Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

It is worrying how many times he is beaten from outside the box. In fact i cant remember the last time he madea point winning or match winning save. 

I really dont think he's been the same since Harewood nigh on disembowled him.

I seem to recall Tim Flowers having the same problem.

If you watch any 'goals of the season' from around 94-97 watch out for Tim, never stuck his arms out fully when going for long rangers and always seemed to dive backwards.

Getting beat regularly frm disatnce is a weakness, but is ususally down to technique so can be worked on.

I'm sure Shay recognises this - well he better had

I seem to recall Tim Flowers having the same problem.

If you watch any 'goals of the season' from around 94-97 watch out for Tim, never stuck his arms out fully when going for long rangers and always seemed to dive backwards.

Getting beat regularly frm disatnce is a weakness, but is ususally down to technique so can be worked on.

I'm sure Shay recognises this - well he better had

I doubt many would have saved Le Tiss's effort.

We should have bought Gordon for £9m...

:lol:

I think Harewood trying to remove his colon has affected his game a little. Given is still a good keeper, I am not sure he is fully back to his best yet.

To be fair to him he needs the defence to actually close down a little first, shots like that shouldn't even be getting through them...

Not blaming the lad---his injury is simply a trajety---but similar to Cech, they are downgraded from great goalkeeper to good goalkeeper due to injury.

Sorry for him tbh, but he is declining. The worst case is we may have to ask Krul to step up next season.

Not blaming the lad---his injury is simply a trajety---but similar to Cech, they are downgraded from great goalkeeper to good goalkeeper due to injury.

Sorry for him tbh, but he is declining. The worst case is we may have to ask Krul to step up next season.

Not still a little too early? Shay is still good enough but if there was a drastic decline I wouldn't be adverse to picking up Jussi on a free in the summer.

Yes, just the worst case, because no one can predict the pace of declining for Given. It is very worrying in my opinion, not asking to drop him as he should still be our best keeper but the alarm is on already.

Just add this one to his 07/08 portfolio.

He's useless; never tracked Barnes' run, didn't close him down and then his x-ray vision failed at a crucial moment again. What an absolute bastard.

Wasn't aware Given's supposed to be the holding midfielder who protects the defence and closes down on players attacking loose balls at the edge of the area. It all makes sense, now that you bring this new fact to light.

You didn't mention the x-ray vision.

Wasn't aware Given's supposed to be the holding midfielder who protects the defence and closes down on players attacking loose balls at the edge of the area. It all makes sense, now that you bring this new fact to light.

I thought these footballers were always told to keep there eye on the ball. I agree shite like Butt & Rosie are not likely to protect a goalkeeper that much but there are a lot of shots from outside the box flying past Shay this season.

It was a well placed shot because Barnes had time to place it and Given was unsighted; the despairing slide by Barton showed how dangerous he felt the situation was. It does seem churlish to add this to a list of alleged gaffes and seems more like making the facts fit the argument.

I thought these footballers were always told to keep there eye on the ball. I agree s**** like Butt & Rosie are not likely to protect a goalkeeper that much but there are a lot of shots from outside the box flying past Shay this season.

It was a well placed shot because Barnes had time to place it and Given was unsighted; the despairing slide by Barton showed how dangerous he felt the situation was. It does seem churlish to add this to a list of alleged gaffes and seems more like making the facts fit the argument.

I thought these footballers were always told to keep there eye on the ball. I agree s**** like Butt & Rosie are not likely to protect a goalkeeper that much but there are a lot of shots from outside the box flying past Shay this season.

Thing is, if they actually did their job, Shay would have very few longshots to save!

(biased, as I am a keeper though ;) )

Thing is, if they actually did their job, Shay would have very few longshots to save!

Well thats a GIVEN O0

But Derby only had two shots on target & scored twice. :-[

Well thats a GIVEN O0

But Derby only had two shots on target & scored twice. :-[

Both could have been stopped if Roz got his foot in. Especially the second..

Like some have alluded to, the only thing wrong with Shay Given is that he hasn't won us any points this season.  Other than that, he's been steady Eddie.  Are there any keepers in the prem winning teams games this year?  Maybe little Kasper at the start of the season for City, but he was quite lucky.  I suppose in order to be lucky, you have to be good.