Joey Barton is a very naughty boy. Discuss.

Fugazi

For such a song and dance to be made of it is a joke, and I still stand by the comments I made earlier on this year that as we signed him knowing full well what had happened with Dabo, and played him after that tarts slapping match in Liverpool, we aren't really in a position to take the moral high ground over this one.

If we really did want to sack him we shouldn't have put him back in the team when he got out of jail after Christmas.

what you're missing is the fact that he hadn't been found guilty yet and that the finer details of the case hadn't yet came to light. the time to make a decision is after the court case, to do so before would've been foolish.

Guest Limpy

Just watched the clip, before i start i'll say Barton is a grade A dick and i don't condone what he has done in the slightest.

He hits the Bloke 20 times without reply, the lad gets up and comes back for more mouthing off but not hitting back? would you take that without hitting back? you either hit back or run in my book, not what he did. The 'Victim' knew who he was talking to and what he was doing. The pound signs were flashing in his face if you ask me, to think anything else is just naive. See worse in Town / Whitley Bay every week, and thats just the women.

Just watched the clip, before i start i'll say Barton is a grade A dick and i don't condone what he has done in the slightest.

He hits the Bloke 20 times without reply, the lad gets up and comes back for more mouthing off but not hitting back? would you take that without hitting back? you either hit back or run in my book, not what he did. The 'Victim' knew who he was talking to and what he was doing. The pound signs were flashing in his face if you ask me, to think anything else is just naive. See worse in Town / Whitley Bay every week, and thats just the women.

Cause it's the victims fault?  :lol:

Guest Daishi

Thing is - after the Mutu/Chelsea thing, if Newcastle sack him, surely a precedent has been set to recoup any potential transfer fee from Barton should he sign for another club.

Today's Sun is reporting we've already sacked him - though i've always got a pinch of salt handy when i read that rag.

Guest Limpy

It just looks suspicous, he keeps coming back, arguing with fists doesn't work, why not walk away? throw a punch yourself? looks like he's goading Barton. Like i say Bartons a Dick but he's been set up there if you ask me. Some crafty buggers out there you know, an aquatance of mine got the shit kicked out of him once just to get a sypathy shag out of girl, It worked to :lol:

Eh?

Guest Limpy

Eh?

Think about it, IM NOT DEFENDING BARTON the mans an assh*le but the victim isn't exactly defending himself or trying to put himself out of danger is he, why is that? Does he like being a punch bag? I doubt it? All im saying is it looks suspicious, if you can't see it maybe im just a little more negative about peoples motives than you are. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Joey could have woken up with a really bad head and some bloke after some cash to keep quiet about the previous night’s altercation.

There's a difference between an innocent victim and someone who is looking for trouble. This wasn't just some random bloke who happened to be passing.

Barton’s solicitor, Gwyn Lewis, said the 11-minute long incident was the result of a “great deal of provocation”.

He said: “Mr Barton was involved in an incident of which he is in no way proud.

“He was goaded. They recognised his face and he was an easy target for them.

“It is fair to say there was an enormous amount of provocation, although that is not a defence.”

Mr Lewis said the player was goaded because he did not sign for Everton FC this summer, over his playing abilities, and over the conviction of his half-brother Michael for the racist murder of Anthony Walker in 2005.

Mr Lewis said the final straw came when a girl in Barton’s group was assaulted in the street by a man.

He said: “That was the spark that lit the tinderbox and, there is no secret about it, he lost his temper.”

Of course we don't see the whole 11 minutes of CCTV or the bit where this bloke allegedly assaulted the girl.

Of course, noone is condoning his reaction, but some of you must have lived very sheltered lives if this footage has made you think worse of Barton after knowing he was sentenced to 6 months in prison for the incident. What were you expecting? I expected it to be much worse than that tbh, Barton got a couple of decent hits in and the rest was nothing. If we locked everyone up who got involved in a bit of a scrap like this, we'd have to build up Hadrian's wall and use Scotland as one big open prison. Dozens of incidents worse than this happen in every city in the country every weekend.

I really can't believe the girl got a suspended sentence for throwing a few chips at the bloke.

I'd love to give that girl a kicking too, hate women like that.

:rolleyes:

wasn't there a post on an everton board that night  with someone saying they'd seen him about 10pm and the ammount of stick he was taking was ridiculous. no excuse but understandable. should have walked away after decking him the first time.

Thing is - after the Mutu/Chelsea thing, if Newcastle sack him, surely a precedent has been set to recoup any potential transfer fee from Barton should he sign for another club.

Today's Sun is reporting we've already sacked him - though i've always got a pinch of salt handy when i read that rag.

Not really.

Mutu took drugs whilst under contract with Chelsea. We signed Barton after he'd already assaulted Dabo.

2 very different sets of circumstances.

wasn't there a post on an everton board that night  with someone saying they'd seen him about 10pm and the ammount of stick he was taking was ridiculous. no excuse but understandable. should have walked away after decking him the first time.

was gonna post that from the CCTV he looked like someone who'd just lost it and saw red, then came back to read the whole thing lasted 11 minutes!!!

big difference between going bonkers for a minute and an incident lasting that long to me

In that case, you cut your losses for the night and go home. Comes with the territory.

Guest nufc_geordie

There's a difference between an innocent victim and someone who is looking for trouble. This wasn't just some random bloke who happened to be passing.

Bartons solicitor, Gwyn Lewis, said the 11-minute long incident was the result of a great deal of provocation.

He said: Mr Barton was involved in an incident of which he is in no way proud.

He was goaded. They recognised his face and he was an easy target for them.

It is fair to say there was an enormous amount of provocation, although that is not a defence.

Mr Lewis said the player was goaded because he did not sign for Everton FC this summer, over his playing abilities, and over the conviction of his half-brother Michael for the racist murder of Anthony Walker in 2005.

Mr Lewis said the final straw came when a girl in Bartons group was assaulted in the street by a man.

He said: That was the spark that lit the tinderbox and, there is no secret about it, he lost his temper.

Of course we don't see the whole 11 minutes of CCTV or the bit where this bloke allegedly assaulted the girl.

Of course, noone is condoning his reaction, but some of you must have lived very sheltered lives if this footage has made you think worse of Barton after knowing he was sentenced to 6 months in prison for the incident. What were you expecting? I expected it to be much worse than that tbh, Barton got a couple of decent hits in and the rest was nothing. If we locked everyone up who got involved in a bit of a scrap like this, we'd have to build up Hadrian's wall and use Scotland as one big open prison. Dozens of incidents worse than this happen in every city in the country every weekend.

I really can't believe the girl got a suspended sentence for throwing a few chips at the bloke.

I'd love to give that girl a kicking too, hate women like that.

:rolleyes:

I agree mate. There seems to be an awful lot of people who were applauding him and singing his name at the end of last season developed changed opinions of him now. Nothing has changed, infact after seeing the footage it's nothing like I thought. Still don't condone but let's just get on with it, let him have his punishment and get back to playing football. We knew what we had signed in the first place.

Not really.

Mutu took drugs whilst under contract with Chelsea. We signed Barton after he'd already assaulted Dabo.

he was imprisoned for the leverpool city centre attack not the dabe one . as such we didn't know that one was coming .

Not really.

aye but he did the new year thing after he signed for us though, so the same principal applies?  that was what he's sitting in clink for now isn't it?

Barton’s solicitor, Gwyn Lewis, said the 11-minute long incident was the result of a “great deal of provocation”.

He said: “Mr Barton was involved in an incident of which he is in no way proud.

“He was goaded. They recognised his face and he was an easy target for them.

“It is fair to say there was an enormous amount of provocation, although that is not a defence.”

Mr Lewis said the final straw came when a girl in Barton’s group was assaulted in the street by a man.

He said: “That was the spark that lit the tinderbox and, there is no secret about it, he lost his temper.”

those are quotes from before the trial and wrong. it now turns out the bloke he started on made an 'obscene gesture' towards the girl in his group and barton went for him, so it's not like this one bloke had subjected him to a constant barrage of verbal abuse. the 2nd victim, a 16 year old, WAS a passer by, that Barton mistakenly believed had assaulted the girl he was with.

Not really.

he was imprisoned for the leverpool city centre attack not the dabe one . as such we didn't know that one was coming .

Yes, and we could sack him for that one for sure but the Dabo incident is the one currently in the news so I assumed (Perhaps wrongly) that people were talking about taking action over that one.

The McDonalds incident is old news now and was discussed to death at the time.