Alan Smith

tmonkey

Foremost, I do not think that it is merely some frustrated teenagers that booed him.

Secondly, while it would certainly be a very bold statement to say that all his team mates will turn on him, I would prefer to say that there will definitely be some team mates that will turn on him. To be honest, for myself, I do not like to be with incompetence in the same team. Either they improve (show their value) or they get out.

I'll be amazed if any of the players are moronic enough to turn on a mate because people boo him, I'd expect the opposite.

You are entitled to your views for that.

I, on the other hand, do not think that it is moronic. I would just think that players are not that kind enough to tolerate another player who is grossly incompetent and is a burden to the whole team. Surely and fairly everybody deserves a chance to improve and prove otherwise, however there is a limit to tolerance.

The tolerance limit to your posts has been reached. You are a grossly incompetent poster and a burden to this forum. We shall now turn on you and force you to delete your account and move to Toontastic.

O0

The tolerance limit to your posts has been reached. You are a grossly incompetent poster and a burden to this forum. We shall now turn on you and force you to delete your account and move to Toontastic.

O0

Hahahaha that is very interesting.

To be honest, I am not that old and could be about the same age as the majority of the members here. However, my area of studies and occassional attachments opened my eyes to the harsher realities of the world. Henceforth, for my often pragmatic (blunt/harsh) perspectives. In any case, there would be no value added if I were to approve to all the moral-based, sympathy-based arguments etc that is on here.

With regards to Smith's issue, what is right and what is wrong? It is subjective, isn't it? Besides, booing has been a continuing and growing trend for the past decade. A law could be enacted to stop people from booing and penalties such as fines. However, is it desirable? On the contrary, if there is no express statement from the law or from the management (FIFA, EPL, Newcastle United Football Club etc), could it be that it is implied to be acceptable?

See... again, there's lots of room for discussion.

At first I thought it was a wind up. But apparently there are some people who actually believe that if you boo a player, the rest of the team will turn against him! Un - fucking - believable!

IT has happened so many times with NUFC and other clubs, if a player is having a rough time and the crowd is on his back, if he manages to get a goal the rest of the team rally round him. If the unthinkable happens and Smith gets a goal, just watch the reaction of the rest of the team.

O0

To be honest, I am not that old and could be about the same age as the majority of the members here. However, my area of studies and occassional attachments opened my eyes to the harsher realities of the world. Henceforth, for my often pragmatic (blunt/harsh) perspectives. In any case, there would be no value added if I were to approve to all the moral-based, sympathy-based arguments etc that is on here.

Jesus you talk some shit.

I'm sure most of the posters on this board realise its "a hard world", but thank you for communicating that to those who don't.

I think you might find that the all of our "moral based sympath based arguments" are not because we are worried that poor Alan might feel bad, but because as supporters by definition we have a common goal of Newcastle United Football Club performing well. If our manager deems it fitting to put said Alan on the pitch, then Newcastle United Football Club will not perform better by booing.

At first I thought it was a wind up. But apparently there are some people who actually believe that if you boo a player, the rest of the team will turn against him! Un - f***ing - believable!

IT has happened so many times with NUFC and other clubs, if a player is having a rough time and the crowd is on his back, if he manages to get a goal the rest of the team rally round him. If the unthinkable happens and Smith gets a goal, just watch the reaction of the rest of the team.

Perhaps I may be too cynical about human beings, however I honestly do not think that the heart of a human being is portrayed by his actions. On the surface, they may want to create a certain image but deep down, that may not be the case. It is not difficult to appear neutral to a person, or be good to a person, yet at the same time, isolate the person using other means.

If he manages to get a goal, the team rally around him... but does that not mean that Smith has indeed make a point to prove himself otherwise contrary to his incompetence image, hence it is a form of acknowledgment from the team and the fans. Of course, that same level of competent must be continued over a series of matches, otherwise, the booing may just return.

Also, could it not be the team and the fans cheering for the goal and not for Smith himself? It does have a difference, doesn't it?

Last but not least, I think it is a bold statement to state that the rest of the team will turn against him, it is safer to state that some will turn against him or isolate him.

O0

... as supporters by definition we have a common goal of Newcastle United Football Club performing well. If our manager deems it fitting to put said Alan on the pitch, then Newcastle United Football Club will not perform better by booing.

Indeed, by definition, we do have a common goal of Newcastle United Football Club performing well.

But who is to say that Newcastle United Football Club will fare worse from the booing? And who is to say that fans have no rights to booing? Even when we read the news, occasionally, managers have spoken out that fans is correct to feel disappointed and correct in booing. Additionally, there is no explicit law or directions from the world governing body or the various managements stating that booing is not allowed.

Love it or hate it, booing has been a growing trend for the decade and is part of the modern game. Big successful clubs have it too (Real Madrid, Barcelona etc) but they do eventually reward their supporters with success. Is that not a very good precedent?

At first I thought it was a wind up. But apparently there are some people who actually believe that if you boo a player, the rest of the team will turn against him! Un - f***ing - believable!

Perhaps I may be too cynical about human beings, however I honestly do not think that the heart of a human being is portrayed by his actions. On the surface, they may want to create a certain image but deep down, that may not be the case. It is not difficult to appear neutral to a person, or be good to a person, yet at the same time, isolate the person using other means.

If he manages to get a goal, the team rally around him... but does that not mean that Smith has indeed make a point to prove himself otherwise contrary to his incompetence image, hence it is a form of acknowledgment from the team and the fans. Of course, that same level of competent must be continued over a series of matches, otherwise, the booing may just return.

Also, could it not be the team and the fans cheering for the goal and not for Smith himself? It does have a difference, doesn't it?

Last but not least, I think it is a bold statement to state that the rest of the team will turn against him, it is safer to state that some will turn against him or isolate him.

mate, this is a football forum. there's a philosophy course starting at newcastle college on september 8th that i think you might be interested in, that would be a good place to air your musings. but we're just gonna tell you to shut up and stop booing.

O0

... as supporters by definition we have a common goal of Newcastle United Football Club performing well. If our manager deems it fitting to put said Alan on the pitch, then Newcastle United Football Club will not perform better by booing.

Indeed, by definition, we do have a common goal of Newcastle United Football Club performing well.

But who is to say that Newcastle United Football Club will fare worse from the booing? And who is to say that fans have no rights to booing? Even when we read the news, occasionally, managers have spoken out that fans is correct to feel disappointed and correct in booing. Additionally, there is no explicit law or directions from the world governing body or the various managements stating that booing is not allowed.

Love it or hate it, booing has been a growing trend for the decade and is part of the modern game. Big successful clubs have it too (Real Madrid, Barcelona etc) but they do eventually reward their supporters with success. Is that not a very good precedent?

Ericz, as a regular attender of home games and away games, I can say with absolute certainty that I have never been in a situation where the fans turning on a player or the team has resulted in the team lifting itself and putting on a performance. My personal experience is that when game is going badly, often you will find that it take some random perceived injustive like a bad referee decision to the the crowd behind the team. When they get behind the team, there can be a definite improvement in performance.

There's more to this than just the booing though. It's a slippery slope when fans start abusing their own players, and like most people I think it's just wrong. On the flip side though, when players are hanging around a club only because they don't want to give up their exorbitant pay packets, it does stick in the craw. Both Shola and Smith are staying put  when their sale would release some much needed funds and in that situation there are always going to be a few who need to vent.

O0

is that the biggest heap of shit sentence masquerading as an argument ever posted on here ?

Just recap fans cant boo players, managers back them 99.9% of the time in public. Nee wonder England produces a lot of shite players the most of the fuckers don't know they are shite.

Previous managers & boards have had a lot more grief at matches than a few kids in purple tops booing them in a pre-season game.

Just recap fans cant boo players, managers back them 99.9% of the time in public. Nee wonder England produces a lot of s**** players the most of the fuckers don't know they are s****.

Previous managers & boards have had a lot more grief at matches than a few kids in purple tops booing them in a pre-season game.

Using your way of thinking we just need to boo like hell and the league is ours.

Just recap fans cant boo players, managers back them 99.9% of the time in public. Nee wonder England produces a lot of s**** players the most of the fuckers don't know they are s****.

Using your way of thinking we just need to boo like hell and the league is ours.

I don't think I said that all, as your old enough to know booing our managers,singing sack the board while booing the likes of Stimo, Whitehurst, Rob McDonald, Glyn Hodges won us f*** & in fact it didn't even get us promotion but it made them players f*** off sharpish though.

My main point is it seems okay to boo or sing songs against Newcastle managers or slam a chairman/board but boo a player & it is not okay for some reason.

I don't think I said that all, as your old enough to know booing our managers,singing sack the board while booing the likes of Stimo, Whitehurst, Rob McDonald didnt has won us f*** & in fact it didnt even get us promotionhas won us f***, made the players f*** off sharpish though.

My main point is it seems okay to boo or sing songs against Newcastle managers or slam a chairman/board but boo a player & it is not okay for some reason.

wasn't the point about booing a player as he is coming on ? does it help ? not in my opinion.

I don't think I said that all, as your old enough to know booing our managers,singing sack the board while booing the likes of Stimo, Whitehurst, Rob McDonald didnt has won us f*** & in fact it didnt even get us promotionhas won us f***, made the players f*** off sharpish though.

wasn't the point about booing a player as he is coming on ? does it help ? not in my opinion.

how do you boo a player at the end of a game?

Alan Smith may not be a good player...at all but the lad gives his all and if our fans are prepared to isolate a player for that sort of reception then i can say without doubt that those who did boo, fuck off out of our stadium and put a red n white top on. Mackems will boo our players, NOT US!

Alan Smith may not be a good player...at all but the lad gives his all and if our fans are prepared to isolate a player for that sort of reception then i can say without doubt that those who did boo, fuck off out of our stadium and put a red n white top on. Mackems will boo our players, NOT US!

Hate it when i hear this

Anything that can be classed as negative does not help in the short term esp to the mentally weak. But I think it made a player like Nicky Butt want to show people they were wrong which he did as he went from being booed pre-season to many peoples player of the year. Lets hope Alan comes pounding back & scores his first goal next week against the Mancs.