Blackburn Rovers 3 - 1 Newcastle - 01/12/07 - Post match reaction from page 21

James

Guest optimistic nit

Fact is some individuals were good today but overall we were not good as a team although we were better than against other teams this season, we defended terrible, Blackburn were not a good side today yet we gave them so many chances, we were not good up front as we couldnt convert our chances, Barton's miss ffs! If we were any good we would have shut Blackburn out of this game and won this very comfortably, Villa are a prime example, Blackburn were similar today to the side that played Villa mid week, Villa shut up shop and took their chances and won 4-0, that should have been us today.

we don't have the cohesive defensive until to shut up shop, you'd think someone who'd payed attention to our team this season would know that. we played the game the right way today, we just didn't have the individuals to win the game, that was it.

Guest battyleespeed

Good effort to the last but more importantly disorganized and without any cohesion. Blackburn had a simple game plan with big forwards flicking the ball on or laying it off. Their passing and movement was fairly quick whereas ours was really disjointed and looked like most of the play was improvised. We seem to be clueless in last third of the pitch other than Geremi long throws and inswinging free kicks into to the box. These things could be result of lot of things and Sam's got a hellava work ahead of him trying to solve it in middle of the season.

Besides of those things got to say poor tactics from Sam as well. If anything getting his basic tactics right he could at least minimize the other problems with the team. At left side every time Milner gets the ball we get predictable. Everybody knows by now that he is going to cut back and lay it off or cross it into the box which he rarely can pull off well. I just don't get it why we don't play N'Zogbia there instead with Milner playing right side and get some natural width that way. FFS we have 6m leftback Enrique waiting to be played at leftback. This Milner stuff is getting really old now and needs to be fixed.  

I won't make excuses for their goals, tbh. They scored 3 good goals and brought on quality subs which really helped them out. That doesn't detract from what was an encouraging performance from us overall.

Odd that we didn't bring on either Emre for Butt or Enrique and moved Charlie further forward. Butt was ok first half (apart from giving daft possession away) but second half I thought he went missing in a big way and they bossed us around because of it. For me, Butt just doesn't do enough away from home.

It would be better having Rozza or Faye in Butt's roll for away games especially.

I really do believe Sam can turn it around but if the current run continues I can't see him here to do that.

I mean when Fergie 1st started at Man u they were shite! Which in todays climate he would have been sacked by now. But footie has gone to the dogs where only the ultra rich can compete and if you don't do it overnight then it's the sack! 

Fact is some individuals were good today but overall we were not good as a team although we were better than against other teams this season, we defended terrible, Blackburn were not a good side today yet we gave them so many chances, we were not good up front as we couldnt convert our chances, Barton's miss ffs! If we were any good we would have shut Blackburn out of this game and won this very comfortably, Villa are a prime example, Blackburn were similar today to the side that played Villa mid week, Villa shut up shop and took their chances and won 4-0, that should have been us today.

we don't have the cohesive defensive until to shut up shop, you'd think someone who'd payed attention to our team this season would know that. we played the game the right way today, we just didn't have the individuals to win the game, that was it.

The thing is we do but our players just dont perform, we had 4 defenders out today and 2 defensive midfielders in Geremi and Butt, against a team playing as bad as Blackburn today you would think 6 defensive players could stop them. Also i never said todays performance was unique to todays game, i know its been happening all season.

Guest kingdawson

Football's not played on paper KD, Blackburn are a better team than us, just as Portsmouth are. Lots of people overestimate our quality in comparison to other teams.

Think your'e underestimating how important it is to have tactical dicsipline tbh. Have a look at spurs for a minute, player for player were probably superior to Blackburn, pompey, Everton ect but thanks to our old manager's philosophy that we have to aim to outscore the opposition rather then try and stay solid and create some sort of defensive unit we looked dodgy as hell (ffs only watford conceded more last season and you cant honestly tell me Robbo, chimbonda, king, dawson and lee are the second worst back 5 in the league?).

we may need to sell martins to get into europe i think.

What makes you say that, or is it sarcasm? He's more value to us than any of our current strikers i think, and i wouldn't have thought we'd need to recoup funds...

Guest The Libertine

Football's not played on paper KD, Blackburn are a better team than us, just as Portsmouth are. Lots of people overestimate our quality in comparison to other teams.

myth. we could have easily destroyed liverpool if we had showed some commitment\"!!!

definitely agree with the bold bit though. blackburn finished in the euro spots last year and portsmouth will probably do so this year.

No argument from me on whether we played better than against Liverpool, of course we did.

Did we play well...... 3 - 1 says it all!!!!!

I think we have 4 major issues destroying our game:

1.  Injuries (again).  Our defense was cobbled together from spare parts.

2.  Width.  We play so narrowly these days that opposition defenses just stack the center corridor and we just run in to a wall of shirts.  However on those rare occasions when we do get wide the players that are trying it just don't have the skill set (crossing, holding up the ball, etc...) to make it work.

3.  Strength.  So few of our players can hold off a tackle.  I have been astonished this season just how easily our players seem to get muscled off the ball.  We need our guys to put on some muscle so they don't get so easily shoved about.

4.  Finishing.  One of the few shot takers (Oba) can make the hard ones but seems to have a psych issue with easy ones (probably panics slightly or something).  Meanwhile the other players just seem to get too indecisive when in the box.  They just spend a little too much time looking at the options rather than what forwards would normally do and just instinctively shoot for goal.

Anyway, thems my thoughts.

Injuries, yeah, they've not helped us, we need a settled team to be able to build anything.

Thought we played with quite a lot of width today, many more crosses were put in than recent games.

I also thought that the players got to grips with the physical side really well today, there were loads of crunching tackles going in and in most situations we outfought Blackburn today, not many teams will be able to say that over the season.

Totally agree with you about the finishing.

If this means we beat Arsenal then i'm happy. :lol:

I can imagine Martins will have a good game though. Confidence player and all that - good goal and a good performance today.

I'm gutted today but certainly a little bit more optimistic about Wednesday. They might not even need me to come on in the dying minutes.

We've not once this season played Milner right, N'Zogbia left, Enrique LB, apart from about half an hour against Everton before they switched over for some bizarre reason. I can't get my head round that because it's such a simple thing to do. Swapping Enrique and Charlie round every game is doing nobody any favours. How he expects them to switch their form on and off like a tap in different positions is anyone's guess.

Guest optimistic nit

we may need to sell martins to get into europe i think.

Eh?

he's too inconsistant and he misses too many easy chances. he played good today, but i think we need consistancy and dependability. that said benjani's transformation is very impressive, but he needs to get better at this if he is going to be of any use to us. i am a big fan of his btw.

If people are calling that header from Martins by the six yard box an 'easy chance', then they need to re-think. The ball was bouncing over his head and Friedel was fast coming out to meet him. Wasn't a sitter by any means.

myth. we could have easily destroyed liverpool if we had showed some commitment\"!!!

definitely agree with the bold bit though. blackburn finished in the euro spots last year and portsmouth will probably do so this year.

Is that a joke?

If people are calling that header from Martins by the six yard box an 'easy chance', then they need to re-think. The ball was bouncing over his head and Friedel was fast coming out to meet him. Wasn't a sitter by any means.

It would be better to call it a sitter, Martins can't score those apparently..

Guest The Libertine

Is that a joke?

yes, although to some people its not.

Guest bluegeordie

Gutted by the result, of course, but thought we deserved better. Some shambolic defending, but with our centreback ranks decimated, that was always a likelihood, and tbf that rat-faced little cunt - I mean Bentley - showed some real class in a way that we just couldn't quite match. There were definite positives to take from this match though - for instance, real character was shown throughout the squad; even as the away team, we had more of the overall possession (52 percent) and more shots on goal; Barton looked much, much, much better; Martins looked dangerous, although less than clinical; and the post-pubescent away fans did their usual excellent job, and in the process demonstrated (once again) to some of our home "support" (I use the word loosely) how to back their side, and do their club proud. I just hope (although in truth I know that this is a futile hope) that the doomsayers have the sense to analyze this performance sensibly and in detail, and not simply zero in on the scoreline alone (as the gutter press will no doubt do). Now, let's get the Arse out of the way midweek, and then focus on 7 or 9 points from the three following games. Howay the lads!!!