Lets get this Emre thing straight.

STM

Guest birdhunter

I'm following you guys for a while now but never written before so this actually my first post. I am a Galatasaray fan but as a true lover of the Premier league the only team I have had sympathy for was Newcastle because of its fans, Alan Shearer, Bobby Robson and lately Emre :) .. I always thought that Newcastle were always capable of fighting with the top 4. But strange enough your club is struggling for reasons you better know than I do but the only thing which amazes me every time is that you guys underestimate yourselves and probably because of that you always bring in the wrong Manager. You have the crowd, enough funds, an above average goalkeeper and defence, nice midfield players and your forward players are of high quality you just are not lucky with Owen... but which team in Europe have the likes as Owen, Martins and Viduka? Even Smith is okay if he plays up front.

But Allardyce is really the wrong man. He thinks he is still managing Bolton and is praying for a draw even when he plays at derby or reading or wigan. Okay nowadays it is of course not always  possibe to play attacking football but what you are playing for the past 7 months is really a disgrace for a club with this much potential. Even if we look at the Chelsea game, the team was defending with 10 people and it was only by luck that it was only 1-1 till the 86th minute against a chelsea side missing all of its important players..

Well why I am writing under this topic is that Emre most probably will return to Galatasaray (probably on loan) and some negatiotans has been done and they are waiting for a reply from Newcastle according to several "reliable" turkish newspapars. I hope he will return because he would be immense important for us. For some reason Emre's performance at NUFC has actually been very disappointing imo.. in most of the games he doesn't take the responsibility and it is as if he doesn't play with his heart as he did with us, Inter and the turkish national side.. I think you have never seen the best of

emre's, perhaps that his his fault but imo it has also got to do with his managers who restrict his abilities.. but if not now you will see him play at Euro 2008. It is really a joke that the likes of Smith, Geremi and even Barton is playing in the midfield instead of Emre.. but not suprising given the fact that Allardye loves people who run run run and run but do nothing else..

Nobody is saying this, I said myself that long term he's probably not the answer.

But can you give me one good reason that Emre doesn't at least deserve a chance to start a few games and see what he can do given how absolutely dreadful our central midfield has been this season?

Emre seems more motivated when he comes off the bench, he rarely looks it when starting a game.

You could see him getting more and more annoyed with the tactics in the first half on Boxing  Day as the back four repeatedly launched the ball up to nowhere

Emre is never going to fit into Allardyce's preferred team or style where the 4-3-3 needs a single forward supported by two wide players. The three scufflers who make up the midfield don't need Emre's skill as the ball will be flying over their heads mostly in any case.

I'm following you guys for a while now but never written before so this actually my first post. I am a Galatasaray fan but as a true lover of the Premier league the only team I have had sympathy for was Newcastle because of its fans, Alan Shearer, Bobby Robson and lately Emre :) .. I always thought that Newcastle were always capable of fighting with the top 4. But strange enough your club is struggling for reasons you better know than I do but the only thing which amazes me every time is that you guys underestimate yourselves and probably because of that you always bring in the wrong Manager. You have the crowd, enough funds, an above average goalkeeper and defence, nice midfield players and your forward players are of high quality you just are not lucky with Owen... but which team in Europe have the likes as Owen, Martins and Viduka? Even Smith is okay if he plays up front.

But Allardyce is really the wrong man. He thinks he is still managing Bolton and is praying for a draw even when he plays at derby or reading or wigan. Okay nowadays it is of course not always  possibe to play attacking football but what you are playing for the past 7 months is really a disgrace for a club with this much potential. Even if we look at the Chelsea game, the team was defending with 10 people and it was only by luck that it was only 1-1 till the 86th minute against a chelsea side missing all of its important players..

Well why I am writing under this topic is that Emre most probably will return to Galatasaray (probably on loan) and some negatiotans has been done and they are waiting for a reply from Newcastle according to several "reliable" turkish newspapars. I hope he will return because he would be immense important for us. For some reason Emre's performance at NUFC has actually been very disappointing imo.. in most of the games he doesn't take the responsibility and it is as if he doesn't play with his heart as he did with us, Inter and the turkish national side.. I think you have never seen the best of

emre's, perhaps that his his fault but imo it has also got to do with his managers who restrict his abilities.. but if not now you will see him play at Euro 2008. It is really a joke that the likes of Smith, Geremi and even Barton is playing in the midfield instead of Emre.. but not suprising given the fact that Allardye loves people who run run run and run but do nothing else..

Hello birdhunter, welcome. You have hit the nail on the head with your first post. Emre is our best creative midfielder by a distance yet our managers over his time here have never given him the confidence and role he deserves. He was played alongside Parker with Parker supposed to provide the creative spark, which was not going to work for obvious reasons. Paired with Butt we have played some of our best football, because in that system both central midfielders know what their responsibilties are and play to their strentgths. I don't understand why everybody here seems to agree Emre is not fit for a 442, because he has proved he is in his time here. I do have to agree though that Emre looks better coming from the bench than starting a match, which may be a fitness issue you'd expect Sam to sort out. If he moves back to Galatasaray in Jan I hope you do get the best out of him, but even moreso I hope we get in a more consistent replacement who can be our playmaker, because I'm sick of our defensively minded cecntral midfield that doesn't add anything going forward and doesn't actually seem very good at protecting the defense either going by goals conceeded..

Emre is more effective when he plays against tiring players.

Fact is, we get more from Emre if he plays the last half an hour than we would get from him if he plays the first sixty minutes.

I would agree recently, but do you remember when he first joined us and was starting games? He was the heartbeat of the side and I'm sure he does still have the potential to do this.

Everyone is entitled to their views but we could put Emre in there or leave him out and it wouldn't make too much of a difference. Simple fact is that he's just a mid table player like the rest of them. Infact I was thinking about our central midfield the other day and we just seem to have a revolving door of midfielders that cost about £4-£6 million and don't improve the team, they are just average. Jenas, Dyer, Parker, Viana, Bowyer, Butt, Emre, Geremi, Smith and Barton for my mind are all middle of the table players. Look at that list and is it any wonder we've been a mid table team for the last few years when they are so average?

I'm not saying we should be getting world beaters but the simple fact is that none of those players are even fit to lace the boots of say Rob Lee and that is the quality we should be aiming for, even if it costs around £10 million or so.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

I think Emre has been saved for January tbh.  He's canny injury prone when you think about it, and we are losing x amount of players to the ACN.

Why do Smith and Geremi get countless chances to start games in the middle despite playing very poorly for the most part

Because Allardyce classes them as being better defensively, and not conceding a goal seems his number one priority.

Guest bobblyrage

Managers always pick the players they buy. Geremi, Smith & Barton are Sams' men, they'll always get more chances. It would undermine BS if Emre was starting ahead of 3 players he brought in.

Managers always pick the players they buy. Geremi, Smith & Barton are Sams' men, they'll always get more chances. It would undermine BS if Emre was starting ahead of 3 players he brought in.

Wish he'd apply that logic to Enrique.

Guest bobblyrage

Well he has a ready made excuse there, with him coming from a different league, admittedly this has started to wear very thin.

But if Enrique isnt featuring, Barton is in jail, and Geremi and Smith both dropped Ashley might  rightly wonder whether Sam should be given another bag of cash. A manger who wants to spend more money always has to prove hes not wasted it in the past, and starting Emre ahead of potentially THREE of his own signings would suggest (correctly IMO) he has.

Fact is, we get more from Emre if he plays the last half an hour than we would get from him if he plays the first sixty minutes.

I think you're basing this on games where we're usually chasing and in need of a winner, which is when Emre is usually used. It's only natural in such games that we're on the front foot more that he'd look better.

You said the same about Viduka, though, and in his next game he scored 1 goal in both halves, so let's hope Emre starts against City and does something similar!

He would be our best central midfielder, if used properly.

I think you're basing this on games where we're usually chasing and in need of a winner, which is when Emre is usually used. It's only natural in such games that we're on the front foot more that he'd look better.

You said the same about Viduka, though, and in his next game he scored 1 goal in both halves, so let's hope Emre starts against City and does something similar!

Something I agree with Janitor about.

There must be a reason why none of the managers since he came here have used him consistently in that central attacking role.

Because none of them have really utilised such a position? I'd also be weary of trusting the judgement of Souness and Roeder :lol:

Emre has looked at his best when partnered with Nicky Butt in a 4-4-2, I think that's generally accepted by most on here.

There's also his injuries, Allardyce's favourites/own signings and a plethora of other things to take into account as well.

I'm not totally relieving Emre of all blame, but I'm personally happier when he's on the team-sheet.

Something I agree with Janitor about.

Not sure what to make of that, personally... maybe I'm wrong about Emre after all :razz:

There must be a reason why none of the managers since he came here have used him consistently in that central attacking role.

Because none of them have really utilised such a position? I'd also be weary of trusting the judgement of Souness and Roeder :lol:

Emre has looked at his best when partnered with Nicky Butt in a 4-4-2, I think that's generally accepted by most on here.

There's also his injuries, Allardyce's favourites/own signings and a plethora of other things to take into account as well.

I'm not totally relieving Emre of all blame, but I'm personally happier when he's on the team-sheet.

Fair enough, all I'm getting at is that if it's so basic most of us can see it, it's bizarre that three managers (however rubbish they may be) cannot see it.

Fair enough, all I'm getting at is that if it's so basic most of us can see it, it's bizarre that three managers (however rubbish they may be) cannot see it.

It's an interesting angle, for sure. I do think he is overrated by many, especially when he's not playing (like Martins, Taylor and N'Zogbia have been at varying times), but from what I've seen of him he puts a lot of effort in, does a lot of closing down, has scored some very good/important goals for us from midfield (which Geremi and Smith certainly haven't done for us, at least) and has genuinely looked no worse than most of his direct competition for a starting place.

If anything, based on David James' recent column and Sam's previous comments about getting Emre "fitter so that he can perform to his right level over a longer period of time" I think he could be the main one who wouldn't be selected because of fitness more than form, under Allardyce at least.

Is he an attacking player tho? Whenever I see him he's always sat right back getting the ball from defenders and (ahem) "creating" from the halfway line. Like a shit Xabi Alonso. Has he got it in his locker to play further up. Cos he doesnt do it naturally from what i see.

Is he an attacking player tho? Whenever I see him he's always sat right back getting the ball from defenders and (ahem) "creating" from the halfway line. Like a shit Xabi Alonso. Has he got it in his locker to play further up. Cos he doesnt do it naturally from what i see.

No, I think you've probably called it right there.