The N'zogbia, Milner, Enrique situation

Guest nufc 4 life
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i also think that enrique is being eased in, given a bit of time to adapt and learn a new culture. he is young, so it makes sense as well.

but as the thread says: enrique as lb, zoggy as lw and milner as rw - the only way to go really

I wouldn't change a winning formula, so i think it's a case of picking one of them. We've played our best football and picked up our most points with the 4-3-3, and last night was arguably our best performance of the season (only the Bolton game rivals it imo) - so i really don't think we should be changing it. We look much more solid.

I think Milner's good on that left-hand side, but Zoggy's got to play so left-back is appropriate.

I wouldn't be against trying Zoggy where Milner plays with Enrique back there. Where does that leave Milner though? On the bench, probably.

Caught in two minds. :undecided:

:rolleyes:

You're either daft or pedantic.

We havent won for 6 games though ???

I think the most important thing to note about Sam's team selection and formation last night was that it worked very well. Enrique in means N'Zogbia out or into midfield, which worked very well for once last night (the midfield). I'd prefer to see Enrique play but he needs time to settle in because of his age. Allardyce has probably already decided he is going start a certain number of games and has probably planned out which ones.

Guest Knightrider

Right, i thought i'd start a thread on the situation regarding N'zogbia, Enrique and Milner and were they are being played.

I believe and i'm sure others do too, that BS is making a huge tactical error by playing N'zogbia at LB and Milner at LM whilst leaving Enrique on the bench. Where is the sense in playing a naturally right-footed, right-sided player on the LW and a natural attacking LW with very good pace and exceptionally good dribbling (although not quite the finished article in his crossing ability) at LB were he seems to be uncomfortable and physically not very capable?

Surely it would make more sense to play Milner at RM were he is most comfortable playing and were he doesnt continuosly have to drop his shoulder and move the ball to his right foot before getting his cross in and N'zobia at LM his natural position, were his direct running and normally quite decent crossing has caused many a defence in previous seasons major problems. Then put our only true natural LB Enrique (i'm not including Babayaro!) actually in that position instead of on the bench. Enrique has looked a hell of a lot stronger than N'zogbia has at LB.

Imagine this... Milner in his proper position, N'zogbia in his proper position and Enrique actually on the pitch in his proper position. This would leave us with a threat on the right with the pace of Beye and the dribbling and crossing ability of Milner and the pace of N'zogbia and the natural ability that Enrique obviously has to stop the oppositions wingers playing whilst also possessing the ability to split defences open with his left-peg. Now were does this leave Geremi well TBH i don't really care, but i think the fact he is our captain is clouding BS judgment, but this is an argument that is already being discussed in the "can we drop our captain" thread.

So anyway ive put in a poll, so what do you guys think, is BS playing the right tactics using the formation he is using or is my idea (albeit pretty obvious) a more appropriate option?

His tactics worked a treat yesterday, Arsenal were forced to play through the middle predominantly instead of down the flanks and when they did get down the flanks, they were often forced inside to play raking square balls which we intercepted many a time, and we as an attacking force ourselves got lots of joy down both flanks, Milner and N'Zogbia were very much in the game, as was Beye and Geremi on the other flanks. Anyway N'Zogbia is being trained defensively which will make him one hell of a left-winger stroke forward in the coming years so I'm happy for him to be used as a left-back for now. Milner is actually better on the left than the right, or equal I think. Cliche would have had no problem dealing with him I thought where as Sagna couldn't handle him at times. If only his crossing was good... Enrique is clearly going to be a big player for Sam one day, so he's being eased in which is the right thing to do in my opinion. Fergie did it with Evra and Wenger often does it with all his new buys, especially the younger ones and the foreign signings.

Guest Knightrider

Oh and it's nice to have players who can play in a number of positions, they give the manager options and allow us to change our approach accordingly. In time I can see N'Zogbia and Milner in particular benefiting massively and with it us too.

Right, i thought i'd start a thread on the situation regarding N'zogbia, Enrique and Milner and were they are being played.

I believe and i'm sure others do too, that BS is making a huge tactical error by playing N'zogbia at LB and Milner at LM whilst leaving Enrique on the bench. Where is the sense in playing a naturally right-footed, right-sided player on the LW and a natural attacking LW with very good pace and exceptionally good dribbling (although not quite the finished article in his crossing ability) at LB were he seems to be uncomfortable and physically not very capable?

Surely it would make more sense to play Milner at RM were he is most comfortable playing and were he doesnt continuosly have to drop his shoulder and move the ball to his right foot before getting his cross in and N'zobia at LM his natural position, were his direct running and normally quite decent crossing has caused many a defence in previous seasons major problems. Then put our only true natural LB Enrique (i'm not including Babayaro!) actually in that position instead of on the bench. Enrique has looked a hell of a lot stronger than N'zogbia has at LB.

Imagine this... Milner in his proper position, N'zogbia in his proper position and Enrique actually on the pitch in his proper position. This would leave us with a threat on the right with the pace of Beye and the dribbling and crossing ability of Milner and the pace of N'zogbia and the natural ability that Enrique obviously has to stop the oppositions wingers playing whilst also possessing the ability to split defences open with his left-peg. Now were does this leave Geremi well TBH i don't really care, but i think the fact he is our captain is clouding BS judgment, but this is an argument that is already being discussed in the "can we drop our captain" thread.

So anyway ive put in a poll, so what do you guys think, is BS playing the right tactics using the formation he is using or is my idea (albeit pretty obvious) a more appropriate option?

Spot on

:rolleyes:

You're either daft or pedantic.

Neither, its a fair question to a loose comment.  We haven't won, much better performance admittedly but if I'm being harsh it was against the weakest Arsenal side they will field outside of the league cup. 

PS Zoggy is not a left back and cannot be kept there long term - we spent £6m quid on a fullback, he needs to be played!

Don't worry guys as soon as Owen gets back as we all now of his defensive capabilities, I think we should try him on the left back and move Zog to the right and Beye in the middle. Then Milner can stay on the left with geremi or smith on the right.

Problem solved guys  O0

Milner skinned Sagna god knows how many times only that he had to cut back in everytime as he's a right footer. Get him back on the right and he'd have skinned Clichy for fun and whipped in a first time ball, not letting the defenders get back in time. This applies to Zoggy who is with Milner, our most potent threats. Yet Zog's been predominantly used as a right-winger or full back. If Sam is so uneasy at using his young spanish full-back, then I'd get Bridge or Shorey in who have experience. Attacking players in attacking positions will get us goals, much like the Tottenham and Everton games.

you're just gonna have to accept that sam prefers left footers on the right and vice versa, isnt it obvious now? i dont imagine he'll ever change his mind, even when we've got two fit players for every position in a 4-3-3 i reckon it'll still be set up like that.

Well first of all i believe that playing the way that has been mentioned is natural and would work but that doesn't mean to say that the system we are playing now deosn't work.

I think N'Zogbia's a very good left back and Milner is very good on the left of midfield. It's the fact that playing this way weakens our right side thats the problem. However, if Sam is easing Enrique into the premierleague i have no problem with what he is doing. When Duff becomes fully fit, at minimum, i'd like to see Milner shifted to the right to make way for him.

I believe we have more important areas of concern than this situation though.

I can understand the logic of playing Milner on the left IF he is allowed to cut into the middle and try long shots.

AND we have another right winger at our disposal.

At this point in time, putting Milner on the left results in a central player having to play down the right. Although I think Martins is doing an OK job there, its far from ideal, to the extent that its nearly wasting a position as well as distorting the team's balance/shape.

We've played our better football, and our better players shine more, with this system. We were 4-3-3 when we won against Wigan, too. It was only in the last 15/20 minutes, but then - that was when the goal was scored. It was 4-3-3 at Boro, too, wasn't it? A momentary lapse of concentration from one player was all that prevented us from winning that game.

The result against Blackburn was very harsh imo, and the Arsenal game was the best performance of the season. This is evidence as far as i'm concerned; i've shouted a lot about playing 4-4-2, but i think this way is probably best for us.

Guaranteed i'll change my mind again before Christmas but yeah. :lol:

We've played our better football, and our better players shine more, with this system. We were 4-3-3 when we won against Wigan, too. It was only in the last 15/20 minutes, but then - that was when the goal was scored. It was 4-3-3 at Boro, too, wasn't it? A momentary lapse of concentration from one player was all that prevented us from winning that game.

The result against Blackburn was very harsh imo, and the Arsenal game was the best performance of the season. This is evidence as far as i'm concerned; i've shouted a lot about playing 4-4-2, but i think this way is probably best for us.

Guaranteed i'll change my mind again before Christmas but yeah. :lol:

Yeah, that's rubbish. :lol:

Fair enough.

Bottom line for me is - our last game was the best performance of the season against the best team we've played, and i think the team should remain atleast for now.

Not against Birmingham at home it shouldn't. We're not expecting to get our arses raped tomorrow. Well I'm not.