Martin O'Neill

Tooj

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Is he still as bad and overrated as everyone was making out at the end of last season?  :rolleyes:

Or Moyes 3 years ago.

I like him personally. To think the likes of him and Sven were available when Roeder was appointed full-time. I mentioned this then before I get accused of employing hindsight too :p

Villa are doing okay now,  but he is still as fkn annoying as ever though!!

He's not annoying, he's ace. When he's your manager, I mean, I imagine otherwise it could be irritating. I love his enthusiasm in the technical area, light years away from that impassive pug-nosed waste of skin O'Leary.

As someone else on here pointed out, though, Sky and the BBC have developed this tendency to show his reaction EVERY time we score, and intersperse all our games with shots of him jumping around like a monkey on speed during the match.

He's mental, and he does some infuriating things (Marlon, Zat), but the positives massively, massively outweigh the negatives, and I fucking love him.

I just wish he'd be more relaxed about spending the money he has got.

I like him personally. To think the likes of him and Sven were available when Roeder was appointed full-time. I mentioned this then before I get accused of employing hindsight too :p

Aye I was behind the employment of O'Neill at the time.

Who knows what went on though behind the scenes?

Alex put that tongue away lad as well, not something I want to be thinking about right now in the state I'm in is your tongue technique lad.  O0

I have seen different programs with players that have played under O´Neill and he seems to be a quite stranage manager.

Don´t train at all. announce the team 1h-30 min before the games. got a unbelievable temper!

I have seen different programs with players that have played under O´Neill and he seems to be a quite stranage manager.

Don´t train at all. announce the team 1h-30 min before the games. got a unbelievable temper!

MON only does training on a Thursday (usually), Steve Walford and John Robertson handle the day to day training.

He's doing really well this season like, Villa look quality.

He struggled for a while last season though didn't he? Can't remember specifics except a long winless run, where did they finish?

Villa are doing okay now,  but he is still as fkn annoying as ever though!!

He's not annoying, he's ace. When he's your manager, I mean, I imagine otherwise it could be irritating. I love his enthusiasm in the technical area, light years away from that impassive pug-nosed waste of skin O'Leary.

As someone else on here pointed out, though, Sky and the BBC have developed this tendency to show his reaction EVERY time we score, and intersperse all our games with shots of him jumping around like a monkey on speed during the match.

He's mental, and he does some infuriating things (Marlon, Zat), but the positives massively, massively outweigh the negatives, and I f****** love him.

I just wish he'd be more relaxed about spending the money he has got.

Sorry but I do find him very irritating indeed but not the most annoying manager in the Prem but still annoying non the less.

He struggled for a while last season though didn't he? Can't remember specifics except a long winless run, where did they finish?

11th.

Half the season with the relegation-bound squad O'Leary left him, though. We were the last team to be beaten across all leagues at the start of the season, had a bad run in the middle, then finished with a 9 match unbeaten run.

All managers have bad runs, though.

Guest teepee

11th.

Half the season with the relegation-bound squad O'Leary left him, though. We were the last team to be beaten across all leagues at the start of the season, had a bad run in the middle, then finished with a 9 match unbeaten run.

All managers have bad runs, though.

yep - bad runs happens to all managers - especially of mediocre team like both of ours

as for mon - decent manager it seems, but imo he still haven't proven much. scotland doesnt count in my book. but much better for villa than o'dreary

as for mon - decent manager it seems, but imo he still haven't proven much.

I'm aware of this line of argument, and there is some validity in it, but to be honest, I don't really care what he has done in the past, just what he is doing at the moment.

Maybe we will say the same about Sam this time next year?

Amen brother, AMEN!

Exactly, if we  hang tight and shut the hell up whinging for a while we'll have a bit more stability around the place.

Even if things get a bit dodgy, like all clubs experience, we need to sit tight and not piss our pants like we usually do.

MON is doing a great job and I fully expected him and villa to be more solid this season after his first.

This happens with most new managers

1. start job - make signings - test fans patience at times - ride the storm - get solid if not spectacular 1st season finish ........

2. start 2nd season - players know each other better - staff less pressured - more focus - enjoying football better - higher aims - hopefully achieve better finish

Guest teepee

as for mon - decent manager it seems, but imo he still haven't proven much.

I'm aware of this line of argument, and there is some validity in it, but to be honest, I don't really care what he has done in the past, just what he is doing at the moment.

completely understandable

Maybe we will say the same about Sam this time next year?

Amen brother, AMEN!

Exactly, if we  hang tight and shut the hell up whinging for a while we'll have a bit more stability around the place.

Even if things get a bit dodgy, like all clubs experience, we need to sit tight and not piss our pants like we usually do.

MON is doing a great job and I fully expected him and villa to be more solid this season after his first.

This happens with most new managers

1. start job - make signings - test fans patience at times - ride the storm - get solid if not spectacular 1st season finish ........

2. start 2nd season - players know each other better - staff less pressured - more focus - enjoying football better - higher aims - hopefully achieve better finish

I wish some of our support would have a look at MON at Villa and realise that there are stark similarities between his time there and whats currently happening at our club. I remember Villa going through a torid time at one stage last season, no wins in 12? Well what is certain is that Villa were no great shakes last season, partly due to MON inheriting a poor squad low on morale (sound familar anyone?),  and that it took a full season to stabalise the ship before showing real signs of progress and improvment in his second season.

One look at MON's career so far at Villa should provide us with a template for SA'a time here, i.e. 1st season STABLEISE! bottom half finish would not be end of world and result in public hanging/flogging of Sam and his players. 2nd season - evdience would proint to marked improvement and PROGRESS! Stick by the manager. I know it isnt good to watch right now but he has to be given a season at the very least. If anyone has to go it should be players who have consistantly UNDERPERFROMED under successive managers now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Are we in a bad run though or is this as good as it gets?

Well, considering our bad run has come against the worst teams in the division I would suggest it isn't going to get better this season, at least.

Both Moyes and MON would have been sacked here due to fan pressure.

I think that's a fair point. The two managers that i always 'compare' Allardyce to, looking into the future, are these two. With their respective clubs, they've taken them to a very high level (or will do in O'Neill's case). And it's taken a good while for them to do that, to take them above their station and beyond. I believe Sam will do the same thing with us.

I can remember Everton being bottom of the Premier League after about ten games, out of the CL in the qualifying round, and thoroughly bummed in the first round of the Waffa - the season after they finished fourth (fourth!). And yet, they bounced back to a reasonable finish, and they'll probably finish 5th/6th again this season.

I know i'm merely repeating what people have said - the reasons to stick by Allardyce rarely differ. Patience is a virtue.