I’ll always love this club says King Kev

Kev

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/11/30/i-ll-always-love-this-club-says-king-kev-72703-20184330/

KEVIN KEEGAN made a sensational return to Tyneside last night – and admitted his love affair with the Toon Army was still alive and kicking.

Special K sent 850 lucky and privileged fans into a frenzy at the Federation Brewery’s Lancastrian Suite in Dunston, with Geordie fans turning back the clock with chants of “Keegan” and “Walking in a Keegan Wonderland”.

With the packed audience hanging on every word from the Messiah, Keegan spoke of both good times and bad in reference to a five-year period in which he not only transformed Newcastle United but almost changed the face of football with an exciting brand of attacking soccer.

Keegan – who now runs his own successful Soccer Circus theme park in Glasgow – and fellow United legend Peter Beardsley were in Toon for a talk-in organised by Graeme Forster’s www.grass.uk.com which supports local grassroots sports.

KK talked about a wide range of subjects, including:

:: the day he pleaded with fans for patience on the steps at St James’s Park following the sale of Andy Cole;

:: how he once lambasted and subbed Steve Watson at half-time for a poor performance before recalling him from the showers 10 minutes later to tell him he was back on following another injury;

:: how Eric Cantona showed the humility to shake Keegan’s hand after Man United were thrashed 5-0, and admit United were a great team;

:: looking back on the 1995/96 season, when Newcastle came within a whisker of being crowned Premier League champions.

But addressing the crowd – which included ex-players Kevin Carr, Rob Lee, John Beresford and Paul Bracewell – at a sell-out dinner, Keegan said: “It’s always great to come back for me and not just to see Pedro – I have a lot of friends here.

“I played for the club and I managed the club. It was my dad’s favourite club too, he was from Hetton.

“My grandfather was in the Stanley pit disaster and was one of the few who got out alive. So my roots are here.

“I’ll always love Newcastle United and, more importantly, the fans.”

Guest RodrigoPalacio

My first memories of football included King Kev and I'll never forget what he did for us.  Apparently the great man shook my hand when I was still in my pram as my mam went to get the tickets for the testimonial.  Hero.

Would have him back tomorrow

:nope:

KKs finished in football. Good days but they deserve to be kept in the past.

I'd agree that his days as a manager are over but I wouldn't say he's finished with football, I still think he could do something in football and I'm sure he'd be very good at it.

i sat on his knee in his ford when i was about 4  :lol: and done something lots of players for nufc never did ...... lifted the fa cup with kk :razz:

I thought that was going to end with pissing on him or something along those lines. :lol:

i sat on his knee in his ford when i was about 4  :lol: and done something lots of players for nufc never did ...... lifted the fa cup with kk :razz:

I thought that was going to end with pissing on him or something along those lines. :lol:

Kinky!

:laugh: haha

Guest Jinky James

Fantastic night , but lets not forget Pedro who was also on top form, first time I have ever heard him swear. It was like the first time you heard your mother swear, it just didn't seem right.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

He swore loads when he came to our club.  Mind you, John Gibson was far 'worse' for that.  Top blokes like some of them.

Fantastic night , but lets not forget Pedro who was also on top form, first time I have ever heard him swear. It was like the first time you heard your mother swear, it just didn't seem right.

Apparently Beardsley's got a terribly foul mouth from all reports!