Lets get this Emre thing straight.

STM

Over the last couple of weeks all i've heard about our midfield is that Barton, Butt or Geremi should be dropped to accommodate Emre. The reason for this sort of comment is because Emre comes off the bench and fires on all cylinders and is generally a fan favourite because of his style.

However, when was the last time you saw Emre give a good midfield performance, when he has started the game? If there are many, then they are few and far between. I believe this to be down to Emre being a confidence player. When he comes off the bench he is obviously sparked by the fans apprieciation to the switch and gives a better performance. Another example was on his debut when he had alot of hype around him and he gave a cracking performance.

When Emre starts he rarely "domintates" the midfield. In contrast i think he can be sloppy and average (with the odd bit of genious). I'm not claiming that Emre is a poor footballer at all, he is probably the most gifted player at the club technically but mentally he doesn't seem to cut it.

I dont particularly believe Geremi, Butt or Barton have been good but i believe people need to rethink the opinion that Emre will make much of a difference. Role on january.......

Guest michaelfoster

The thing is Barton is more a DM/CM who gets forward, Butt is a DM and Geremi is a DM, playing 3 DM's at home is pointless as theres no attacking threat from midfield, at least Emre gives us that option imo. Bartons been gash so far & isnt playing as well as he did at Man City.

Ridiculous that he's not been given more games quite frankly.

He's not really suited to a 4-4-2 but if we're going 4-3-3 then he's ideal for that system.

Why do Smith and Geremi get countless chances to start games in the middle despite playing very poorly for the most part, while Emre gets one start every so often and is then written off as not good enough to start because he doesn't play great?

As you say he's inconsistent so he may not be the solution long-term, but right now he's by far our best option if we actually want to have someone who can play it about in the middle of the park. Whether we actually want that is another question though.

If he is a confidence player as you say then I'm sure it would do his confidence the world of good to actually get a few starts rather than sit on the bench while Alan Smith flounders about in midfield.

Ridiculous that he's not been given more games quite frankly.

He's not really suited to a 4-4-2 but if we're going 4-3-3 then he's ideal for that system.

Why do Smith and Geremi get countless chances to start games in the middle despite playing very poorly for the most part, while Emre gets one start every so often and is then written off as not good enough to start because he doesn't play great?

As you say he's inconsistent so he may not be the solution long-term, but right now he's by far our best option if we actually want to have someone who can play it about in the middle of the park. Whether we actually want that is another question though.

If he is a confidence player as you say then I'm sure it would do his confidence the world of good to actually get a few starts rather than sit on the bench while Alan Smith flounders about in midfield.

Nail on head.

Absolute joke he doesn't start in the 4-3-3. He is ideal to be the most attack minded of the three.

In 4-4-2 I see the sense in leaving him out: He is a bit of a luxury in the middle, Sam prefers grafters who get stck in ahead of creativity.

Guest loves the toon

on current form barton and geremi have been shocking.

emre must start at wigan

will put in more effort than them 2 put together

as for alan smith,take away the arsenal game,he only gets a game cause ashleys got his name on his shirt

If you're going to play Emre, you have to give him a free role. He's very erratic defensively, doesn't track his man, and seems to play in bursts. In fact, regardless of formation, he ends up taking a free role anyway.

I'd have him either as one of the wider players in a 4-3-3 or the withdrawn striker in a 4-4-1-1. But basically he's far better suited to continental football. I wouldn't start with him unless injuries made it the best option.

Guest Eires No. 1

Thats just it, when he plays in a 4-3-3 he gets put in the holding role for some reason.  Much the same as Nobby was playing pre season.  This leaves the likes of Butt and Gerami having to get forward  :crazy2:  and normally means Butt having to do twice the work that he should doing Emre's defensive duties....... Madness!!

If you're going to play Emre, you have to give him a free role. He's very erratic defensively, doesn't track his man, and seems to play in bursts. In fact, regardless of formation, he ends up taking a free role anyway.

I'd have him either as one of the wider players in a 4-3-3 or the withdrawn striker in a 4-4-1-1. But basically he's far better suited to continental football. I wouldn't start with him unless injuries made it the best option.

In a 4-3-3 you can have one of your midfield trio in a sort of free role, as there are two others in there to do the bulk of the ball-winning.

Remember in Roeder's early time as manager he played Emre just off the striker in a sort of 4-4-1-1, the whole show went through him and we played some terrific ball retention football, we just couldn't score because it was Shola up front on his own.

We had Bowyer playing as the box-to-box midfielder with someone (can't remember who, Butt presumably?) playing the holding role, and Zoggy and Solano down the flanks. We have the players now to play pretty much the same system, Barton is basically a better version of Bowyer while Viduka is a vast upgrade on Shola.

The reason we're absolute shit to watch is because we have nobody in our center midfield with the vision and playmaking abilities to make us anything but an ugly, direct football team.

I think Emre should be moved on in the summer, he's never done enough to justify his place in the team.  He looks OK when coming off the bench but he's too much of a luxury player who offers very little.

Guest Brewcastle

I think Emre should be moved on in the summer, he's never done enough to justify his place in the team.  He looks OK when coming off the bench but he's too much of a luxury player who offers very little.

Ironic?

Emre is the one that have turned matches back on the tracks for NUFC.

I'm afraid he won't get the same free role if he starts, as when he comes on as a substitute. He is just a to good and creative player for Sam's intent style....

If we persist in playing the percentage (hoof and hope) game then he'd may as well be on the bench, but if we actually want to try to put our foot on the ball and play football then he's our best (only) player that can make it happen. He's no Alonso or whoever but i'd rather we tried to win first than playing it safe with 3 defense minded midfielders on the field, then bringing him on with 15 minutes to go when plan A isn't working.

Guest Knightrider

Emre = the answer = straw clutching...

You're content with our current central midfield then?

No but it's horses for courses as far as I'm concerned.

I'm personally more concerned for Enrique, enriques absense is restricting the most attacking player we have in this midfield. SA has said that he believes the squad to be a 442 squad, i cant imagine SA favouring Emre at all to be honest. In my opinion Allardyce is obsessed with having midfielders who will track back and provide defensive cover when required and its not in Emre's natural game to track back. Allardyce is obsessed with work rate. I imagine his stats show that Emres hearts not pumping hard enough and isnt seeing enough of the football pitch, it would explain why he prefers Smith Barton Geremi and Butt.

Emre = the answer = straw clutching...

I don't think anybody has said he's "the answer", simply that he's the best at what he does in our squad at present.

I can't help but feel any of our players that aren't playing much seemingly get better on the sidelines. Emre is technically pretty good, but I have major doubts about his influence on games when starting. Picking a pass, being intelligent - all that stuff usually associated with him - it's all been lacking on a regular basis since he's been here IMO. Not saying he's not worth a go, but there's nothing to say we'll be any better overall.

Guest Knightrider

I can't help but feel any of our players that aren't playing much seemingly get better on the sidelines.

It's a traditional thing. All Toon players become better players after spells of absence.

If we keep Emre out for a few more weeks, he'll be as good as Elano by the end of Jan.

I can't help but feel any of our players that aren't playing much seemingly get better on the sidelines.

It's a traditional thing. All Toon players become better players after spells of absence.

If we keep Emre out for a few more weeks, he'll be as good as Elano by the end of Jan.

Nobody is saying this, I said myself that long term he's probably not the answer.

But can you give me one good reason that Emre doesn't at least deserve a chance to start a few games and see what he can do given how absolutely dreadful our central midfield has been this season?

I can't help but feel any of our players that aren't playing much seemingly get better on the sidelines. Emre is technically pretty good, but I have major doubts about his influence on games when starting. Picking a pass, being intelligent - all that stuff usually associated with him - it's all been lacking on a regular basis since he's been here IMO. Not saying he's not worth a go, but there's nothing to say we'll be any better overall.

Owen's the exception then?

Nobody is saying this, I said myself that long term he's probably not the answer.

But can you give me one good reason that Emre doesn't at least deserve a chance to start a few games and see what he can do given how absolutely dreadful our central midfield has been this season?

Emre seems more motivated when he comes off the bench, he rarely looks it when starting a game.