This Liverpool jizzfest.

Optimistic Nut

I don't think it was a penalty, but I don't think it was a dive either.  The player slid in at some rate, Gerrard DID avoid the tackle and that's what has knocked him off his feet.  You can clearly see he stumbles, but he shouldn't have claimed for a penalty.  Not every challenge has to result in a free-kick/penalty or a yellow for a dive. 

I don't think it was a penalty, but I don't think it was a dive either.  The player slid in at some rate, Gerrard DID avoid the tackle and that's what has knocked him off his feet.  You can clearly see he stumbles, but he shouldn't have claimed for a penalty.  Not every challenge has to result in a free-kick/penalty or a yellow for a dive. 

agree, gerrard didn't go down right away either but tried to stay on his feet and take the shot.

Haha, Liverpool drew with a team that fielded Ade Akinbiyi :lol:

Just a blip though, I'm sure Liverpool will recover.

Has Benitez ever signed a defender capable of performing in the PL? So far, it seems not, but time will tell.

Guest tynesidelad

Would Liverpool fans be calling for Benitez's head if he hadn't won the champions league? They havn't really been neck and neck w/ chelsea battling for the title since he took over. Liverpool fans always say the league is the trophy they want desperatley.

I think you're exaggerating a little, I don't think they'll have any problems finishing top 4.

However, I don't think they have a hope of matching Chelsea over a season and I completely agree that the press are overrating them on the back of a Community Shield game. Everyone now has them down as better than Arsenal and Man Utd, I'd be very careful making that assumption. I'll be surprised if they finish 2nd.

I think they are very reliant on Gerrard and Alonso (yes, I know they were benched against Chelsea). If both of those got injured I could see them dropping quite a few points, and if you want to finish above Chelsea that is simply not an option. A couple of injuries in defence could leave them in trouble as well. Benitez has signed a lot of players who may or not make the grade, players like Gonzalez, Paletta, Pennant. Aurelio and Bellamy are class acts but both are injury prone. As for Kuyt, we'll have to wait and see how he makes the step up to the Premier League.

Chelsea won't drop many points this season. To finish above them you have to win nearly every game.

Thought Agger was rather good. Happy that a couple of their players have picked up a few minor knocks yet I'm in awe of the fact that their replacements WOULD be starters in our team (Pennant and Agger).

Who would Pennant replace in our team? Solano, Duff and Dyer could do a better job on the right IMO, and then there's Milner who had a better season than Pennant. If Pennant was in our squad he'd have been on the bench today.

Guest Franks Wild Years

I'd still take...

van der Sar over Reina

Neville over Finnan

Silvestre over the modern-day Hyypia

Carrick over Sissoko

Giggs over Zenden & Pennant

Saha over Crouch & Fowler.

So that's why our defense is much better than Man Utd's, by way of 3/5ths of it being inferior. I suppose you'd have Ferdinand ahead of Carragher too....

As for Carrick and Sissoko, it's like comparing Roy Keane to Jamie Redknapp. Carrick is a passer, not a battler and Man Utd have no one who matches up to Sissoko in terms of battling, with a fairer Carrick comparison being to Alonso, a contest in which there is only one winner (and it ain't the middling ex-Spurs player).

Giggs over Zenden, sure. Giggs over Pennant? I'm not sure why this comparison is being made, given that they play on seperate sides - a more apt comparison would be with Mark Gonzalez, who - once he got into the pace of the game - looked more dynamic than the ageing Giggs does these days)

Saha over Crouch and Fowler, that's open to debate but Saha is Man Utd's #1 goal hope so if we're going to do a comparison, surely one with Bellamy and Kuyt (who will almost certainly start more games than the others) would be more apt? This is very selective. I deal in fact, and the fact is that we made up a great deal of ground on Chelsea last year and have improved the squad considerably in the summer. An opening day blip against a tough, niggly side who might just be the Premiership's next 'Bolton' isn't going to change that. It's not up there with, say, failing to beat Aston Villa at home in the first proper game at a new, huge stadium.

The reason Liverpool are being tipped is simple - an exponential improvement in the league last season coupled with new signings and the fact that the team is helmed by one of the world's very best managers, a manager who has to date won just about every major competition he's had a team competing in. Why shouldn't there be expectation that he could add the Premiership to his haul?

Thought Agger was rather good. Happy that a couple of their players have picked up a few minor knocks yet I'm in awe of the fact that their replacements WOULD be starters in our team (Pennant and Agger).

Who would Pennant replace in our team? Solano, Duff and Dyer could do a better job on the right IMO, and then there's Milner who had a better season than Pennant. If Pennant was in our squad he'd have been on the bench today.

I'd play Pennant ahead of Solano because of his pace and how that would contribute to our overall game. Especially if Roeder is going to stick with this 4-5-1. Although I do understand where you're coming from, I reckon having a pacey right winger is better than having Solano or Milner on the right. And playing Duff on the right wing is just a non-starter because the only reason to do such a thing would be to accomadate Zoggy but there's no reason to change a winning formula (we are winning atm). We need pace, especially with our strikers lacking this important characteristic.

Guest Redcar Mag

Most of BBC Sport's employees support them so we should be used to it by now. Someone rang up 6-0-6 to complain that Alan Green's boss should stop him doing Liverpoo matches.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Well, he only signed yesterday after they've spent all week working on a gameplan.

well it doesn't take all day to translate 'stick this round thing in that square thing' from spanish to dutch  blueyes.gif

Can we stop this Bellamy jizzfest too? Or is it being naughty to suggest that?

Personally, I think this Bellamy wank-a-thon is part of the "Hate Souness" mentality we all have. The lad played well for us, but there's no need to put him on a pedestal just because he "stood up to" Souness. Just because Souness was a cunt doesn't make Bellamy a saint!!!

It's 2006/07 - he's a Liverpool player and a loathsome toad who bitches, sooks and moans on a level no one else comes close to - why isn't he a hate figure for Christ's sake?!?

Out of interest when he was in charge of Valencia who was the main players there?

Cañizares in goal, defenders like Ayala, Marchena and Aurelio with Albelda and Baraja in midfield and Aimer and Vicente providing a lot of their creativity.

It was an uber-defensive team which won La Liga by conceding the fewest goals ever in a season. They actually scored far fewer goals than any of the sides behind them and won the league with only 75 points. As he has done with Liverpool, they didn't have any one player scoring lots of goals.

Didn't Mista get 20 goals or something of that sort in the season they won it? I seem to remember that he was close to being the top goalscorer then faded the next season because his supply line ie. Aimar and Vicente were injured for the most part of that season.

Moving on, I think Baraja is top class. Albelda is also very underrated. Both Spanish internationals yet I don't understand why they were never snapped up by any of the big clubs yet someone like Mendieta was sold for a humongous fee. Mendieta only did excelled because of the structure of the team (similar to how Gerrard has stepped it up a notch after Rafa joined Liverpool) but Baraja and Albelda provide much more stability to the center of their midfield. Too bad Aimar's been injured for the past couple of seasons and now, sadly, sold because I reckon if he and Vicente were fit for the past couple of seasons, they could have challenged Barca for the Primera Liga and Champions League.