Blackburn Rovers 3 - 1 Newcastle - 01/12/07 - Post match reaction from page 21

James

Guest optimistic nit

tudgay is a fucking diving cunt by the way, just needed to say that. oh no, barton brushed my arm with his shoulder, better go down, what, their not putting the ball out, better stay down and get the FUCKING phsio to come on, what for? a broken eyelash? they had the cheek to boo us for not putting the ball out as well. don't see why our players dont all fall down with 5 minutes to play and refuse to get up until the final whistle is blown if that is considered unsporting.

Marcus?

yes, marcus tudgay.

I won't make excuses for their goals, tbh. They scored 3 good goals and brought on quality subs which really helped them out. That doesn't detract from what was an encouraging performance from us overall.

Odd that we didn't bring on either Emre for Butt or Enrique and moved Charlie further forward. Butt was ok first half (apart from giving daft possession away) but second half I thought he went missing in a big way and they bossed us around because of it. For me, Butt just doesn't do enough away from home.

Guest Geordiesned

Some of the posts in this thread are f****** unbelievable. We played well in patches today, we showed commitment, the support was tremendous, the likes of Milner, Barton and Smith probably had some of their best games this season. Anyway, Allardyce out, who gives a s***.

Spot on. At least we had a real go today, from the line-up and tactics to the performances and substitutions.

Blackburn are better than us, and have better quality than us, so we lost.

Well from a neutrals perspective, Blackburn and Newcastle are pretty evenly matched tbh. Goalkeepers are about the same, Blackburn have far better defenders, Midfield about the same and strikeforce pretty equal (you lot probably shade the frontline if everyone was fit). Blackburn beat Newcastle (and spurs for that matter) hands down on team spirit and tactical discipline which basically decides the outcome of the game.

Today they didn't. I couldn't fault our team spirit one little bit today.

martins and smith do look our best option up-front as they are way better for the team as a whole behind them, with plenty of pace, movement and linking. one problem with that is, martins isn't a consistent scorer but rather goes through fits and spurts, and smith scores very very little. there's also no-one who has top class positioning in the box, smith does almost all his work outside the area, and so does martins. if we play these two we need our midfielders to chip in with goals and get into goalscoring positions but they rarely if ever do. i thought this was evident today and despite our good play on the ball a lot of our chances were half-chances or snatched shots that suprisingly rolled or bounced favourably. something to build on and better than what we've seen previsouly but we're not going to score a shedload with that team which, once again, puts emphasis on our defence.

Plenty of effort, but precious little else.

Balls, to be honest. A little bit soft at the back, but there were moments of quality and decent partnerships out there today.

No, just an opinion that differs from yours.

Atleast he backed his up.

Agree with Keefaz. It was much more promising. When Barton is firing on all cylinders, that midfield could work. That's all we lacked in the midfield i think, the bit of quality that i reckon Barton can provide once he's properly going for it. He looked much better and fitter today.

Martins and Smith worked, too.

Sorry if I'm not creaming myself at the way we played. It was all physical, with no subtlety about it.

Apologies if I'm not jizzing myself over the midfield, who left the defence horribly exposed and couldn't contain the 38 year old Tugay. How come Geremi and Butt look five years older than him.

I'm happy for Big Sam to keep going and try to sort the team out, but I'm not going to say cheap, flat white wine is champagne.

I won't make excuses for their goals, tbh. They scored 3 good goals and brought on quality subs which really helped them out. That doesn't detract from what was an encouraging performance from us overall.

Odd that we didn't bring on either Emre for Butt or Enrique and moved Charlie further forward. Butt was ok first half (apart from giving daft possession away) but second half I thought he went missing in a big way and they bossed us around because of it. For me, Butt just doesn't do enough away from home.

One thing that annoys me about Butt is he thinks he's fabregas at times trying to spray the ball around but he's not actually hitting anyone or even getting it close to them at times. Maybe he's seen an opening but especially away from home it's just giving the ball away and inviting pressure on us again.

Yeah, I think Butt's very rarely proved himself to be much cop away from home, and I rate him more than most, tbh.

They don't have better defenders imo, they just have a more cohesive unit. We've been all over the fucking place all season because you never know which back four will be out there, plus they're new to the league.

That Ooijer did alright for them today, remember when he first arrived? Every goal they conceded was down to him, he was giving away penalties like there was a prize available.

Guest optimistic nit

Some of the posts in this thread are f****** unbelievable. We played well in patches today, we showed commitment, the support was tremendous, the likes of Milner, Barton and Smith probably had some of their best games this season. Anyway, Allardyce out, who gives a s***.

Spot on. At least we had a real go today, from the line-up and tactics to the performances and substitutions.

Blackburn are better than us, and have better quality than us, so we lost.

Well from a neutrals perspective, Blackburn and Newcastle are pretty evenly matched tbh. Goalkeepers are about the same, Blackburn have far better defenders, Midfield about the same and strikeforce pretty equal (you lot probably shade the frontline if everyone was fit). Blackburn beat Newcastle (and spurs for that matter) hands down on team spirit and tactical discipline which basically decides the outcome of the game.

given beats friedel hands down tbh. they are a better team though.

Don't think anyone is, SSR. And calm down - you sound like a little kid tbh.

It was a much better performance with some much better individual performances - including the manager, and we were unlucky not to get a draw. I find that really hard to argue with.

Winning and losing isn't really that important to me this year tbh, can't see anything but mid-table as our finishing point for the season.

It's the performances. Last few have been shocking, but this is the kind of game today where we've been pushovers in for years. This is the type of game we've needed to develop more spine in, and from the looks of today it seems that maybe we're doing that.

Need to do it consistently mind you, but if we can do that then it's a great sign for once we're able to add some more quality to our team.

we've won at ewood two seasons in a row.

I didn't mean Blackburn away specifically.

Thought that was obvious.

we always take a huge crowd there and usually put in a good show so i wouldn't really class it as the type of away game we usually do bad in. we've done better than this under roeder and souness so i won't do any cartwheels yet.

tugay scores.

What exactly about my post screams "doing cartwheels" FFS?

My point was basically that's it's an encouraging performance. There's a whole lot still wrong with us and I'm fully aware of the fact that this performance doesn't mean we're fine now or anything.

never said your post did, i just wouldn't include blackburn as one of the traditional gamesin which we struggle, youd have to go back a decade to find the last league game where we didn't turn up. certainly better than previous games but i thought we'd do well anyway.

Which is why I used the expression "kind of game" (i.e away trips to physical, mid-table sides) rather than said Blackburn in particular.

Fact is some individuals were good today but overall we were not good as a team although we were better than against other teams this season, we defended terrible, Blackburn were not a good side today yet we gave them so many chances, we were not good up front as we couldnt convert our chances, Barton's miss ffs! If we were any good we would have shut Blackburn out of this game and won this very comfortably, Villa are a prime example, Blackburn were similar today to the side that played Villa mid week, Villa shut up shop and took their chances and won 4-0, that should have been us today.

Guest optimistic nit

They don't have better defenders imo, they just have a more cohesive unit. We've been all over the fucking place all season because you never know which back four will be out there, plus they're new to the league.

That Ooijer did alright for them today, remember when he first arrived? Every goal they conceded was down to him, he was giving away penalties like there was a prize available.

aye. i trust our defenders individually, but they need time to become a unit.

realistically we need tactics, unity and 2-3 midfielders to become a team that could challenge for europe.

They don't have better defenders imo, they just have a more cohesive unit. We've been all over the f****** place all season because you never know which back four will be out there, plus they're new to the league.

Given - 4

Beye - 4

Rozenhal - 4

Faye - s/c

N' Zogbia - 2

Geremi - 5

Butt - 3

Barton - 4

Martins - 6

Milner - 5

Smith - 4

Carr - 4

Viduka - s/c

Sam Allardyce - 0. OUT NOW.

Its a shame there's not two threads on 'post match reaction'; one for those who watched the match and one for those who didn't.

Thats because I'd be prepared to wager that those people who watched the match would be far more positive than those who posted on the 'didn't see the game' thread.

The scoreline does not do our performance justice.

Really promising performance. Much better in terms of effort, commitment and attacking tactics.

I feel better, regardless of the result.

No argument from me on whether we played better than against Liverpool, of course we did.

Did we play well...... 3 - 1 says it all!!!!!

I think we have 4 major issues destroying our game:

1.  Injuries (again).  Our defense was cobbled together from spare parts.

2.  Width.  We play so narrowly these days that opposition defenses just stack the center corridor and we just run in to a wall of shirts.  However on those rare occasions when we do get wide the players that are trying it just don't have the skill set (crossing, holding up the ball, etc...) to make it work.

3.  Strength.  So few of our players can hold off a tackle.  I have been astonished this season just how easily our players seem to get muscled off the ball.  We need our guys to put on some muscle so they don't get so easily shoved about.

4.  Finishing.  One of the few shot takers (Oba) can make the hard ones but seems to have a psych issue with easy ones (probably panics slightly or something).  Meanwhile the other players just seem to get too indecisive when in the box.  They just spend a little too much time looking at the options rather than what forwards would normally do and just instinctively shoot for goal.

Anyway, thems my thoughts.

Football's not played on paper KD, Blackburn are a better team than us, just as Portsmouth are. Lots of people overestimate our quality in comparison to other teams.

True.  The people that want Sam gone are probably the same people who look at our squad and say "it's good on paper".  In truth, it's relatively average on paper.  Not poor, certainly under-performing recently, capable of top 7, but there is very little that distinguishes us from Villa, Blackburn, Portsmouth, West Ham, Everton. 

Given - 4

Beye - 4

Rozenhal - 4

Faye - s/c

N' Zogbia - 2

Geremi - 5

Butt - 3

Barton - 4

Martins - 6

Milner - 5

Smith - 4

Carr - 4