Alan Smith

tmonkey

Speaking of England and Alan Smith, remember the first full England international match at the new Wembley when the front 2 was Owen-Smith? I felt a bit proud that night :lol:

Speaking of England and Alan Smith, remember the first full England international match at the new Wembley when the front 2 was Owen-Smith? I felt a bit proud that night :lol:

Aye, was against Germany. Owen missing that chance where the goal was empty and Smith just trolling around like usual. :lol:

Aye, was against Germany. Owen missing that chance where the goal was empty and Smith just trolling around like usual. :lol:

Brazil.

Brazil.

Just checked that, right. Really thought that the one against Germany was the first one. It still was Owen and Smith in attack for that one iirc.

Brazil.

Just checked that, right. Really thought that the one against Germany was the first one. It still was Owen and Smith in attack for that one iirc.

Yep, they started up front in both games.

Brazil.

Yep, they started up front in both games.

:thup:

At least I got that one right then. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I'd put a hold on those celebrations... I mentioned it earlier in the thread... Does he not get paid another month on top if he hasn't signed for another club? Same as Owen & Viduka etc...

Guest Howaythetoon

Alan Smith is a crook of a footballer in that he has robbed our club and indeed his own carreer of a carreer. He's a coward to boot. He would shy away from responsibility whenever it came his way, be it passing up a shot on goal, a difficult pass, to stay on his feet and not lunge in and generally and pretty much showing for the ball. Damien Duff was the same, Marc Viduka and Michael Owen when he wasn't interested. Big name players with big reputations on big wages who cost big money and did fuck all for this club except for extracting as much money as they could for very little sweat. It is no coincidence that at the end of his lucrative Newcastle contract, he decides to go and find a club to play football for. He has made his money so he can now afford to basically. All this talk of model pro etc. is wrong. Alan Shearer was a model pro, Shola Ameobi despite his critics is a model pro. Colo is a model pro. Alan Smith is a crook of a footballer and a mercenary in the same way Michael Owen is. Ironically, Owen did more in a Toon shirt than Smith ever could have hoped for.

He probably is a decent bloke who trains hard etc. but that isn't something he should be lauded for, not when in his time here he did fuck all literally, other than cost us an absolute fortune off the pitch and on it, often prove a complete liability, that is!

The only shame is just how good he was/could have been when he was younger because at Leeds, when he played up front, when he first broke into the side, he was a beast and looked like something special.

Can you blame injuries and being played in midfield? Perhaps but the underlying fact about players like Smith is they become complacent and happy with their lot, often forsaking their carreers and reputation in the process. It says a lot about the attitudes in this country when it comes to football though that the likes of Smith are considered model pros because they run around a lot, put a tackle in and don't kick up a fuss when they are sat on the bench.

Guest BooBoo

Well the majority of that is cobblers.

His injury at Liverpool ruined him. Footballers full stop are all overpaid so frankly I don't care anymore what they earn. Smith was an average player who battled manfully to overcome a career threatening injury. His time at NUFC was disappointing but blame those who signed him for risking such a lucrative contract on a player with poor injury history.

I'm on holiday for the leaving party. I'll make sure to have a few drinks to celebrate though.

Looking forward to the Xisco leaving party next year as well, should be a good'un :thup:

Its not his fault he got offered such a massive contract. It would have been nice if he fucked off but I can't blame him for seeing out, anyone else would have in his position.