Martin O'Neill

Tooj

Guest teepee

Average manager.

Playing counter attacking footie with fast forwards and a solid defence.

Two things we haven't got.

Not rocket science.

Has money and I expect them to finish the season well.

Good luck to him at least he isn't boring.

Moyes, MON and Sammy Dice are all the same level.

they don't come much faster than martins tbh

[Plural/].

what do you mean - it isnt as if carew possesses super speed..... and owen still isn't excactly slow

Average manager.

Not rocket science.

they don't come much faster than martins tbh

[Plural/].

what do you mean - it isnt as if carew possesses super speed..... and owen still isn't excactly slow

...keep the thinking cap on a few more mins.

Guest teepee

i know that young is pacy and we dont have a solid defence, that aside i don't get your point, unless it is a time-wasting dig at my english....

but hey, let me know when you care to enlighten me :D

i know that young is pacy and we dont have a solid defence, that aside i don't get your point, unless it is a time-wasting dig at my english....

They break with Young, Agba, Moore ie there is normally more than one with pace on the break.

Agree with that, he's just the flavour of the month at the moment, like Redknapp and Hughes have been at different points this season.

That's not to take anything away from him, he's done well and is on a decent run, lets not get carried away though.

He's an excellent manager, there's something inspirational about him and he gets the best out of his players. Villa are good to watch this season and his signings have been generally very good. I've always liked the way he jumps about like a madman and i could not understand why some fans were turning their noses up at the possibility of him becoming manager at the time.

Guest teepee

They break with Young, Agba, Moore ie there is normally more than one with pace on the break.

alright, then i follow. but if we played with duff/zoggy on the left and milner on the right we could look much the same i suppose. there isn't much difference between oba/zoggy and abo/young - imo oba/zoggy have the potential to be much better in fact.... so it is a matter of style, not players i think

He's hardly average. Limited perhaps but he's done a good job at every club he's been at so far at a variety of different levels. He's a cut above the vast majority of managers.

He's doing really well this season like, Villa look quality.

He struggled for a while last season though didn't he? Can't remember specifics except a long winless run, where did they finish?

11th.

Half the season with the relegation-bound squad O'Leary left him, though. We were the last team to be beaten across all leagues at the start of the season, had a bad run in the middle, then finished with a 9 match unbeaten run.

All managers have bad runs, though.

i was going to pm you this actually.

can you see any similiarities with us and you last year? i.e did your fans have a period where they didnt like MON (maybe on the winless run?) or have you always been behind him.

i think you underwent a similar mass change to us last year (board change, coach change, player change) and i can honestly see us doing what you have this year and kicking on next season.

thoughts?

Yes, there are definite similarities. We went through something last year very similar to what you are going through. Also don't forget the fact that, like us, you have also gone through a regime change - everything at the club will be changing this season, from top to bottom. That might not effect things on the pitch directly but nonetheless, the whole club will be in flux.

We had quite a lot of moaning, too. Don't forget, in our piss poor patch, we were flirting with relegation spots. Anyone would moan in that situation. The argument that kept coming up, though, was that we'd moaned for years that the club was a fucked up basket case under Ellis, and that nothing - nothing - was right there, so it shouldn't have been a surprise that things didn't go exactly to plan in the first year.

We also had weird tactical fuck ups, the team booed off the pitch at half time, MON's team selections which bemused everyone, but for better or worse, you just have to put your trust in the manager to get it right over time - you just have to give him that time to succeed or fail.

Get shot of him now and he can justifiably say that he didn't get time. Give him time and if he still fucks up, then get rid of him, but not before.

He's hardly average. Limited perhaps but he's done a good job at every club he's been at so far at a variety of different levels. He's a cut above the vast majority of managers.

Ok he's barely average.  bluerazz.gif

Your definition of average is different to mine then.

He struggled for a while last season though didn't he? Can't remember specifics except a long winless run, where did they finish?

11th.

Half the season with the relegation-bound squad O'Leary left him, though. We were the last team to be beaten across all leagues at the start of the season, had a bad run in the middle, then finished with a 9 match unbeaten run.

can you see any similiarities with us and you last year? i.e did your fans have a period where they didnt like MON (maybe on the winless run?) or have you always been behind him.

i think you underwent a similar mass change to us last year (board change, coach change, player change) and i can honestly see us doing what you have this year and kicking on next season.

thoughts?

Yes, there are definite similarities. We went through something last year very similar to what you are going through. Also don't forget the fact that, like us, you have also gone through a regime change - everything at the club will be changing this season, from top to bottom. That might not effect things on the pitch directly but nonetheless, the whole club will be in flux.

We had quite a lot of moaning, too. Don't forget, in our piss poor patch, we were flirting with relegation spots. Anyone would moan in that situation. The argument that kept coming up, though, was that we'd moaned for years that the club was a fucked up basket case under Ellis, and that nothing - nothing - was right there, so it shouldn't have been a surprise that things didn't go exactly to plan in the first year.

We also had weird tactical fuck ups, the team booed off the pitch at half time, MON's team selections which bemused everyone, but for better or worse, you just have to put your trust in the manager to get it right over time - you just have to give him that time to succeed or fail.

Get shot of him now and he can justifiably say that he didn't get time. Give him time and if he still fucks up, then get rid of him, but not before.

Straight from the horses mouth, thanks for that brummie  :thup:

Your definition of average is different to mine then.

Without getting into a pedantorama...

Wenger, Mourinho, Fergy, Capello..Excellent

Sven, Ramos, Benitez...Good

SA, MON, Moyes, The Vampire...Average.

I wish some of our support would have a look at MON at Villa and realise that there are stark similarities between his time there and whats currently happening at our club. I remember Villa going through a torid time at one stage last season, no wins in 12? Well what is certain is that Villa were no great shakes last season, partly due to MON inheriting a poor squad low on morale (sound familar anyone?),  and that it took a full season to stabalise the ship before showing real signs of progress and improvment in his second season.

One look at MON's career so far at Villa should provide us with a template for SA'a time here, i.e. 1st season STABLEISE! bottom half finish would not be end of world and result in public hanging/flogging of Sam and his players. 2nd season - evdience would proint to marked improvement and PROGRESS! Stick by the manager. I know it isnt good to watch right now but he has to be given a season at the very least. If anyone has to go it should be players who have consistantly UNDERPERFROMED under successive managers now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Where are the stark similarities between Allardyce's start here and O'Niels at Villa?  Both being in there first season at a new club with new owners is the only real similarity that stands out to me.  One difference that immediately stands out is that O'Niel actually improved the team in his first season, finishing five places higher then they'd finished the season before.  Allardyce will be very lucky to finish in the same position as we finished under Roeder, probably lower.

See the Villa fans post mate. Basically i think the place NUFC found themselves in at the start of this season (new ownership, manager, coaching staff etc etc) is strikingly similar to where Villa' found themselves at the start of last season. And to be fair, this seasons EPL is a FAR tougher league than probably ever before, so comparing MON's efforts in last year's EPL is somewhat unfair.

Ditto. I think anyone with a brain can see sacking him now is nonsense.

It won't stop people pissing and moaning - we're all anxious to see visible signs of progress on the field, and patience is running low - especially in light of the past four years or so. But I do people can grasp hold of the basic truth that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Guest Knightrider

Prefer Big Sam but MON is clearly a decent manager doing a decent job.

Wouldn't have survived his first season here though if we finished where Villa did and he did some of the things Brummie talked about, i.e. fucked up tactics, inconsistent performances, fans booing decisions, playing players out of position etc. etc.

11th.

thoughts?

We had quite a lot of moaning, too. Don't forget, in our piss poor patch, we were flirting with relegation spots. Anyone would moan in that situation. The argument that kept coming up, though, was that we'd moaned for years that the club was a f***** up basket case under Ellis, and that nothing - nothing - was right there, so it shouldn't have been a surprise that things didn't go exactly to plan in the first year.

We also had weird tactical f*** ups, the team booed off the pitch at half time, MON's team selections which bemused everyone, but for better or worse, you just have to put your trust in the manager to get it right over time - you just have to give him that time to succeed or fail.

i was hoping your reply would read like that! O0

its heartening to know you went thorugh this shit last year, and i am strongly of the opinion we stick with sam and ride it out.

the similarities are uncanny, dodgy selections, tactics etc.

cheers brummie O0

11th.

thoughts?

We had quite a lot of moaning, too. Don't forget, in our piss poor patch, we were flirting with relegation spots. Anyone would moan in that situation. The argument that kept coming up, though, was that we'd moaned for years that the club was a f***** up basket case under Ellis, and that nothing - nothing - was right there, so it shouldn't have been a surprise that things didn't go exactly to plan in the first year.

We also had weird tactical f*** ups, the team booed off the pitch at half time, MON's team selections which bemused everyone, but for better or worse, you just have to put your trust in the manager to get it right over time - you just have to give him that time to succeed or fail.

its heartening to know you went thorugh this shit last year, and i am strongly of the opinion we stick with sam and ride it out.

cheers brummie O0

One chink in that theory being that in key positons their players are better/not perpetually injured... than ours.

Average manager.

Not rocket science.

This HAS to be a wind-up - MON is streets ahead of Allardyce.

Average manager.

Not rocket science.

This HAS to be a wind-up - MON is streets ahead of Allardyce.

Expand?

11th.

thoughts?

its heartening to know you went thorugh this s*** last year, and i am strongly of the opinion we stick with sam and ride it out.

cheers brummie O0

One chink in that theory being that in key positons their players are better/not perpetually injured... than ours.

such as?