Newcastle vs Birmingham Pre Match Thread

Decky

No hyping please! If anyone expects a thrashing or us playing them off the park, think again.

I hope the fans don't just let the Arsenal game be a one-off where we come together, put a great performance in and then we're back to booing the players if it's 0-0 at HT against Birmingham.

I really really really hope that the Arsenal game signaled a new beginning and all of us (including the fans) having a different attitude about the team.

A pathetically insanely boring 1-0 win will do me.

Guest jimmy1982

Birmingham will have new manager syndrome, so alot of their performances will be up a few notches from what they've been so far probably. That won't matter if we can put in a 90 minutes like we did tonight, as we should have too much for them with Martins and Smith working well, and Milner, Zogs, Barton supporting. I doubt it'll be a comfortable match though, and just hope that if we are a bit leggy in the first half and don't seem to be quite clicking (as could quite conceivably happen after the match we've just played in midweek) that the supporters don't start getting all panicky and impatient. Enrique at left back and Zogs on the wing would be a welcome adjustment if Sam's going to change anything, but on the other hand I would have confidence in Zogs to do a job at left back against Brum if thats the way we go.

Id be delighted with Enrique in for Zog at LB, then Zog at LM and Milner at RM with Geremi dropped. Zog was not good at all tonight at LB and i cant blame him, it isnt his position.

agreed, that's the only change i'd make.

then we can bring on emre for whoever of butt and barton needs replacing

i think it will be 3-1 to the toon but brum will make it very hard, they have looked good away at chelsea and spurs this season and they love the counter attack

given

beye taylor roz jose

milner butt emre n'zogbia

oba smith

barton doesnt deserve his place from last nights performance

Guest nufc_geordie

I would go:

----------------------------------Given------------------------------------

Beye---------------Taylor--------------Rozenhal-------------Enrique

Milner--------------Barton------------Butt---------------------Zog

---------------------Smith-------------Martins------------------------

Bench: Harper, Faye, Emre, Geremi,Viduka

Joey BArton seems to be getting fitter by the game and he was unlucky with a few through balls last night. Having Emre on the bench and Geremi gives plenty options to change the midfield if it isn;t working, but against Brum we are going to need width and crosses into the box. They will pack the midfield as they did against Spurs meaning if we play 4-5-1/4-3-3 we will cancel each other out.

For me im nervous. last night we were the underdogs we put in an excellent fightng performance. But against birmingham we will be expected to do the attacking and birmingham will be doing what we did last night. I dont think we have the right balance in the side to be the all out attacking side.

I do hope im proved wrong though!!

Guest Toongaboom

Given

Taylor        Faye    Cacapa

Butt

Milner    Barton  Emre  Zoggy

Smith    Oba

Birmingham have had a boost with the new manager coming in, but if we go out with the same attitude as we have shown last two matches we will win. It really is crucial that the players are up for it because if we think "it's just Birmingham' we will be back to square one.

Guest Guinness

It's vital we approach this game in the same way that we approached the Arsenal game. Birmingham had a great result at Spurs last weekend and will be looking to impress their new manager, if we let the level of performance drop they'll exploit us. We really need a win to get back on track, I'd keep the team the same and give them a chance to produce a similar display.

Why change a succesful formula? No one deserves to be dropped, unless the centre-back injury situation improves. If Faye is fit, he needs to be in the team. Faye and Taylor would probably be most comfortable with Birmingham's physical forwards.

Given

Beye   Faye   Taylor   N'Zogbia

Barton   Butt   Geremi

Martins           Smith           Milner

It'll be tight but our resilience will win us through. 1-0, time for Smith's first goal methinks.

For this match we need to put Zog on the wing and go at them.  Basic 4-4-2.

Still don't think Barton is 100% and after playing the 90 last night could do with a rest.

Given

Beye Taylor Roz Enrique

Milner Butt Emre N'Zogbia

Smith Martins

A lot of people on here picking Emre but I think he's not going to play as much part at Newcastle from now on. While I'd like to see him in a more attack minded team, I haven't been too impressed watching him walk around in midfield  in some matches. Don't think much of his work rate compared to those out there last night.

We should play the same way as yesterday defending from the front, if we do i expect birmingham will then resort to long balls to their big forwards so its we need our biggest/strongest defenders.

Given

Beye Taylor Faye Enrique

Milner Barton Geremi N'Zogbia

Smith Martins

Harper, Cacapa/Roze, Butt, Emre, Viduka 

I think Geremi will do well in the holding role although Butt is pretty good too. I expect sam to go with the same attack and midfield as before though. If faye and Enrique are fit and available they should play as Zoggy and Roze will get out muscled imo. If we need more creativity we have Emre to bring on and if we manage to start pening them in Viduka should come on after 60 mins+ as he'd be very handy in that situation.

Birmingham are there for the taking, and we should not be happy with anything less than 3pts. While the Arsenal performance was good, i still think we should make changes and try and field our 'strongest' team.

...............Given

Beye Taylor Roz Enrique

Milner Butt Barton Zog

........Smith Martins

I really think we need to give Enrique some opportunites and get him into our first team as a regular, we all know Zoggy is best on the LW too. That back 4 is our strongest available at the mo (presuming Cacapa and Faye are still out). Milner had a good game and I like us playing 2 wingers in midfield and attacking.

Wouldnt really mind about the CM, whether its Butt/Barton/Emre/Geremi in there. Smith clearly deserves another start up front with Oba.