Gudjohnsen linked again

TRon

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article598495.ece

supposedly a 3 way fight with Man City and West ham to pay £8m for his services. Don't really see how he would give us the pace and power required to make Allardyce's 4-3-3 effective. We have enough one-paced forwards at the club already so if this is true, I hope Mort refuses to release the funds.

Would have preferred Gudjohnsen over viduka but obviously he is proud enough not to see Barcelona as a complete failure and wanted to fight on, if the papers are to believed which is probably a waste of time I cannot see Man city interested with just getting Nery Castillo on loan. Also West Ham supposedly have had a bid accepted but declined by the player it could be a great signing as either an option up front on where I see it more like the link between the midfield and strikers much like his chelsea days.

Although is 6-8 million too much to spend on a 29/30 year old who really hasn't consistantly played for about 18months.

I hope Mort refuses to release the funds.

That's the kind of stuff NE5 has a field day with.

If the manager wants him then so be it. £8m seems a lot though.

This is just my personal view that we don't need more fairly slow strikers, however good their technique. We already have Viduka, Owen and Smith. We need an Anelka type IMO. It's not a given either that Mort will just hand over the funds to Sam, he'll probably want to see which way we are heading before handing over major cash.

This is just my personal view that we don't need more fairly slow strikers, however good their technique. We already have Viduka, Owen and Smith. We need an Anelka type IMO. It's not a given either that Mort will just hand over the funds to Sam, he'll probably want to see which way we are heading before handing over major cash.

It may also come down to the relationship between Mort and SA as Mort may say "tell me who you would like and we will see what we can do" or he may say "you have a budget of £xmill to spend see what you can get" I know I am obviously simplifying things there but depending on the relationship SA may not even target a gudjohnsen type player.

It may also come down to the relationship between Mort and SA as Mort may say "tell me who you would like and we will see what we can do" or he may say "you have a budget of £xmill to spend see what you can get" I know I am obviously simplifying things there but depending on the relationship SA may not even target a gudjohnsen type player.

I just think whatever the budget Allardyce shouldn't be looking at Gudjohnsen full stop. Not that he's a bad player, he just isn't what we need IMO.

For the right price I would personally take him he is a very technically gifted player and as I have mentioned before his link up play is excellent and could be just what we need to be more creative comming from the middle I still shudder at the lack of passing ability at times and the lack of a creative direct approach which I think Gudjohnsen would bring. Years of experience and still relatively young and played for SA before ticks alot of boxes for me.

He is not going anywhere in this transfer window ,he is now back in the team and the way he has played  lately  has made him a starter in the Barcelona midfield.

We should have gone for him in the summer when he was available.  Now is only the British based media making up this s***! There’s nothing in it!

But he’s a player that we could use! A battling midfielder with a fine touch and good vision for passing. IMO exactly the type of player we need for.

We should have gone for him in the summer when he was available.

All summer he said he wasn't moving, and is saying it again now. Just total paper bullshit to keep linking him with the obvious 3 sides without any actual evidence.

We should have gone for him in the summer when he was available.

All summer he said he wasn't moving, and is saying it again now. Just total paper bullshit to keep linking him with the obvious 3 sides without any actual evidence.

Paper spin really his dad is his agent and he said something along the lines of " he does not want to move but you never know what is going to happen"

Yeah, reminds me of the Carrick/Butt situation tbh....

we don't need another old, immobile yet skilful forward who spends half his time playing in midfield, we already have one in viduka and we've failed to use him correctly. it's been a few years since gudjohnsen played as a lone striker, around the same time damien duff was setting the league alight, i'm not really sure he has it in him to reprise that role. tbh i don't think strikers are a priority, we have four or five who have all shown to be decent to good players but allardyce has yet to get the best out of them. part of the problem is a lack of pace and creativity in midfield to open up space and manufacture good chances for the forwards.

we don't need another old, immobile yet skilful forward who spends half his time playing in midfield, we already have one in viduka and we've failed to use him correctly. it's been a few years since gudjohnsen played as a lone striker, around the same time damien duff was setting the league alight, i'm not really sure he has it in him to reprise that role. tbh i don't think strikers are a priority, we have four or five who have all shown to be decent to good players but allardyce has yet to get the best out of them. part of the problem is a lack of pace and creativity in midfield to open up space and manufacture good chances for the forwards.

:thup:

blueyes.gif

Guest Sniffer

Nice to see that the bulb has finally gone on for some of you who couldn't see this in the summer.

As I said then , you can buy as many grunts as you like to win the ball but it's useless if nobody can do anything with it. 

I'd be very selective in releasing funds to allardyce if I was Ashley, especially if he's looking at players pushing 30. If this is a rebuilding period then we need younger players who want to win, not over the hill tossers looking for a final bumper contract.

blueyes.gif

Aye pretty much spot on really. I think Gudjohnsen's similar to what we should be looking for, ie skillful, play-making quality behind the forwards, but he's about 32 (correct me if i'm wrong) and that is a lot of money especially when we've spent £6m on Smith, like Tmonkey said.

I don't know who it was who said it, but i too hope Mort refuses to release major funds in January, because the chances are if we've got a fairly high profile target, we'd have to pay stupid money. £3m for Brown would have been pretty stupid imo - needless.