Laurent Robert Interview - L'Equipe.

Optimistic Nut

There's no way that Laurent Robert would get near to a Sam Allardyce team.

Allardyce nearly signed him a couple of days before he joined Portsmouth...

Wow. I didn't know that. Maybe Sam is not as averse to the more skillfull but less hard working player than I thought. I'm still not sure about him coming back though. Remember how excited some got when Bernard came back, and look how that turned out. He probably wouldn't be as good as many of us remember.

He had Okocha in his Bolton team for years ffs

I don't think the Bellamy argument works with Robert, Crumpy. Their careers since us prove that. He was brilliant for us overall but by the end was rubbish iyam.

I don't agree that he was shit in the end, he just couldn't work with Souness.  Souness dropped him and we were shit as a team after that, the fans put Souness under massive pressure to play him and the teams performances got better when Souness brought him back.  We did well in the UEFA Cup until Robert was dropped because of something he said in the papers and we went out of the UEFA.  I still think that we could have done better if Souness had put the club before his ego and played Robert.

I don't think the Bellamy argument works with Robert, Crumpy. Their careers since us prove that. He was brilliant for us overall but by the end was rubbish iyam.

I don't agree that he was s*** in the end, he just couldn't work with Souness.  Souness dropped him and we were s*** as a team after that, the fans put Souness under massive pressure to play him and the teams performances got better when Souness brought him back.  We did well in the UEFA Cup until Robert was dropped because of something he said in the papers and we went out of the UEFA.  I still think that we could have done better if Souness had put the club before his ego and played Robert.

12 goals in 03-04 and something like 30 assists, absolute quality

Guest Brewcastle

i would get him back on a free! back up for duff nd zog, would provide some entertainment!

Get him back to show our current dead ball expert how to take a free kick. Free kick coach.

Jepp  O0. After Solano left, the free-kicks have s***ed.

Laurent Robert  :clap:

Ahh I loved watching Robert. Is it just me that would rather watch a player who can be red hot, if only maybe few games, even if is woeful every now and again as well. Zoggy was looking promising in the regard down the left flank early in the season but seems to have lapsed back into horrid respectability :)

Everytime Robert took a set-piece, there'd be a chance we'd score, or at least test the keeper; even from corners! I remember he curled the ball so much, every time he took a corner, he nearly scored :lol:

Frustrated me when he never turned up, but you always felt that he could produce something everytime he touched the ball.

Aye corners were a bit hit and miss but thats mainly down to the fact that he looked like he was going for goal every time! :lol:

Aye and he hit it with some force. When he got it right he was brilliant.

When you look at the attacking players we had during SBR's best spell, you could fancy us to beat any team on our day.

Robert

Shearer

Bellamy

50 odd goals a season there.

Speed

Dyer

Solano

Jenas

Likely to pop up and score a few as well. Always fancied Speed or Shearer to score from a corner or set-piece, Robert could put one in the top corner. For awhile with Dyer & Bellamy we looked like one of the fittest teams in the league.

Ungrateful lot we were.