Brown to leave Man United?

NSG

It's all well and good people saying "i'd take him on a free", but his agent isn't daft.  They'll ask for even higher wages on account of the fact that he doesn't require a transfer fee.

Aye and when you say "i'd take him on a free" what you're really saying is "he's not that good but he's cheap".

Word on the street is Man Utd are likely to make a move for Alan Hutton either in January or in the summer so Brown will be surplus to requirements.  The guy Christianson on Talksport seemed convinced of this and apparently some of the tabloids have carried the story today.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/12/13/wes-interested-in-united-move-61634-20242474/

Wes interested in United move

Dec 13 2007 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United will try to persuade Manchester United to part company with defender Wes Brown in January after the defender rejected a new contract offer from the Red Devils.

Magpies manager Sam Allardyce first expressed an interest in the England international in the summer but was told by his opposite number at Old Trafford, Sir Alex Ferguson, that Brown was not for sale.

That refusal to sell by the club, however, was also accompanied – albeit in private – by encouraging noises from Brown and his advisers suggesting he was interested in a move to Newcastle, where he could link up with two former Red Devils team-mates, Nicky Butt and Alan Smith. The Journal has been told the player, who has also attracted interest from Sunderland, even discussed the possibility of a move to St James’s Park with his England colleagues Michael Owen and Kieron Dyer during the national team’s summer internationals.

As a result, Allardyce will make a second move for the 28-year-old in the New Year and there is a reasonable chance Newcastle will finally get their man following Brown’s decision not to sign Manchester United’s final contract offer last week. Brown’s present deal expires in June, which will mean he is free to negotiate a Bosman-style free transfer in January. That would be financially lucrative for the player, but Newcastle hope they will be able to land the defender, who has won 14 caps for England, before then by offering Manchester United around £3m during the next transfer window.

Ferguson, like most top-flight managers, will be reluctant to weaken his squad midway through the season, especially without a replacement lined up, but he also knows he will lose him for nothing in the summer if he does not sell next month, which will not please the Old Trafford money men.

As for Allardyce, Brown will be seen as an ideal signing because of his vast Premier League experience and because, in theory, he still has the best years of his career ahead of him. United’s manager has already admitted Newcastle’s defensive problems – they have not kept a clean sheet for 14 games in the Premier League this season – are largely down to the fact so many of his new signings had never played in English football before they arrived on Tyneside.

Of United’s five new defenders this season only Abdoulaye Faye had any hands-on experience of Premier League defending during two years with Allardyce at Bolton Wanderers, while the likes of Habib Beye, Claudio Caçapa, Jose Enrique and David Rozehnal have, at various times, all been exposed while trying to adapt to the rigours of English football. This has already prompted Allardyce to rule out moves for three foreign defenders – Barcelona’s Edmilson, FC Copenhagen’s Brede Hangeland and Steau Bucharest’s Dorin Goian – this week as he does not want to make the same mistake in the next transfer window.

Nevertheless, Newcastle’s boss is still confident Caçapa’s class will mean he overcomes his initial problems in the Premier League.

The Brazilian, a free transfer signing from French champions Lyon, will play in a specially-arranged practice match against a Hartlepool XI today, in the hope of returning to the first-team squad for the trip to Fulham at the weekend.

Allardyce said: “Everybody knows what happened against Portsmouth last month, but what I have to say is that everybody can have an off day. Claudio made a couple of mistakes in the space of five minutes, and that’s why I brought him off.

“He was not 100% fit, but he wanted to play, and looking back, perhaps that was not the best decision he has made. But before Portsmouth, I also have to say that Claudio had been superb for us and we have missed his experience and his guile.”

Damien Duff and Shola Ameobi will also play in the behind-closed-doors friendly, although the former is unlikely to feature against Fulham as Newcastle’s medical staff still want him to build up his strength following a recovery from a career-threatening foot injury.

Another player likely to feature will be South African midfielder Lance Davids. The 22-year-old is on trial at Newcastle from Swedish club Djurgarden following a similar arrangement with Blackburn Rovers.

Nicky Butt the fella who was the 5th man in Man Uniteds 4 man midfield. Alan Smith a fringe player in so many postions at Man Utd. Wes backup right back/centre back.Why dont we go for Fletcher, O'Shea or any other Man Ure player who has been there a few years & is in his mid to late 20's & is just plodding along at the Theatre Of Dreams.

Good news imo, I know many people on here dont rate him but i think he would be a good player for us. He can cover RB as well which is good because it will force Carr even further down the pecking order. I dont think RB is his strongest posistion but he is still better than Carr

Good news imo, I know many people on here dont rate him but i think he would be a good player for us. He can cover RB as well which is good because it will force Carr even further down the pecking order. I dont think RB is his strongest posistion but he is still better than Carr

When you start thinking about 2nd & 3rd choice right backs we must be a great team.

Guest Guinness

Brown would be a decent signing IMO. We've struggled at the back this season primarily because the likes of Roz and Cacapa have struggled to adapt to the pace of the game in the Premiership. Brown has plenty of experience at this level and with arguably our best two defenders off to the African Nations in January would be a very welcome addition.

I'd have him. Good player, stacks of experience. Only concern would be since he's on a free / cheap he'll be looking for very high wages, which is probably why he's leaving Man Utd.

So good player, but the whole price has to be right.

Wes Brown experince? What as sub & squad player. Looking at Wiki he has played 177 times in  11 years that seems shite to me.

It may look like Roz and Cacapa & the CB's are not coping, but fuck me they have got problems all around them, Zog at left back he thinks marking someone is him being on the same pitch as the opposition, Shay unable to stop anything with power whacked at him from outside the 18 yarder (FAO GIVEN FANS: I KNOW THEY WERE WONDERSTRIKES!!!), Nicky Butt cant stop shit  & seems unable to jump in the air unless he has run up, the munchkins in midfield (Emre,Barton,Gezza & Smith) are not going to impose the self defensively on anyone bar the Snow White 7 a side team.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

things may have changed on this front, fletcher could be gone to either wigan or celtic in the new year. Meaning that because he sometimes filled in at right back, brown may now have to stay, and the only reason wes turned down his initial deal was due to no wage increase from what i hear, however he does want to stay

things may have changed on this front, fletcher could be gone to either wigan or celtic in the new year. Meaning that because he sometimes filled in at right back, brown may now have to stay, and the only reason wes turned down his initial deal was due to no wage increase from what i hear, however he does want to stay

Danny Simpson & Pique can play at right back, obviously they dont have the squad man experience of Wes though.

£3m? Why bother? I'd even be in-different if we were picking him up on a free in the summer tbh, but to pay for him now? Yes i can see the logic (offer a low price to get him before anyone else can), but for this particular player?

Unambitious - he's just another squad filler. If we're gonna get more squad fillers, get younger players who aren't crocks.

Allardyce hopes to add to his squad in January, but while he would like to sign Manchester United centre-back Wes Brown, he said: “I don’t know if Wes Brown will be allowed to leave Manchester United in January, I’m not convinced he will, so for the moment, we are having to look at targets elsewhere.”

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has given up hope of landing Manchester United ace Wes Brown on loan next month.

The Magpies tactician had targeted the England international after the long-serving Red Devils ace rejected the chance to sign a new contract.

However, Allardyce believes with worries over Gary Neville's long-term fitness, Ferguson will not be prepared to let Brown depart in the New Year.

The former Bolton manager is desperate to plug The Magpies' leaky defence, although they did keep a clean sheet in their last-gasp 1-0 win over Fulham.

"Wes Brown is not going to be available in January," he told The People. "He may leave at the end of the season.

"The speculation comes round because he supposedly turned a contract down, but I can't see Sir Alex letting him leave with Gary Neville being injured."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_2979788,00.html

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has given up hope of landing Manchester United ace Wes Brown on loan next month.

The Magpies tactician had targeted the England international after the long-serving Red Devils ace rejected the chance to sign a new contract.

However, Allardyce believes with worries over Gary Neville's long-term fitness, Ferguson will not be prepared to let Brown depart in the New Year.

The former Bolton manager is desperate to plug The Magpies' leaky defence, although they did keep a clean sheet in their last-gasp 1-0 win over Fulham.

"Wes Brown is not going to be available in January," he told The People. "He may leave at the end of the season.

"The speculation comes round because he supposedly turned a contract down, but I can't see Sir Alex letting him leave with Gary Neville being injured."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_2979788,00.html

There is also a story about him in the sunday sun but not online yet

Don't know if posted in any other thread

Wes Brown goes off to Toon

By IAN LADYMAN - More by this author » Last updated at 21:30pm on 18th December 2007

Comments Comments

Wes Brown is expected to end his 11-year association with Manchester United by moving to Newcastle as a free agent next summer.

The defender is stalling on a new contract from the Barclays Premier League champions and has told friends that he will not sign.

With United refusing to increase their offer, Brown has accepted that he will have to leave Old Trafford when his current deal expires at the end of the season.

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has long been a fan of the 28-year-old England defender and has been monitoring his situation since the summer.

It is understood that Newcastle's former United players, Nicky Butt and Alan Smith, have helped persuade Brown to go.

Ironically, his decision to sever ties with his only club comes as he is enjoying an extended run at right back in place of injured club captain Gary Neville.

But he is upset that his £40,000-aweek wage falls some way behind team-mates and knows that manager Sir Alex Ferguson has enquired about Bayern Munich's Willy Sagnol and Philip Lahm.

Brown is rated by Ferguson as one of the best defenders in the country but he has endured a stop-start career since his debut nine years ago, largely because of the form of Neville and a wretched injury record.

He has been affected by Ferguson's refusal to improve his contract offer and his form has suffered. On Sunday at Liverpool he was, by some distance, United's worst outfield player.

Allardyce is close to completing the signing of Ben Tozer from Swindon in a deal that could be worth £1million.

However, the young defender is likely to go on loan to a Championship side to gain experience. Allardyce feels the 17-year-old left back would gain more from playing regularly than being stuck in Newcastle's reserves.

He said: "There is a possibility Ben will be allowed to go out on loan but first we want him to stay here for two or three weeks so that we can look at him and he can look at us."

Claudio Cacapa has thanked the Newcastle manager for his reaction to his disastrous display against Portsmouth last month. The Brazilian was withdrawn after 16 minutes but returned to star in the victory at Fulham last Saturday.

"The manager has been great with me, telling me that in all his experience he has never known a player who never had an off-day," said Cacapa.

"I should not really have played against Portsmouth because I was carrying a hamstring injury, but I let my heart rule my head because I did not want to let anybody down.

"Now I can only hope that I have had my off-day for this season and I can help us maintain our current good form. I knew the manager and the rest of the players had confidence in me and I hope I repaid them."

Damien Duff, who has been out since April with a foot injury, yesterday played his second friendly in a week and has targeted a return against Chelsea on December 29.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=503308&in_page_id=1779

Ramage's contract is due to expire this summer, I would be more than happy to see him go and have Brown in his place. Well, I would be thrilled just to get rid of Ramage, but that's not really the point here...

Oh, I should also mention that according to the mail, AC Milan are trying to ditch Ronaldo for free...