Latest Newcastle Related Rumours

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Aye lets get Shearer in then, nailed on to be better than Sam....

If he's the one the chairman and owner really want then I wouldn't lose any sleep that's for sure.

Good thing Shearer has plenty of managerial experiene and a proven track record eh?

No good thing he would actually be the chairman/owners own choice.  Also good that he wouldn't be a vastly overatted manager who can only have his sides play one way and refuses to learn from his mistakes no matter how many times he makes them.

The irony of someone criticising Sam Allardyce, a manager that's got a history of over-achievement, as being overrated and then offering up Alan Shearer, a man that has absolutely ZERO managerial experience and hasn't even finished his badges (?), as someone suitable to be managing a premiership club, is fantastic.

Face it you absolutely nothing about what Shearer would be like as a manager, because no-one does, as he hasn't actually managed anything, let alone a Premiership club. People who think he's going to be some kind of saviour are living in fantasy land.

If you've never seen Shearer manage then you can't say he'd be a failure either. Works both ways really so it's a moot point.

It'd be a shot in the dark we all know that. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with it either, but I'm not dead against it. There seem to be a lot of fans who want the manager to be given heaps of time regardless of results or performances and yet these are often the same people against Shearer. It's surprising really, because one manager who would be given the benefit of the doubt, who the fans would cut a lot of slack, is Shearer. He'd be given the time and he'd have the backing of the fans. If he's any good, it could be a very successful combination.

Sam definitely shouldn't be sacked before next summer though, unless we find ourselves in a crisis situation where relegation looks very realistic.

I can't forget the ego that goes with Shearer, we could see what he was like under Gullit when he wasn't getting his own way, he was quite happy to put himself before the club.  Shearer would have to get it right straight away because I'm certain that he'd be less likely to change than Allardyce.

Guest optimistic nit

If you've never seen Shearer manage then you can't say he'd be a failure either. Works both ways really so it's a moot point.

It'd be a shot in the dark we all know that. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with it either, but I'm not dead against it. There seem to be a lot of fans who want the manager to be given heaps of time regardless of results or performances and yet these are often the same people against Shearer. It's surprising really, because one manager who would be given the benefit of the doubt, who the fans would cut a lot of slack, is Shearer. He'd be given the time and he'd have the backing of the fans. If he's any good, it could be a very successful combination.

Sam definitely shouldn't be sacked before next summer though, unless we find ourselves in a crisis situation where relegation looks very realistic.

essentially whether shearer would be a sucess or not would be down to luck, and not judgement. i'd rather not replace allardyce with a shot in the dark. give allardyce time here and we know he will improve us as a side, even if he is not good enough to take us to the CL (which he may be). with roeder and souness we knew the only way was down. if we replace a manager who in my view is guarenteed to improve us if given time with a manager who we have no idea, then in my view that is bad business. replace him with a proven CL manager if you want to replace him, but otherwise no.

By that logic, anyone could manager the club, in which case I think I should be given the job, afterall I've got more management experience than Shearer and no-one could say that I'd be a failure either.

Would anyone who thinks he'd be good like to tell the rest of us WHY?

essentially whether shearer would be a sucess or not would be down to luck, and not judgement. i'd rather not replace allardyce with a shot in the dark. give allardyce time here and we know he will improve us as a side, even if he is not good enough to take us to the CL (which he may be). with roeder and souness we knew the only way was down. if we replace a manager who in my view is guarenteed to improve us if given time with a manager who we have no idea, then in my view that is bad business. replace him with a proven CL manager if you want to replace him, but otherwise no.

I'm not meaning to be glib but there are no guarantees in football. Allardyce has taken on a different challenge and he's struggling. There are plenty possible explanations for why. Maybe he needs time and/or money to get it right or maybe the job is too big for him, the expectations too high. Maybe his one-dimensional tactics have been found out; football is an ever-changing game, studied intensively and teams gradually learn how to cope with different styles (hence why formations and tactics have changed a lot over the decades). Who knows. We can't guarantee he will improve us given time because he may simply invest the money badly like Souness did and leave us in even more of a mess before eventually getting the push anyway. There are no guarantees at all and with billionaires taking over average clubs the competition is going to get more fierce than ever.

It should be remembered that Sam has brought in several players who have not played in the Premiership before. Sometimers it can take a season to adjust and they must be given time.  It will take most of the season for Sam to wash out the old crap and start to bring some stability.

Incidentally, one thing does bother me, how is it that we seem to be so often beaten by 'wonder goals' like yesterday, like Derby, like reading etc. It happens to us more often than other teams and I just wonder if Given may not be quite good enough.  I know he's a great shot stopper but I have always thought that he is not quite big enough, doesn't command his box and gets beaten an awful lot from distance

Guest optimistic nit

I'm not meaning to be glib but there are no guarantees in football. Allardyce has taken on a different challenge and he's struggling. There are plenty possible explanations for why. Maybe he needs time and/or money to get it right or maybe the job is too big for him, the expectations too high. Maybe his one-dimensional tactics have been found out; football is an ever-changing game, studied intensively and teams gradually learn how to cope with different styles (hence why formations and tactics have changed a lot over the decades). Who knows. We can't guarantee he will improve us given time because he may simply invest the money badly like Souness did and leave us in even more of a mess before eventually getting the push anyway. There are no guarantees at all and with billionaires taking over average clubs the competition is going to get more fierce than ever.

aye and hughes struggled first at blackburn, people were calling for fergouson's head during his early years. i'm not going to jump to conclusions about him until he has had, yes, time. we have seen allardyce succeed before, and we know that he has the ability to turn a struggling club into a top 8 club. i think he will manage to do that here. if he does that and then we have to sack him then fine, but we have no ideas whether shearer can do that or not. better the devil you know as they say, We KNOW allardyce has the ability to manage a premiership club, we don't know the same about shearer.

Aye lets get Shearer in then, nailed on to be better than Sam....

If he's the one the chairman and owner really want then I wouldn't lose any sleep that's for sure.

Good thing Shearer has plenty of managerial experiene and a proven track record eh?

just like keegan and look what happened,Its a confidence game alot of the time and a couple of wins and fat sam could turn the corner like wise a new manager can have the same effect .Its a awful situation at the minute and no one knows which way its going to go and me and many others are looking for a little sign that things might change and imho after the next 5 games and we are still in the mire lets get rid .

By that logic, anyone could manager the club, in which case I think I should be given the job, afterall I've got more management experience than Shearer and no-one could say that I'd be a failure either.

Yeah, I get it. He has no managerial CV. Unlike you however he's a widely respected footballer with a reputation worldwide and no doubt has a lot contacts in the game. He also has an inside knowledge of the sport having played at the highest level for the best part of two decades and has an inside knowledge of Newcastle United.

The suggestion that an ex-professional footballer should manage a football club is a perfectly normal one. The suggestion that you should manage one is not.

You could have said the same thing when Keegan was given the job. I can't tell you why Shearer would be a good manager because I don't know him. Can you tell me why he wouldn't?

We could go on with this all day. I get your drift and I'm pretty sure you get mine so we'd just be going round in circles. It'd be a big gamble I agree with you there, and I'm not sure a club of our size should be gambling on a man with no managerial CV.

Sunderland, although a smaller club, took a similar gamble with Keane and it seems to have gone OK thus far. We have employed managers with lengthy managerial CVs, managers with years of experience around the continent and they have struggled here. The most successful appointment we've made in recent history was an ex-Newcastle player who had been retired for 8 years and had no managerial experience to speak of. I think history has shown that Keegan is not a brilliant manager, but what he had was an understanding of the club and a strong connection with the supporters, as well as financial backing. It was a strong combination and I see comparisons with Shearer there. There is certainly some justification for putting his name forward in my eyes, having seen what a force we were under Keegan.

Guest optimistic nit

You could have said the same thing when Keegan was given the job. I can't tell you why Shearer would be a good manager because I don't know him. Can you tell me why he wouldn't?

We could go on with this all day. I get your drift and I'm pretty sure you get mine so we'd just be going round in circles. It'd be a big gamble I agree with you there, and I'm not sure a club of our size should be gambling on a man with no managerial CV.

Sunderland, although a smaller club, took a similar gamble with Keane and it seems to have gone OK thus far. We have employed managers with lengthy managerial CVs, managers with years of experience around the continent and they have struggled here. The most successful appointment we've made in recent history was an ex-Newcastle player who had been retired for 8 years and had no managerial experience to speak of.

you are right, we can't say that shearer would be a good manager, but that shouldn't be enough to say we should hire him. keane is one example, there are plenty of others where hiring an inexperienced manager has lead to catastrophic failure. if we do sack sam i will only be happy if we hire a manager who has proven experience of managing regular cl clubs AND improving them, leading to success. i would be happy if shearer was hired as a coach or assistant, as long as it was clear he was not being groomed to be the manager.

i'm not happy with how allardyce's career with us has gone, but i believe he can manage us sucessfully. the main problem for me has been his attitude to away games and the top 4 (i.e. draw them). i can see his reasoning behind everything else (even the playing players out of position) but having a pre season plan to try and win only 15 of your matches is doomed to fail in my opinion, unless your only goal is to avoid relegation (even then, you would need to win a few away games, especially against your rivals).

aye and hughes struggled first at blackburn, people were calling for fergouson's head during his early years. i'm not going to jump to conclusions about him until he has had, yes, time. we have seen allardyce succeed before, and we know that he has the ability to turn a struggling club into a top 8 club. i think he will manage to do that here. if he does that and then we have to sack him then fine, but we have no ideas whether shearer can do that or not. better the devil you know as they say, We KNOW allardyce has the ability to manage a premiership club, we don't know the same about shearer.

I agree with that. I have more reason to give Allardyce the benefit of the doubt than I did for Souness or Roeder (or indeed Shearer) because he did an impressive job at Bolton. Given time I think he'll stabilise us at the very least but he's done an awful job so far and I'm not sure he'll buy himself the time with the fans or more importantly the board to do that (the chairman is taking a strong interest in the games too which doesn't bode well for him).

Guest The Libertine

not quite NUFC but  bluelaugh.gif non the less

Middlesbrough are the only club to have made an offer for Barcelona's out-of-favour Brazilian playmaker Ronaldinho, with a bid of £10m. (Independent)

Middlesbrough are the only club to have made an offer for Barcelona's out-of-favour Brazilian playmaker Ronaldinho, with a bid of £10m. (Independent)

;D

The Dinho in Boro.  Wheres your party helicopter now pal, more like a taxi to Yarm me thinks.

If we sack Sam, I think we should offer the job to someone like Capello. Got all the experience you can possibly ask for, and never fails. Promise him loads of cash, attendence of 50k+ each home match and he might be interested! He will probably draw some big names to, as he is highly respected all over. The PL is the biggest league in the world now, and the only possible top-4 job that might be available soon is at Chelsea. That Avram is doing pretty good at the moment, so he might even be getting the benefit of the dout, as he is Romans little helper. I think Newcastle will be his best option if he wants to succeed here, and even if he says no, someone like him should be asked long before Shearer. If he comes, fans can't be whining about anything either, because in oppsite to Sam, he is truely proven on all levels. O0