Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

Given is past his best.

Agree with that - the long-term injury has taken the edge off him and as I have said before,he doesn't command his area as a top keeper should - not even as good as Harper at doing that...

His strength was in reaction saves, but his handling of long-distance shots this season has been poor - the Barnes goal was not particularly fast, but it was reasonably well-placed but Given should have been down faster than he was.

Agree with that - the long-term injury has taken the edge off him and as I have said before,he doesn't command his area as a top keeper should - not even as good as Harper at doing that...

His strength was in reaction saves, but his handling of long-distance shots this season has been poor - the Barnes goal was not particularly fast, but it was reasonably well-placed but Given should have been down faster than he was.

I dunno.. Past his best? A bit harsh, perhaps. He's obviously not gonna shine as much as he could before, with a slightly more solid defense infront of him. I can't back this up with numbers or anything, but I feel our defence overall is more solid than it has been with at least the previous two (or even three - including SBR) managers, and thus Given will never have to work as hard as he would have to before.

Although, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if his injury has indeed changed him. It was a pretty serious one, and he'll always be likely to 'protect' himself subconsciously because of that, like any other person. It's sad really, cos he has been one of our best players since the SBR era started, clearly.

Wasn't his fault some stupid arsehole decided to give a free kick away in that position, just because he hadn't fouled anyone for nearly a minute.

Havent seen the game so can't really comment but can say I wasn't surprised who gave the freekick away.

he should have saved it, he stepped to his left first and then couldnt get across to his right.

starting to agree more and more that we should cash in while we can

Think we've missed the boat there, personally.

he should have saved it, he stepped to his left first and then couldnt get across to his right.

starting to agree more and more that we should cash in while we can

Think we've missed the boat there, personally.

i fear you may be right

Notice Jussi made another cock up today, to add to this season's list.

He made a brilliant point blank save from Cahill and a couple of other decent stops then lets in one of the softest goals you'll see this season.

Given - 11 games, 45 shots on target, 19 goals conceded.

Harper - 8 games, 40 shots on target, 10 goals conceded.

Currently conceding at a rate of more than 2 goals for every 5 shots on target.

isnt this another of Sam's strange decisions.

Wasnt Harper doing ok while Given was injured yet as soon as Given was able to walk again, he went straight back into the side.

Good incentive for players to play well if the manager is quickly showing that he has his favourites.

isnt this another of Sam's strange decisions.

Wasnt Harper doing ok while Given was injured yet as soon as Given was able to walk again, he went straight back into the side.

Good incentive for players to play well if the manager is quickly showing that he has his favourites.

Yes.

Given - 11 games, 45 shots on target, 19 goals conceded.

Harper - 8 games, 40 shots on target, 10 goals conceded.

Currently conceding at a rate of more than 2 goals for every 5 shots on target.

Well that's really useful, shots that fly in the top corner and shots that come straight at them are counted exactly the same.