Martin O'Neill

Tooj

Guest kingdawson

Is he still as bad and overrated as everyone was making out at the end of last season?  :rolleyes:

Spot on mate. O'Neill is a very good manager and probably one of the most likeable managers too.

Both Moyes and MON would have been sacked here due to fan pressure.

I think that's a fair point. The two managers that i always 'compare' Allardyce to, looking into the future, are these two. With their respective clubs, they've taken them to a very high level (or will do in O'Neill's case). And it's taken a good while for them to do that, to take them above their station and beyond. I believe Sam will do the same thing with us.

I can remember Everton being bottom of the Premier League after about ten games, out of the CL in the qualifying round, and thoroughly bummed in the first round of the Waffa - the season after they finished fourth (fourth!). And yet, they bounced back to a reasonable finish, and they'll probably finish 5th/6th again this season.

I know i'm merely repeating what people have said - the reasons to stick by Allardyce rarely differ. Patience is a virtue.

Agree with both posts here.

This season has been rocky but we all knew that was going to happen after roeder departed, best just have faith and patience. Whichever way you look at it, to call it a crisis is utterly laughable.

Guest Stephen927

You look at a team like Everton, and the main crux of their team have been together for a canny few seasons, Arteta, Neville, Cahill, Yobo, many more to name. They know each other inside out, and every season there's one or two signings, a few going out, nothing too major so that the main understanding of the team isn't lost.

We're in a situation where we've signed many new players, who have ltitle understanding of each others play.

You look at a team like Everton, and the main crux of their team have been together for a canny few seasons, Arteta, Neville, Cahill, Yobo, many more to name. They know each other inside out, and every season there's one or two signings, a few going out, nothing too major so that the main understanding of the team isn't lost.

We're in a situation where we've signed many new players, who have ltitle understanding of each others play.

We're also in a situation where even established first teamers are being played out of position (for whatever reason) and surely that has a destabilising effect upon the team? If Sam is given time to settle things down a bit more, allow players to build mutual understanding then maybe we'll be onto something...

Yep, this is one of the main reasons. :thup: :thup:

03/04 our 'crux' was: Woodgate, Speed, Jenas, Robert, Shearer

04/05: Bramble, Bowyer, Jenas, Shearer

05/06: Bramble, Parker, Solano, N'Zogbia, Shearer

06/07: Taylor, Parker, Sibierski, Martins

Roughly speaking. Nonetheless, completely different each season.

Well pointed out, Stephen.

He's doing really well this season like, Villa look quality.

He struggled for a while last season though didn't he? Can't remember specifics except a long winless run, where did they finish?

11th.

Half the season with the relegation-bound squad O'Leary left him, though. We were the last team to be beaten across all leagues at the start of the season, had a bad run in the middle, then finished with a 9 match unbeaten run.

All managers have bad runs, though.

i was going to pm you this actually.

can you see any similiarities with us and you last year? i.e did your fans have a period where they didnt like MON (maybe on the winless run?) or have you always been behind him.

i think you underwent a similar mass change to us last year (board change, coach change, player change) and i can honestly see us doing what you have this year and kicking on next season.

thoughts?

Is he still as bad and overrated as everyone was making out at the end of last season?  :rolleyes:

Been thinking about this myself Jonny. Glad he's doing well personally, proper manager at a proper club.

Been thinking about this myself Jonny. Glad he's doing well personally, proper manager at a proper club.

Is that some sort of Souness reference?

Ditto mate, always been a fan of him as a manager and he seems like a really genuine bloke.

Apart from having some form of mental breakdown during the last WC mind when he was on BBC.  :lol:

With every club that he has managed, O'Neill has taken them forward. I'm pretty sure he'd have done the same with us.

Incidentally, in his first season at Leicester, a large number of fans were calling for him to be sacked. Then he got them promotion, two League Cups and their highest ever League position.

I wish some of our support would have a look at MON at Villa and realise that there are stark similarities between his time there and whats currently happening at our club. I remember Villa going through a torid time at one stage last season, no wins in 12? Well what is certain is that Villa were no great shakes last season, partly due to MON inheriting a poor squad low on morale (sound familar anyone?),  and that it took a full season to stabalise the ship before showing real signs of progress and improvment in his second season.

One look at MON's career so far at Villa should provide us with a template for SA'a time here, i.e. 1st season STABLEISE! bottom half finish would not be end of world and result in public hanging/flogging of Sam and his players. 2nd season - evdience would proint to marked improvement and PROGRESS! Stick by the manager. I know it isnt good to watch right now but he has to be given a season at the very least. If anyone has to go it should be players who have consistantly UNDERPERFROMED under successive managers now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Where are the stark similarities between Allardyce's start here and O'Niels at Villa?  Both being in there first season at a new club with new owners is the only real similarity that stands out to me.  One difference that immediately stands out is that O'Niel actually improved the team in his first season, finishing five places higher then they'd finished the season before.  Allardyce will be very lucky to finish in the same position as we finished under Roeder, probably lower.

Lots of straw grasping here.

MON took Villa forward, got them organised defensively and looking somewhat threatening in attack. They also had 2 long unbeaten runs.

Moyes had some yo-yo seasons with Everton. Thing is: He actually achieved some success.. infact he over-achieved with Everton when they finished 4th. The next season was bad but they had a good season the next. If that season was bad he probably would've been sacked. Since then they've got better year-on-year.

Average manager.

Playing counter attacking footie with fast forwards and a solid defence.

Two things we haven't got.

Not rocket science.

Has money and I expect them to finish the season well.

Good luck to him at least he isn't boring.

Moyes, MON and Sammy Dice are all the same level.

Straw-grabbing or otherwise, the fact remains that there are loads of decent teams in the second tier of the Premier League now (City*, Villa, Portsmouth, Everton, Blackburn, Spurs).

Finishing above any of those is a big task IMO, and would only put us in the top half of the table.

* - sorry Speccy, you're not that good just yet. ;)

Average manager.

Not rocket science.

That been on your clipboard for almost three hours? :laugh:

;)

Average manager.

Not rocket science.

:laugh:

Average manager.

Not rocket science.

:laugh:

mackems.gif

Straw-grabbing or otherwise, the fact remains that there are loads of decent teams in the second tier of the Premier League now (City*, Villa, Portsmouth, Everton, Blackburn, Spurs).

Finishing above any of those is a big task IMO, and would only put us in the top half of the table.

* - sorry Speccy, you're not that good just yet. ;)

Never mind Man City, Villa, Portsmouth ect..  We'll be lucky to finish above Reading and Boro.

Guest teepee

Average manager.

Not rocket science.

they don't come much faster than martins tbh

Average manager.

Not rocket science.

they don't come much faster than martins tbh

[Plural/].