Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/12/07 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Owen coming on for Martins has killed the game for us, if Owen plays it has to be in a 4-4-2.

Surely everyone must see that's where we handed them over the initiative?

correct.

What handed the initiative was putting Owen on by himself. The Duff/Viduka substitution should have been made at the same time.

Aye, that's what I meant. If he was coming on, it had to be in a 4-4-2 with Viduka/Martins alongside.

didnt change when viduka came on, needed the pace, pressing and wide movement from martins to keep them on their toes. soon as he went off the game changed.

He's shit Jonny. Loads of people on here told me.

I'm actually angry at the fact that it took Allardyce THAT long to realise that Zoggy is an LW.

Ironically he did f*** all when he become a LW.

mackems.gif

He put the cross in while playing in the midfield.

I'm actually angry at the fact that it took Allardyce THAT long to realise that Zoggy is an LW.

It was when Martins was taken off and our wonderous manager ridiculously decided to play for a draw, actually.

Just to add my tuppence worth about the goal, Kalou was even offside when the first shot came in, never mind the four yards he was off when it was deflected.

All in all a better battling performance, but the loss was fairly inevitable giving that our goal was our only shot on target.

Managed to catch it from about 60 minutes, just after our goal. We were playing so well aswell. Sam's substitutions effectively lost us the game (and, on the whole, i'm a big fan of Sam) but that was an utterly disgraceful non-decision for Chelsea's winner. Disgraceful.

Owen coming on for Martins has killed the game for us, if Owen plays it has to be in a 4-4-2.

Surely everyone must see that's where we handed them over the initiative?

correct.

What handed the initiative was putting Owen on by himself. The Duff/Viduka substitution should have been made at the same time.

Aye, that's what I meant. If he was coming on, it had to be in a 4-4-2 with Viduka/Martins alongside.

didnt change when viduka came on, needed the pace, pressing and wide movement from martins to keep them on their toes. soon as he went off the game changed.

Viduka would have held the ball up though, which could have been equally as vital/effective as Martins' pace. More than one way to skin a cat, etc.

Owen offers neither searing pace or the ability to hold the ball up, it was baffling.

Guest Knightrider

It was when Martins was taken off and our wonderous manager ridiculously decided to play for a draw, actually.

Owen was a positive move. Martins was poor.

We didn't lose because of that move.

agree with that.

Just to add my tuppence worth about the goal, Kalou was even offside when the first shot came in, never mind the four yards he was off when it was deflected.

That's exactly what i said! Not a clue, not a CLUE what the linesman was doing.

SO SO SO SO SO SO SO PISSED OFF!!!!He was at least 5 yards offside!Was saying as well hate that cunting big nose Mike Reily always gives the desicons to the Chelseas and Man utds!!Should never have taken off Oba!But in saying that hats off the lads,deserved at least the draw!Faye was outstanding,everyone was except for Milner was poor enough,Zogs defending but was good going forward,Smith wasn great and we played way better when he was subbed!Cacapa was very good I thought as well!AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :weep:

If you genuinely believe that and aren't just trying to defend the gaffer, then you were watching a different game to me.

I don't even rate Oba that highly and I've defended Allardyce to the hilt as well, so there's no agendas here.

We needed two strikers on the pitch. He'd just brought on his fourth centre-back, and then just did a like for like swap upfront. He might aswell have just kept Martins on cos Owen is absolutely lost on his own. I only saw it from 60 minutes, but Martins actually did one or two good things, so nearly slipped Duff in. Me and me dad were absolutely aghast with the subs.

The linesman must not have seen who the ball rebounded off, as there were so many bodies in the box.

Good performance, but surely this is just a repitition of the Souness and Roeder era's? Shit against shit opposition, good against top opposition because the players motivate themselves. That can be the only explanation as to why the side weve just seen today has been so dumbfoundedly useless against mid table and relegation standard opposition.

That's exactly what i said! Not a clue, not a CLUE what the linesman was doing.

Clearly checking his betting slip tbh.

At the time, him and duff had temporarily switched actually.

Duff had f***** off altogether. Charlie was running the left side himself second half, forward and back.

Yeah, but there definetly was a period when the two had switched, which allowed Zoggy to get to the line and get the cross in, which is a sight i dearly missed.

At the time, him and duff had temporarily switched actually.

Duff had fucked off altogether. Charlie was running the left side himself second half, forward and back.

Fucking hell man Wull, go and have a cold shower!

James is right, actually, it looked to me like Duff and N'Zogbia had switched.