The January Deadline Day Thread

Keefaz

We rejected a £15m bid for Arteta from Valencia last week

There were quotes on it from one of their officials and Arteta's agent

since "WE" here is mostly newcastle you perhaps should add "We,Everton, had a bid rejected.." :)

:)

In the other clubs' transfers thread?

Luke Moore will be leaving Villa soon. Worth a punt for someone.

I've got a dreadful, dreadful feeling Gary Cahill will leave, too. He's meant to be our CB partnership of the future with Curtis Davies, but apparently there has been bickering with MON, which always results in only one winner. Someone is going to get an excellent CB if he does go.

If we don't buy a right back, I shall be killing myself.

Oh, and Harewood out on loan is a strong possibility, if we get a new striker in (Crouch, I believe).

How does Spurs fans feel about the stuff that Berbatovs agent said in the papers today? I just spoke to a Swedish friend of mine who's a huge Tottenham supporter and he's devastated - he can't see a single striker in the whole of Europe to replace him with that is within their reach. He kept on talking about David Villa, but why on earth would he want to join Spurs?

How does Spurs fans feel about the stuff that Berbatovs agent said in the papers today? I just spoke to a Swedish friend of mine who's a huge Tottenham supporter and he's devastated - he can't see a single striker in the whole of Europe to replace him with that is within their reach. He kept on talking about David Villa, but why on earth would he want to join Spurs?

I read something this morning about Olof Mellberg being poised to join Birmingham City instead of Juventus when his contract ends, which I thought was the most ridiculous transfer rumour I'd heard for a long, long time.

Then I thought about David Villa and Spurs and remembered it isn't.

I've got a dreadful, dreadful feeling Gary Cahill will leave, too. He's meant to be our CB partnership of the future with Curtis Davies, but apparently there has been bickering with MON, which always results in only one winner. Someone is going to get an excellent CB if he does go.

Oh, and Harewood out on loan is a strong possibility, if we get a new striker in (Crouch, I believe).

I was going to ask you the other day actually, what is up with him? Maybe I am just making it up in my head but I am sure at one point he was looking a really good young prospect.

I was going to ask you the other day actually, what is up with him? Maybe I am just making it up in my head but I am sure at one point he was looking a really good young prospect.

He's the best natural finisher at the club, but he's a bit of a stroppy git, apparently. He's the textbook definition of a player who needs a move, tbh.

How much do you reckon you will sell him for? Might be worth a punt with Oba away and Viduka, Owen crocked a lot.

I can't see us getting much more than 2m for him. That's a shame, but it has been his recent failure to grasp his chance that has made things end up like this.

He'll guarantee you six points against Boro every year at the very least, mind.

£2m in the current market for a 21 year old English striker seems well worth a punt. Will give Sam a bell :D

Forget Moore, if Cahill goes, it will be for pathetic money, given his future worth. I'd almost rather we didn't renew Laursen's contract and let him go than sell Cahill, and Laursen is a colossus.

Guest kingdawson

His agent is s*** stirring knowing full well we hold most of the power as his contract still has 3 years to run. No doubt in my mind he'll be off in the summer but after Levy's comments yesterday, i doubt we'll sell him in january (unless its a ridiculous transfer fee).

As for the Villa rumours, his agent has come out publicly and said that Villa will be willing to join us if the clubs agree a fee BUT i doubt thats going to happen (i rate him Highly mind).

£2m in the current market for a 21 year old English striker seems well worth a punt. Will give Sam a bell :D

Forget Moore, if Cahill goes, it will be for pathetic money, given his future worth. I'd almost rather we didn't renew Laursen's contract and let him go than sell Cahill, and Laursen is a colossus.

I know I won't have watched him anywhere near as much as you but from what I have seen Gary Cahill is nothing special really. He looked average to me in the Premiership and is good in the Championship but doesn't really stand out as being clearly too good for that level or anything.

How come you rate him so much? Is it more his age/potential?

I know I won't have watched him anywhere near as much as you but from what I have seen Gary Cahill is nothing special really. He looked average to me in the Premiership and is good in the Championship but doesn't really stand out as being clearly too good for that level or anything.

How come you rate him so much? Is it more his age/potential?

I thought he has shown in his PL appearances for us that he has what it takes. He's a very composed defender indeed, never looks flustered, keeps his head. The diametric opposite of Zat Knight, if you will ;)

As you said, it is also about his age and potential, which is worth more to us and a few million from flogging him.

Guest ObaStar

Berbatov to Newcastle

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article633000.ece

DIMITAR BERBATOV has sensationally told Spurs he would like to join a ‘big’ club — putting Newcastle United on red alert.

In a bombshell interview with SunSport, the Bulgarian superstar’s agent Emil Dantchev last night revealed: “I have already spoken to the Tottenham chairman, Daniel Levy, and told him that if a club that corresponds to Dimitar’s class and ambition comes in with an offer that suits his current club in January, he would like to be allowed to go.

"Dimitar is OK at Tottenham. I would not say he is happy. But his performances for the club are a testament to his commitment to the fans and his team-mates.

“He has never stopped trying and scoring goals to help the team.

“Fans must understand Dimitar is 27 next month and time is running out for him to play for a club that can match his ambition.”

That club ideally would be one of the Premier League’s big five — United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle — or the likes of AC Milan, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, who are also following the situation closely.

The news will be a bitter blow to Spurs supporters, as well as boss Juande Ramos.

Ramos refused to give assurances Berbatov would not be sold in January, following the striker’s four-goal haul in the 6-4 win over Reading.

United, who failed to land the striker with a £19m bid last summer, are certain to line up a new offer. They will need £25m this time.

Dantchev added: “I would like to stress this is not about money. This is about sporting ambition.

“Nor has it anything to do with new manager Juande Ramos. Dimitar is perfectly happy with Ramos and the way he is working.

“But after Tottenham’s bad start to the season, it is unlikely they will have the chance to do something big this season.

“It is a long-term plan for them. Dimitar wants to fulfil his potential and win trophies now.

“He would definitely consider a move outside of England. That is not the issue. What matters is it is a club that matches his ambition and his level and there are only five or six around Europe.

“Two clubs outside of England and one from the Premier League are interested in him.”

Ramos said: “Football is an open market in January. Any player has a chance of changing teams if there is an offer. So I can’t give any assurances.”

Speaking to SunSport in November, Levy refused to rule out the chance Berbatov could be sold next month.

But speaking on the club’s official website last night, he said: “Once again, for the record, we are not a selling club.”

Speaking to SunSport in November, Levy refused to rule out the chance Berbatov could be sold next month.

But speaking on the clubs official website last night, he said: Once again, for the record, we are not a selling club.

As he was saying to Michael Carrick this very morning at the training ground

His agent is s*** stirring knowing full well we hold most of the power as his contract still has 3 years to run. No doubt in my mind he'll be off in the summer but after Levy's comments yesterday, i doubt we'll sell him in january (unless its a ridiculous transfer fee).

As for the Villa rumours, his agent has come out publicly and said that Villa will be willing to join us if the clubs agree a fee BUT i doubt thats going to happen (i rate him Highly mind).

Berbatov has 2 years plus a 2 year option, so assuming we took up our option, it's 4 years still to run.  Don't think Berbatov will be going anywhere this window, Dantchev has been told by Levy that he can go in this window for £40m and not a penny less!  I think he's a nailed on certainty to go to Utd in the summer though Rednose has has bid £5m for Defoe.  Why he would want another midget I have no idea, it's been turned down anyway.

Berbatov to Newcastle

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article633000.ece

DIMITAR BERBATOV has sensationally told Spurs he would like to join a ‘big’ club — putting Newcastle United on red alert.

You added this bit yourself :thup:

That's canny fuking sad by any standards.

I'd take him for £12-13m, nothing more, average to good form striker.