Are people ready for the erm...5 year plan?

Parky

if Sam gets the sack any new guy will say he will need time to put things right.         

he will also have a 5 year plan

Hope not - we'll all be dead by 2011 (or two years earlier if I'm in charge)

shit..that's all we need,another doomsdayite fundamentalist.

shit language that puts "fun" in "fundamentalism" (almost gets off with it by putting "mentalism" in there)

5 years is waaaaaay too long.

Keegan was here 5 years, look where we were when he came, look where we were when he left.

Look at Robson's 5 years

And Allardyce reckons he needs 5 years to turn us around? Bollocks! All he needs to do is play a proper formation with the right players in the right positions, so that the players actually have a clue what they're doing. And preferably playing football on the floor.

A good article related to this subject:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article3111359.ece

From The Times

December 31, 2007

Sam Allardyce left out on a limb

Oliver Kay

“You’re either not worried about playing for this club or not worried about me. Which is it?”

(Sam Allardyce, attributed, December 2007) Whether he asked that question outright or merely hinted at it, Big Sam knows the answer. Footballers do not worry about their manager, at least not in times of adversity.

A handful of top coaches are able to cajole total commitment and unstinting devotion out of their players when things are going in their favour – and Allardyce achieved something along these lines at Bolton Wanderers – but for the vast majority, respect and empathy are the last things they would expect.

Players are in it for themselves. Even Sir Alex Ferguson hinted as much yesterday when he talked of “this personal glory” thing that they are after, of “the need to be seen” and of goal celebrations that are about “personal gratification” rather than a desire to share the moment with teammates. Football is a team game, but one in which increasingly the common goal is one of individual, rather than collective glory. And when glory seems so distant as a team fall short of their aspirations, often the only thing a group of players have in common is a shared lack of respect for, and belief in, their manager.

Allardyce appears to be faced with such a culture at Newcastle United and it is alien to him. At Bolton, he and his staff were able to impose a philosophy on a squad that was built slowly over his eight seasons in charge as the team went from the lower reaches of what was the Nationwide League first division to the upper echelons of the Premier League.

This was not only a triumph of tactics or organisation, but of the ideas and team ethic that Allardyce and his staff imposed. To be shown around their training ground at Euxton and to be talked through the thinking behind the computer hub, the layout of the gym and even the colour scheme on the walls was like a psychology or a sports science field trip.

These ideas were not implemented overnight. Those who were expecting a revolution at Newcastle might have been disappointed and, more worryingly, several senior players are known to have issues with his methods, but Allardyce did not expect instant success.

Upon taking over at Bolton, he won only four of his first 13 league matches, including a miserable sequence of two points from six matches, during which some of the senior players he inherited said privately that the team were in turmoil and that Bolton should have stuck with Phil Brown, who had excelled as caretaker manager. By the end of the season they had reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup, the League Cup and the first division play-offs and the evolution – note, not revolution – that took them to the top flight was well under way.

None of this offers any guarantee that Allardyce will succeed at St James’ Park, but Newcastle are a club in need of root-and-branch reform of the type that he and his staff imposed at Bolton. Yes, they challenged for the title under Kevin Keegan in the mid1990s and had some great nights in the Champions League under Bobby Robson in 2003 (both at a time when Newcastle were among the biggest spenders in English football), but the club have finished in the bottom half of the table in six of the past ten seasons, often flirting a little too brazenly with relegation.

Under Glenn Roeder last season, playing a brand of football best described as nondescript, they won only 11 league matches. Under Graeme Souness two years earlier, it was one fewer. When Newcastle’s supporters sing “We’re s*** and we’re sick of it”, you can detect a malaise that goes rather deeper than a difficult first few months under Allardyce.

As for the players, perhaps they would welcome a change of manager, given that they are said to have little appetite for Allardyce’s methods. But just suppose that the manager is not the problem. Just suppose that there is something rotten at the club, something that even successive changes of manager and ownership have not yet exorcised. Just suppose that Allardyce, in the long term, represents their best chance of ridding the club of the malodorous team spirit that is perceptible to even the most distant outsider.

Given time, he probably will. But the fear is that he will not. And will those players shed a tear? Of course not. And will they look within themselves? Again, the answer is no.

Five year plan? Stalin had two five year plans, one starting in 1928, and one starting in 1938. Starved half the population to death, but it was successful at the end. Sorta like Big Sam I think. We can call him Big Stalin Allardyce from now onwards, we (the fans) will be starved to death (with horrid performances), but at the end of the five year plan we WILL become a succesful club, so stick by Big Sam and his five year plan. I'm definately in for it.

I'm willing to be patient if it means long term success, but the problem I have is that the reason we are losing some of these games isn't down to things like not having a good enough squad, needing to work on fitness, moulding the team etc.  There are games we have had every right to win.  Now you don't always win the games you have a right to, but the way we've gone into some of them has not even given us a fighting chance.  There's a difference between not beating a team because we're just not there yet, we're in a transitional phase, we don't have the players to give them a decent game etc and not winning a game because we didn't utilise what was available to us in the slightest.

It's easy to look at a list of results and say that they're fine because you'd expect not to win these games when we're starting a "five year plan".  I'd never go into Liverpool at home thinking we should take the points even at the hight of the Keegan years.  But what catches in the throat is not the zero points but the squandered potential in the manner we achieved them and the fact it had little to do with the understandable handicap of our 'rebuilding' effort.

5 years is waaaaaay too long.

Keegan was here 5 years, look where we were when he came, look where we were when he left.

Look at Robson's 5 years

And Allardyce reckons he needs 5 years to turn us around? Bollocks! All he needs to do is play a proper formation with the right players in the right positions, so that the players actually have a clue what they're doing. And preferably playing football on the floor.

If he is saying that in 5 years, the club will have solid foundations in terms of structure, youth policy, scouting policy, training etc then yes, I am fine with it.

I am not sure that Keegan left the club as a whole in a healthy state. Yes, our first team was fantastic, and our profile as a club had gone through the roof, but I am not sure he left our youth and reserve teams in any kind of position to make the club successful for the years ahead.

We have to have the ability to bring through local kids instead of just buying buying buying so if Sam thinks he is capable of doing this to our club then he has my 100% support.

For now though, I just want to see some commense sense in the first team selection otherwise I wouldnt hold out too much hope about what state the club is actually going to be left in.

Guest microbar

Five year of fat sam god help us

Hope you are all looking forward to the conference league,

Thats were we will end up after five year with the fat one. ;D