Stoke (a) in the FA Cup - Pre-Match thread

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Guest Knightrider

Lee Ryder's also having his say.

We're pig sick of Ronnie Radford man!

Posted by Lee on January 4, 2008 8:24 AM | Permalink

They can't wait can they?

The minute the draw was made they just couldn't wait to arrange for the TV cameras to make it a date in Stoke on a Sunday night.

Just like they did at Hereford, just like they at Stevenage and just like they did at Yeading, they did it at Peterborough too and they are doing it all over again!

I think they see it, yet again, as a banana skin tie.

Yeah, yeah I know, romance of the cup and all that goes with it and I know that the cameras will be at Luton for the Liverpool games as well as Burnley for the visit of Arsenal

But is it just me or does the rest of the country just love watching Newcastle United and the Geordie public suffer?

We can all put our hands up and say that Newcastle have been poor at times this season.

And after going a goal down in the last SIX away games it's not a surprise that away fans have took delight in chanting "you are getting sacked in the morning" to Big Sam.

But this problem of fans, not just down the A19, taking delight of knocking the Magpies and waiting to see us fall runs pretty deep.

In modern history it was petrified Manchester United fans - previously scared they were about to lose to a team playing the best football the world had ever seen - gloating that they'd pipped us to the title in 1996 with chants of "we saw you cry on the telly" but beyond that nobody has been allowed to forget Ronnie Radford's goal for Hereford in the FA Cup in 1972.

In fact the Radford goal is shown more times than anything related to our total of SIX FA Cup wins - it's rammed down our throats isn't it?

They conveniently ignore the fact that we are still in the top five of the Premier League table since it started, forget the fact that we've got the best fans in the world and don't even mention we gave the world Shearer, Gazza, Chrissy Waddle, Peter Beardsley, Sir Bobby Robson, Milburn, Broon Ale, The Tyne Bridge, a watering hole to have your stag/hen do in the shape of the Bigg Market, the Metro Centre, Sting, the Evening Chronicle, Viz, Byker Grove, The Blaydon Races or the Great North Run!

No they all mean nowt to the doom merchants out there, just put on a clip of Ronne Radford to sum us lot up, I mean would you credit it?

I mean I wasn't even born for the Radford goal and I feel like I was there on that muddy pitch and wearing one of those stupid coats!

You watch before the Stoke game, Ronnie Radford all over again - just like Stevenage - just like Yeading, or any other FA Cup game that we stand a chance of being "humiliated" in.

We don't actually hear a squeak from Stevenage these days although I have to say I always have a wry smile on my face every time I go past it on the train to London.

I mean why not? It's my moment.

After all the whole country got behind the plucky southereners and it was such a "disgrace" that after trying every dirty trick in the book to beat Newcastle they went out to a Shearer goal that didn't cross the line! What a shame.

Then you have Yeading. Who? Oh yeah the other team the whole country got behind and a nice easy home game for the BBC cameras but it was Newcastle who went through - and we even had Boumsong and Babayaro playing!

So now we have to go through it all again on Sunday with the whole country baying for our blood at the Britannia Stadium to see if Stoke can dump us out!

Oh it won't be as big a "humiliation" as say Hereford but remember Wolves in 2003 the BBC describe on their website today still as an FA Cup classic.

Well, love him or hate him, Craig Bellamy actually got it right that night.

Remember? After being beaten 3-2 and suffering the taunts of the Wolves fans - who sent the national Press into a frenzy that night - Bellers simply responded to the taunts by pointing at the Premier League badge on his shirt and mouthing "Premiership."

And what division are Wolves still in?

Oh I know it sounds like sour grapes but just why does everyone apart from the Geordie public want to see this trophy drought go on and on.

And if you think I'm paranoid, you watch if we go a goal down, the cameras will be straight over to our fans and zooming in order to tee up the commentator for something along the lines of "Is it another year of waiting for this lot."

We haven't been giantkilled too many times in the FA Cup but you'd think we'd gone out to minor opponents every year.

So the message to the players this time around is, let's give Stoke a proper hammering and try to show the great British public exactly what NEWCASTLE UNITED and the TOON ARMY are all about.

Time to show some pride boys.

Let's roll.

Source: http://www.blogonthetyne.co.uk/2008/01/were_pig_sick_of_ronnie_radfor.html

I fucking detest self pitty more than anything else. I couldn't give a shite about the beeb or anyone playing Radford's goal whenever we're on the box playing an FA Cup match, it doesn't grate on me, piss me off or anything.

It happened, it's part of the club's history. The FA Cup is part of the Beeb's history, that goal, that game, such dramas, are what made the FA Cup become such a must see event. They are bound to show it. Yes there is bias in the media towards NUFC and a lot of anti-NUFC shite too, but so fucking what. Whinging about it and wallowing in self pity just boils my piss. Leave all that crap to Liverpool fans or others who constantly feel hard done by. That would actually be the biggest fuck off to the beeb and such archive clips than any amount of bleating or "we get the picture"

Do we really...

FFS!

I'd have Duff on the right anyway, but that's just me. (Charlie/Enrique down the left)

Duff has always been shit for us on the right. Milner is by far our best right winger, but a lot of people seem to have picked up on the myth that he is inferior.

Oh, and Duff crocked again - what a fucking waste of wages that cunt is. Picks and chooses.

Guest Knightrider

I'd have Duff on the right anyway, but that's just me. (Charlie/Enrique down the left)

Duff has always been shit for us on the right. Milner is by far our best right winger, but a lot of people seem to have picked up on the myth that he is inferior.

Oh, and Duff crocked again - what a fucking waste of wages that cunt is. Picks and chooses.

Aye, only because he's our only right winger.

Guest toonlass

Given

Beye Taylor Rozenhal Enrique

Milner    Butt      Faye Zoggy

Smith

Owen

Think this will be the lineup, 2-1 to us.

Duff has always been s*** for us on the right. Milner is by far our best right winger, but a lot of people seem to have picked up on the myth that he is inferior.

Oh, and Duff crocked again - what a f****** waste of wages that c*** is. Picks and chooses.

Give me an appraisal of Milner's season so far please NM. In your own words. Take your time though.

He was previously shit on the left for us too. Looks promising this season, though.

Is he definitely out?

Given

Carr    Beye   Faye   Taylor                 

Milner  Butt  Emre   Charlie

Smith

Viduka

Everyone may laugh at my defence, and i had a little chuckle too.

But i think with the style Stoke will play tommorow,i think it's physical enough,and able to cope with their long ball.

I'd love to play Enrique,but would honestly think he'd struggle against a team that will get stuck into us, that's why Taylor is left back.Good in the air and OK going foward.

Same with Owen,would get battered and wouldn't get a sniff.

A gritty team to grind out a gritty performance. Won't be good to watch, but is able to get a result.

It's my opinion, and i know everyone will disagree, but i'd take that team tommorow.

Given

Carr    Beye  Faye  Taylor                 

Milner  Butt  Emre  Charlie

Smith

Viduka

But i think with the style Stoke will play tommorow,i think it's physical enough,and able to cope with their long ball.

I'd love to play Enrique,but would honestly think he'd struggle against a team that will get stuck into us, that's why Taylor is left back.Good in the air and OK going foward.

:lol: No, Just no mate.

Given

Carr    Beye   Faye   Taylor                 

Milner  Butt  Emre   Charlie

Smith

Viduka

Knew it was coming tbh  :lol:

Given

Carr    Beye  Faye  Taylor                 

Milner  Butt  Emre  Charlie

Smith

Viduka

Problems i see when looking at that:

1. Stephen Carr is playing - Recipe for disaster.

2.Beye is playing out of his usual position - Recipe for disaster.

3. Taylor is not only playing out of position but in a role where he will feel uncomfortable using his weaker foot - Recipe for disaster.

4.Smith is not a midfielder in any way,shape or form, he's not creative so i wouldn't know how we could possibly supply Viduka - Recipe for disaster.

5.Viduka - No use upfront on his own, he would have no one running past him and would be simply laying it off to our midfielders with no one else coming into play - Recipe for disaster.

the match tomorrow seems like a big unknown for me.  that may be because of all the speculation around our management, some poor results lately or the fact that i'm from the states and know not about Stoke even though i've thrown some cash on them before.  either way i'm excited becuase i get to watch the game and hope to god we pull a result to relieve some of the pressure on allardyce...yeah that's right i support big sam all the way and he needs time you funkin knee jerkers out there!

I'd be glad to see something like this...but won't happen as long as Sam's in charge :tickedoff:

Given

Beye  Taylor  Cacapa  Enrique

Faye    Emre

Milner      N'Zogbia      Duff

Owen

Considering our current form...I can't see us winning at Stoke. A boring 0-0 is the most likely outcome but everything's possible.

Given

Carr    Beye   Faye   Taylor                 

Milner  Butt  Emre   Charlie

Smith

Viduka

Problems i see when looking at that:

1. Stephen Carr is playing - Recipe for disaster.

2.Beye is playing out of his usual position - Recipe for disaster.

3. Taylor is not only playing out of position but in a role where he will feel uncomfortable using his weaker foot - Recipe for disaster.

4.Smith is not a midfielder in any way,shape or form, he's not creative so i wouldn't know how we could possibly supply Viduka - Recipe for disaster.

5.Viduka - No use upfront on his own, he would have no one running past him and would be simply laying it off to our midfielders with no one else coming into play - Recipe for disaster.

If we ever have to play those four at the back it should be

Beye - Taylor - Faye - Carr

Duff is doubtful with a calf strain.

Faye and Beye are available.

Martins and Geremi have gone (although Martins may pop back for the Man U game).

I'd go with: -

Given

Beye Taylor Faye Enrique

Milner  Butt  Emre Zoggy

Smith Owen

Bench: -  Harper, Viduka, Cacapa, Carr & Ameobi

Guest johnson293

Lose this one and I think that's it for Sam.

If we lose, he should have he decency to resign.

Incidentally, have David Moyes and Mark Hughes been sacked, or resigned from their jobs yet, after their respective clubs home FA Cup results yesterday?

Everton 0 - Oldham 1 (mid League 1)

Blackburn 1 - Coventry 4 (lower Championship)

:frantic:  :rolleyes:

Lose this one and I think that's it for Sam.

If we lose, he should have he decency to resign.

Incidentally, have David Moyes and Mark Hughes been sacked, or resigned from their jobs yet after their respective clubs results yesterday?

Everton 0 - Oldham 1 (mid League 1)

Blackburn 1 - Coventry 4 (lower Championship)

:frantic:  :rolleyes:

Big Sam being sacked would be the result of several poor matches, not just one.