Joey Barton is a very naughty boy. Discuss.

Fugazi

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/08/0330chewbacca.jpg

Cochran 

Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, Chef's attorney would certainly want you to believe that his client wrote "Stinky Britches" ten years ago. And they make a good case. Hell, I almost felt pity myself! But, ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

Gerald Broflovski 

Damn it!

Chef 

What?

Gerald 

He's using the Chewbacca Defense!

Cochran 

Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, [approaches and softens] does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.[1]

And still nothing on the official site. The only thing anyone at the club has said on the matter was Allardyce saying he was 'disappointed' in Joey. Shouldn't the club be sticking up for him? At least to try to protect their investment?

Why on earth should they stick up for the twerp?

There should maybe be some kind of statement on what is happening though.

And still nothing on the official site. The only thing anyone at the club has said on the matter was Allardyce saying he was 'disappointed' in Joey. Shouldn't the club be sticking up for him? At least to try to protect their investment?

being legally savvy i imagine mort will wait for the outcome of the FIRST trial before saying anything in public, i have to say though that the silence so far doesnt bode well for mr barton imo

good on em i say, cancel his contract, keep his registration incase anyone else wants to sign him, make an example of the daft bastard

Guest northwestmag1892

being legally savvy i imagine mort will wait for the outcome of the FIRST trial before saying anything in public, i have to say though that the silence so far doesnt bode well for mr barton imo

good on em i say, cancel his contract, keep his registration incase anyone else wants to sign him, make an example of the daft b******

Fully agree mate. Cancel the tw@ts contract and keep his documents.

good on em i say, cancel his contract, keep his registration incase anyone else wants to sign him, make an example of the daft b******

Fully agree mate. Cancel the tw@ts contract and keep his documents.

Potential for a restriction of trade case there unfortunately

Does anyone know how we legally stand in regards to sacking him?

Theres a similar ongoing case in the Finnish hockey league, where one of the most well-known players was arrested for his suspected involvement in a drugs ring, and so his club sacked him and the league have suspended him from playing. As he has also had his passport confiscated, playing abroad isnt an option.

Would like to think we can easily sack Barton for this, without any pay-off.

It would be worth £5m loss to sack him and hold his registration for 4-5 years and ruin his career. I'm sure if we asked nicely a few other clubs would chip in to settle some of the bill for us.

How can we sack him, i.e. cancel his contract, and hold his registration for 4-5 years exactly?

Chelsea did that to Mutu, and were fully supported by the FA and FIFA. Juventus had to fork out a transfer fee.

For 4-5 years? And he tested positive for a banned substance, i.e. cocaine.

Time really doesn't matter, they held onto it until Juve paid up, which they had to in the end whether they liked it or not. I think being imprisoned, not once but possibly twice could be enough to get the support of whoever we need to carry out such an extreme action, afterall they always bang on about footballers being role models, and i'm sure Sepp Blatter wants him jailed, us fined and English football cancelled for whats happened.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Affray

The offence of “affray” looks very similar to violent disorder. It is supposed to be reserved for serious cases involving the use or threat of violence.

Under Section 3, a person is guilty of affray if

a) he uses or threatens unlawful violence towards another, and

b) his conduct is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his personal safety.

Notes on Affray

Unlike riot and violent disorder the use or threat of violence by one person alone will suffice and no one else need take part other than the accused. Legal commentators, however, have contended that the offence should not be extended to cover every case of common assault as this was not intended by Parliament when the act was passed. Affray is a public order offence designed for the protection of the bystander and there are other offences – eg “assault causing actual bodily harm” - for the protection of persons at whom the violence is aimed.

Another significant difference from the other sections is that the threat of violence cannot be made by the use of words alone – either orally or in writing. There must be some act or gesture amounting to a threat of unlawful violence.

The prosecution must show – as with violent disorder - that you intended to use or threaten violence or were aware that your conduct might amount to violence or the threat of violence.

Arrest and Punishment

Affray is an “either way” offence and is punishable by up to 3 years imprisonment on indictment or up to 6 months imprisonment on summary conviction. It is therefore not an “arrestable offence”. But as with Sections 4, 4A and 5 it does carry a limited power of arrest: a constable may arrest anyone whom he reasonably suspects is committing an affray.

Assault Causing Actual Bodily Harm (ABH)

Assault causing actual bodily harm (ABH) is an offence under Section 47 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1847. Such an assault is a defined as an assault or battery, which in addition causes actual bodily harm. This need not be permanent or serious, but more than just a push or shove on a demo. There does not necessarily need to be a bruise or swelling if the victim is caused sufficient pain or discomfort.

Arrest and Punishment

ABH is an “either way” offence, which carries a maximum sentence of 5 years on indictment or 6 months summarily. It is therefore arrestable under Section 24 of PACE.

The police may often arrest you on suspicion of ABH or GBH where their arrest powers are otherwise insufficient – for example, after an assault has taken place – and then later drop the charge to common assault or battery.

Just thought people should know what he is being charged with

Hopefully this little stint inside will do him good, the undoubted class he has it would be a shame if he ruined his career being a nob!

When Tony Adams had a much longer stint inside it changed him alot, although Tony Adams wasn't a knob like old Joey!

Hopefully this little stint inside will do him good, the undoubted class he has it would be a shame if he ruined his career being a nob!

When Tony Adams had a much longer stint inside it changed him alot, although Tony Adams wasn't a knob like old Joey!

When is Van Poncey back?

Guest fraser

No, driving your car pissed-up into a wall and not actually killing anybody. That is a true role model.

Front page of the Sun tomorrow has a story on Barton crying in jail :lol:

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/2650/frontpagethursda413332aqn8.jpg

Shocking journalism.

Should have smuggled a camera phone inside and put the footage on You Tube

I know what you mean. Barton's never been an 'ace.'  ;D

Guest fraser

Who is the person/are the people that he's alleged to have assaulted?

Are they reliable?

More reliable than f****** Barton, certainly.

I think the CCTV isn't going to hel the little c***, either.

I'll put you with the 'Don't knows' then.