instead of hoofing it away and was really upset after the match. What made it worse was that he was an Arsenal fan as a kid, and didn't know whether to laugh or cry when Keegan said to him in front of all the lads 'You're not playing for Southerners now - I didn't buy you to play football - just keep it simple'...."

That caused a bit of an awkward silence in the dressing room, and Keegan then started on the rest of the team, having a real go at people for not performing. In the middle of all this, Tino stood up and started to take his kit off and all the lads were just waiting for KK to go barmy. He asked Tino what he thought he was doing, and got a reply, 'I get changed, I catch plane'. (he was off to play for Colombia)

KK couldn't cope with this, and just shook his head and let him get on with it. When Tino came out of the shower, the gaffer was still talking to us all, and again stopped when Tino pulled a pair of jeans and a thick jumper from his bag. Keegan said to him, 'Tino, you're not going anywhere - look outside, that crowd will be there for another hour.'

The dressing room at Highbury backs on to the street, and if you open the window, you can see all the fans crowded outside. Someone opened up the window and we all looked out including the gaffer, who said 'see? I told you.' Tino turned round, looked at him and said 'yes I will' then looked back out in into the street and whistled. Straight away, a guy on a massive motorbike showed up and Tino gave him the thumbs up before rushing out of the dressing room. Seconds later he appeared outside, strapped on a helmet, jumped on the back of the bike and was gone, blasting off into the crowd..

We were all still looking out of the window in amazement, when KK turned round and simply said "can you believe that guy ?" or words to that effect... 

mental!

Sam is using tactics that he has employed to great effect at his former sides.  he is doing this because for him it is the best way of getting results until he finds a system and team that works best for us.      its Dangerous but in theory he should be safer with these tactics. but its taking far too long for the players to adapt to it with poor results and confusion. now its the crunch time, does sam stick with what he knows and hope it clicks or change what clearly isnt working to appease. 

Guest optimistic nit

i dont neccicarially mind him trying out new things, or how will he find out what works best? it may hamper results short term, but pay dividends long term. the zog is best at left mid though, that cannot be questioned.

Beresford is spot on. Zog is struggling for consistency, but it's difficult to blame him when you don't even know where he will be playing from one week to the next, or who he'll be playing alongside. It's a mess at the minute. Sam needs to show some faith in his players, panicking and swapping it around every week isn't going to get us anywhere. He might fluke the odd win but we'll never see any consistency until he calms down and backs his players.

I've always considered Bez as a bit of a pillock, along with his former co-fullback Warren Barton. That doesn't mean he can't be right on some things, and what he's saying here is what most of us have been saying for a while. It really is just about deploying the tactics and style to suit the players you've got available. Big Sam wants to deploy his players to suit his style instead, which is fine on the training ground. If he doesn't start picking up some points though he might find himself picking up his P45 instead. What will he have proved then?

IMO the big flaw in Bez's argument is that Zoggy isn't actually that good. Not yet anyway.

Do you envision N'Zogbia, or any young player for that matter, becoming "that good" despite being played out of position ina tactical abortion every single week?

IMO the big flaw in Bez's argument is that Zoggy isn't actually that good. Not yet anyway.

Do you envision N'Zogbia, or any young player for that matter, becoming "that good" despite being played out of position ina tactical abortion every single week?

The chopping and changing isn't doing anyone any good. I just think the expectations that are placed specifically on Zoggy as someone who can turn things around for us are misplaced. I don't see him as a major talent.

He can improve, but I worry that the praise that he's already received has gone to his head a bit, and he's already got a bit big for his boots. He also seems a bit immature and nervy and he has to overcome that as well to achieve his potential.

Guest optimistic nit

The chopping and changing isn't doing anyone any good. I just think the expectations that are placed specifically on Zoggy as someone who can turn things around for us are misplaced. I don't see him as a major talent.

He can improve, but I worry that the praise that he's already received has gone to his head a bit, and he's already got a bit big for his boots. He also seems a bit immature and nervy and he has to overcome that as well to achieve his potential.

he's our best midfielder and most effective, regardless of his age.

It's shocking really how EVERYONE seems to be able to see it apart from Sam.

How come it is like this with some managers? Every fan and pundit can see something, but the manager just can't? So frustrating!

s*** thing is, i thought those days were behind us when we got sam in.

There have been times with everyone of our managers where they seem to be the only one not seeing what everyone else does, that includes Keegan and SBR. I am pretty sure it is the same with every other club manager, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho. All of them make decisions that utterly baffle most fans.

yeah, there's probably a lesson to be learned here, if you think about it.......

I think so, he over-analyses the opposition and allows that to effect our game. Whereas we should go in trying to play to our strengths first and then try to stifle the opposition from there. But he seems keen to do the opposite.

http://i19.tinypic.com/7wr4iz5.jpg

I think so, he over-analyses the opposition and allows that to effect our game. Whereas we should go in trying to play to our strengths first and then try to stifle the opposition from there. But he seems keen to do the opposite.

http://i19.tinypic.com/7wr4iz5.jpg

hammer time?

How come it is like this with some managers? Every fan and pundit can see something, but the manager just can't? So frustrating!

There have been times with everyone of our managers where they seem to be the only one not seeing what everyone else does, that includes Keegan and SBR. I am pretty sure it is the same with every other club manager, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho. All of them make decisions that utterly baffle most fans.

yeah, there's probably a lesson to be learned here, if you think about it.......

Aye - all fans are wrong and the manager is completely right.

i was thinking more along the lines of these people get paid to see things that we dont, for whatever reason, based on their records of having done so in the past, i'm just playing devils advocate, you can boo me if you want, you're entitled to

i was thinking more along the lines of these people get paid to see things that we dont, for whatever reason, based on their records of having done so in the past, i'm just playing devils advocate, you can boo me if you want, you're entitled to

Why would I want to boo you - I'm agreeing with you entirely.

Guest nufc_geordie

Got a lot of respect for John Beresford. He never was the greatest footballer in the world but the one thing you can garauntee is his commitment to the cause, even now, he is blunt, straight-talking and had hit the nail on the head with regards to the Zog and players in general playing out of position. If you look at the best teams they are full of combinations. At Man Utd, Vidic and Ferdinand ion central defence. For years it was Neville and Beckham on the right, now generally Wes Brown and Ronaldo, the left they have Evra and Giggs. You only learn to play with players by playing every game and developing an undertanding. Until we keep a settled side for a few games we won't develop as a unit.

Who exactly is being played out of position? In my book it is Zog and Smith. Now Zog's posisitoning makes no sense to me whatsoever, a blind person can tell ya that he's not the right personto play there, which leds us onto Enriques role into the side....is it a case of him not being good enough, fit enough, or just not intergrated and adapted to the english way of football and life, either way zog is being hindered by his lack of involvement. Maybe its because Zog gives the ball away a stupid amount of time. Putting him in defence may teach him to give the ball away a little less, making him a more effective winger. I remember seeing JCole scoring from 20 yards out and mourihno shouting him over and literally giving him a bollocking seconds after him scoring. Now the point i am trying to make, is that the top managers dont really look into too much detail the good things you do, because its wasted time they already know you can do it good, they have to look at the bad things hie does, cos its these things that effect the team most, and in coles situation, he was gettin a bolocking for losing the ball to often, and in my opiion its the saem for Zog. While he goeson his run, a good percentage of the time he'll cut inside and lose the ball, now it might (or might not) be a case of SA giving him more responsibilty and forcing him to learn the hard way that giving the ball away isnt an option.

As for smith, there is some merit in why he isnt being played in his correct position, and i think it has much to do with the Acrifican nations cup, we know that Smith is naturally a forward, but is resonably adept at plaing in midfield, one of the best managers in the world seems to think so and so does SA, when the likes of Geremi goes, Smith can fit into that slot, of right midfielder or central midfielder. Barton isnt exactly 100% fit at the moment, he also would be able to replace Martins and also Butt, it would be silly to not play smith then stick him in the deep end come january where he wont perform, the same can be said if he's playing up front come january then moved into midfield once the squad becomes thin. So the best thing to do is to compromise and play in him midfield.

The thing about football management is that nearly evdery decison that i football manager makes can be justified with one way or another.

He will never perform in midfield! What would be silly is to waste our midfield the whole season from August to January! There is absolutely no value in playing Smith RM of CM to "prepare" him for whats coming in January. He doesn't bring sh*** except bad tackling and bookings, and I wouldn't play him anywhere else than up front, no matter how many injuries we got. Smith isn't a PL midfielder, might be good enough for a no-playing battling side only, mackems anyone?