Alan Smith

tmonkey

If we refuse to sell Smith we are mental, I never thought any club would want to take him off us, its a deal we need, gets him off the pay role and lets face it we are not going to miss him even if he is not replaced.

I think its Fulham who have been haggling with Everton re Johnson.

SSN said last night that Fulham had told them to get ready as they'd hoped to announce the deal last night but the deal had hit a snag and negotiations were still ongoing between the 2 clubs.

Big Problem we have is replacing Smith as we currently have no fit strikers and the ones we have are like bolsa wood.

Unless of course KK already has someone lined up waiting for the Smith deal to go through.

I'm not trying to be funny here but how much of problem is it to replace a forward who hasn't scored a goal and you could probably count the number of shots he's had on one hand and still have fingers to spare?

Name a replacement who is available and who would come then.

Smith has played a load of games on the right of midfield and in central midfield.

He's got his head down and got on with it and never moaned or took the huff.

He's never been in the papers for bringing the club into disrepute.

He's a good honest pro who desperately needs a goal to give him a lift, you don't become a bad player over night.

Guest David Kelly

I think its Fulham who have been haggling with Everton re Johnson.

SSN said last night that Fulham had told them to get ready as they'd hoped to announce the deal last night but the deal had hit a snag and negotiations were still ongoing between the 2 clubs.

Big Problem we have is replacing Smith as we currently have no fit strikers and the ones we have are like bolsa wood.

Unless of course KK already has someone lined up waiting for the Smith deal to go through.

I'm not trying to be funny here but how much of problem is it to replace a forward who hasn't scored a goal and you could probably count the number of shots he's had on one hand and still have fingers to spare?

Smith has played a load of games on the right of midfield and in central midfield.

He's a good honest pro who desperately needs a goal to give him a lift, you don't become a bad player over night.

And he's played shit on nearly every occasion.  He looks better up front but still doesn't threaten the opposition's goal at all.  It's not like he's just out of luck with his efforts, he just doesn't have any.

We looked better with Duff and Milner up front last night than we do with him (both of them look a lot more mobile and have much better control) and the young kid looked more likely than him to score too.

We do need more cover up front but Smith should be already out of the equation anyway so moving him on wouldn't make us worse off it would just free up wages.

True, he's been on the slide for some time.

Nothing against the bloke, but for what he offers on those wages, he simply has to go.

Do we actually need a replacement?

Guest Sniffer

If Smith goes and we aren't going to make a splash and get Bent I'd look at Nugent. Hasn't had a chance at pompey and far too young to write off. We'd get him for 3 mill as he won't get much of a look in at portsmouth.

I'm not bothered where Smith has played for us, he's only played 1 decent game that I can think of.  Players can score from midfield and defence, even Des Hamilton scored more goals for us that Smith has.  He's done nothing wrong off the pitch and I don't think anybody has ever said anything other than that but he's paid for what he does during the game.  I can't think of a worse forward that we've had at this club since Ian Rush came here under Dalglish, at least Rush managed a couple of goals.

As for naming a replacement, pointless as I couldn't prove that they'd come here or were available, I would say that as far as our forwards go, Smith would be my last choice, I'd probably rather play Harper up front than Smith, he's that bad.

He needs replaced but i'd rather play Andy Carrol than Alan Smith TBH.

He's injured as well though!!

We are desperate for a decent injury free forward even if Smith doesn't go.

Realistic choices for me are Nugent or Ashton

Unrealistic choices are Klose or Podolski

If Smith goes and we aren't going to make a splash and get Bent I'd look at Nugent. Hasn't had a chance at pompey and far too young to write off. We'd get him for 3 mill as he won't get much of a look in at portsmouth.

Not a bad shout. 100% strike rate for England(!)

Seriously though, reckon we could even convince Pompey into a loan deal to have a proper look at him. Only reason he is digging his heels in and not moved so far this summer will be 1. the ca$h and 2. not wanting to drop a division (the two obviously going hand in hand).

Basically, selling Smith would relieve the wage budget if we're led to believe the figures, and it would force us to buy another forward.

A player like Heskey would provide much, much more than Smith.. and I don't rate Heskey at all.

Guest Sniffer

He needs replacing in terms of the squad though, we simply can't rely on Owen and certainly Viduka. I'd prefer a young player than a cheapo though.

And Nugent is too old, eh Dave?

He needs replacing in terms of the squad though, we simply can't rely on Owen and certainly Viduka. I'd prefer a young player than a cheapo though.

And Nugent is too old, eh Dave?

I'm sure there are others in the world who can do a better job than Jimmy Bullard and David Nugent.

Guest johnson293

He needs replaced but i'd rather play Andy Carrol than Alan Smith TBH.

He's injured as well though!!

We are desperate for a decent injury free forward even if Smith doesn't go.

Realistic choices for me are Nugent or Ashton

Unrealistic choices are Klose or Podolski

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/westham/2508984/Dean-Ashton-Tottenham-offer-turned-down-by-West-Ham---Football.html

West Ham allegedly turned down £15m bid for Ashton, wanting nearer £20m!  :kasper: