Martins

Guest K9

It's quite obvious I wandered into a Martins love in and told a few home truths that people didn't want to hear.

If you want a player who costs nothing and would probably be just as effective in that position i'd go for EMO. Spend the £13 million we could potentially recoup on Martins on a decent playmaker to replace Owen (Arshavin, just to keep you Pop Pickers happy) if we're going to continue to play 433.

We'd still have to pay big money for a hell of a striker to play alongside Owen then, because all of the pace and athleticism would be gone from our forward line with Owen replacing Martins there.

That's bollocks right there.

While Owen isn't as fast as he used to be he's still pacey compared to your average striker. I've nee idea where this myth about him having no pace at all now has come from. Granted, he isn't like s*** off a stick like Martins but pace isn't everything.

So you think the current system would work with Owen and Viduka upfront?

If you honestly think that then you sir are a joker, and you clearly didn't watch any of our games which featured this formation.

If Martins is moved on to be replaced with Owen upfront then Owen's partner would have to be someone athletic and pacy e.g. a Darren Bent.

The difference between us selling Cole back then and us potentially selling Martins now is that we had Beardsley back then, who even on a bad day could create chances for any striker who was playing with him, with his skill and ability to pick out a killer pass.

I think Martins is the only player who can create something at the minute for us, only due to his pace & I dont think that we could get someone with the ability to sign for us this summer.

Selling Martins is more likely to put players off coming here.

Right, someone explain the bolded part there to me.  I'll straight honest, first off, that I do not think the club should sell Martins, I like him in the new system and his pace is very important if we have a relatively immobile CF in Viduka's position.  He seems very happy at Newcastle United, and scores some crackers.  He's relatively young (23, I believe) and could be a solid player for NUFC for 7-10 more years.  The club's transfer attention should be on replacing Viduka and midfielders, primarily, imo.  Not messing about with the fit and scoring strikers (Owen and Martins, top and second-top scorers, respectively). 

However, I do not agree with this bolded bit.  I do not think Martins is the "lynchpin" of the system, nor do I think he's the most important player going forward who is the only person who can create anything for Newcastle.  Personally, I think Martins was about the fifth most important player in the end of season success -- tied with Viduka, but Viduka should be easier to replace and needs it at any rate (hence my view that keeping Martins is a priority).  Players ranked above Martins, you ask?  In order -- Owen, Butt, Beye, Harper.  In fact, those five (w/Martins) are the ones I think the squad should build around for next season hopefully with an understudy for Butt brought in this close season.  There are flat BETTER players at Newcastle, and in fact, there is a better STRIKER at Newcastle United, than Obafemi Martins.  Say what you like about Michael Owen, but he's far more proven in the Premiership and internationally, and was in fact the top scorer in both league and total goals this past season, as well as being club captain for the last 18 matches or so.  He's a better goalscorer than Martins.  That doesn't mean he can do it alone, and the club should try its best to keep both strikers, imo.  But Owen's ability to play as the "playmaker" I think refutes the argument that Martins is the only player who can create anything.  Anyone still arguing that Owen is one-dimensional...I wonder about your eyesight.  Or at least whether or not you actually watched the last 10 matches of the season.  (btw, I am not arguing that OWEN is the only one, either just pointing out on flaw in the argument above presented which I highlighted in bold). 

Martins is invauable to the team, i personally think equally important as Owen, Owens job is to retain possession in the final third and link up play between the midfielders and the forwards which he has done exceptionally well - he isnt a creator in the direct sense (Martins does have that feather in his cap, much like Bellamy in his heyday) but he is usually vital in the link up play before the creation of an oppurtunity, he also chips in with goals, some of which have been vital.

If you look at Martins he creates oppurtunities in a different way, he is an invalauble outlet who can change the dimensions of play in an instant, how many times have you seen him retain possessio in the opposition corner when we've been under the cosh a little? Thats invaluable to a team, its a similar to what Rooney does at Man U on occasion - how many times have you seen him down the left flank on his own with possession?

Also MArtins can thread a through ball occassionally and does put in the odd cross/shot, maybe that side of his game can be refined more but for me he is really invaluable.

I agree that Martins was vital to the team's late season success.  Without him, teams will find it very easy to stop Newcastle's attacking momentum because Owen would have no one as an outlet, or to stretch defenses to  give him space (Viduka and Smith both sh*** at this).  As I said, I think he's someone Newcastle need to look to keeping for the long term.  The new 4-3-3 certainly wouldn't work without someone like Martins (preferably the man in question himself) to play there.  Whilst I agree with many of your points, I simply cannot rate his importance above Owen (captain, "playmaker", top-scorer), Beye (strongest part of the back 4), or Harper (did amazingly well, imo) and I struggle to put him above Butt (played vitally well in the DM position) although I think Butt over the season was less consistent than Martins which makes it very close.  I could accept Martins ranked above Butt, depending on various points of view.

My only real concern about Martins is in the case of a return to 4-4-2 as the primary formation.  It would be interesting to see Owen and Martins upfront together, properly (ie with a decent midfield 4) but if that fails to work...it could be very messy.  The fans all seem to love and somewhat over-rate Martins (I think he's good, but hardly as brilliant as some on here like to argue) and if the partnership with Owen doesn't work, will the fans accept Oba playing behind Owen (Owen is captain, logically he'd not be benched)?  Or will Owen get slagged off and abused because he's "displaced" the fan favourite Martins (ignoring the fact that Owen is a more established, consistently top-class player)?  Will Martins himself accept playing behind Owen, or will he want to leave?    He is, after all, 23 not 19 and looking to enter his peak years, and now is proven in the Premiership.  Will there be yet more rumours of unrest, etc., at the club because two strikers aren't getting along?  Ideally, the partnership will work out, but I am worried about the consequences if the two do not mesh well.  I am hoping the 4-3-3 continues, both because it was effective against the teams that Newcastle must beat to move up the table, and because it allows both Owen and Martins onto the pitch at once, which guarantees regular goals (and let's be honest, we all love goals). 

See, i'd disagreewith the importance of the players ranking you give - your list refersto people who maybe haveplayed thebest in your opinionand id pretty much agree but i think i'd base the list on who i think has more importance to the team and for that Owen obviosuly comes first, followed by Martins, Geremi,Butt, and Faye. Personally i think Beye has been our best player but he is in a position which doesnt have a great influence over the game, not like the others do.

Id also agree with your last paragrapgh - i personally think that there is a partnership between the 2, Martins naturally likes to go deep and collect the ball, whereas Owen likes to sit on the last defenders shoulder (in a 442) so i dont think they'd clash as similiar ilk players, becasue i dont think they are.

I think my final point is that we are yet to see either of our 2 star formwards play in a sytem and a team that is owrking cohesively and thats what excited me most, Martins for me has done exceptionally well in his time here, he has a good goalscoring record in very diffiicult circumstances (Roeder and SA) where he's been shunted on the bench and not played consistently or has been one man up front on his own with a weak uncreative uncohesive midfielde behind him.

It will be interesting to seem them both play in a team that finally is geared towards them playing there better game - people predict Martins to be a 10-15 goal striker but i genuinely think there is 20 goals in there.

Guest Heneage

Martins is arguably one of our best players, can play on his own and has no fear in running with it.

Owen = pacey compared to the average striker

bollocks, Owen is quick off the mark at times, but that isn't pace, look the word up

Rather sell Owen and Viduka for a combined £100,000 than sell Martins, don't people realise how easy we'd be to play against without him

Owen = pacey compared to the average striker

bollocks, Owen is quick off the mark at times, but that isn't pace, look the word up

Rather sell Owen and Viduka for a combined £100,000 than sell Martins, don't people realise how easy we'd be to play against without him

Bit of an extreme example but I agree with the sentiment.  Martins is the only one of the front three to be able to create something out of nothing.  Owen relies on service from others, Viduka can be dangerous but only from just inside the box.  Oba is the only one that's a threat from anywhere. 

Guest toonlass

I think we should be adding to our 3 decent strikers rather than replacing any of them. Would like to see one more striker in and have an option from 4. Should keep Owen, Oba and Viduka imo.

I think we should be adding to our 3 decent strikers rather than replacing any of them. Would like to see one more striker in and have an option from 4. Should keep Owen, Oba and Viduka imo.

I agree absolutely. I don't think we'll be operating a sell to buy policy, I certainly hope not anyway, so there is no chance we should be letting go one of our first teamers. It's a no brainer.

Viduka needs shifting to the bench*; I'd only consider getting rid of him completely if his wages are restrictively high.

*By that I mean he's the one we should be looking to replace in the starting line-up, not Martins or Owen.

Viduka needs shifting to the bench*; I'd only consider getting rid of him completely if his wages are restrictively high.

*By that I mean he's the one we should be looking to replace in the starting line-up, not Martins or Owen.

I also agree with this. Keep all three, and look to bring in someone better if the opportunity arises. We need to be looking up.

It's quite obvious I wandered into a Martins love in and told a few home truths that people didn't want to hear.

If you want a player who costs nothing and would probably be just as effective in that position i'd go for EMO. Spend the £13 million we could potentially recoup on Martins on a decent playmaker to replace Owen (Arshavin, just to keep you Pop Pickers happy) if we're going to continue to play 433.

We'd still have to pay big money for a hell of a striker to play alongside Owen then, because all of the pace and athleticism would be gone from our forward line with Owen replacing Martins there.

That's bollocks right there.

While Owen isn't as fast as he used to be he's still pacey compared to your average striker. I've nee idea where this myth about him having no pace at all now has come from. Granted, he isn't like s*** off a stick like Martins but pace isn't everything.

So you think the current system would work with Owen and Viduka upfront?

If you honestly think that then you sir are a joker, and you clearly didn't watch any of our games which featured this formation.

If Martins is moved on to be replaced with Owen upfront then Owen's partner would have to be someone athletic and pacy e.g. a Darren Bent.

If we got someone equally as effective in Owen's current role, yes.

Guest saintscoobz

Selling Martins would be bloody stupid, he is without doubt one of the only plusses in our squad at the moment.  Rather sell Owen and get someone who can play more than a dozen games a season and soesnt cost ten thousand pound a week.

Guest teepee

Selling Martins would be bloody stupid, he is without doubt one of the only plusses in our squad at the moment.  Rather sell Owen and get someone who can play more than a dozen games a season and soesnt cost ten thousand pound a week.

i belive you'll find that owen gets more than a hundred thousand pounds a week :D

Viduka is a crock and we can't seriously rely on him as a lynchpin for our attack. Too many injuries and doesn't have youth on his side to cure them. We need another striker to spearhead our trident.

I would go for a youngster, another player with pace would be brilliant, I don't want a static target man even if they are capable of "holding it up"... Some quick attacking football with owen ghosting in for the second phase titbits...

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1023482/Newcastle-striker-Martins-likely-miss-start-season-ankle-injury.html?ITO=1490

Obafemi Martins's ankle injury means he is unlikely to be fit for the start of next season.

Newcastle team-mate Mark Viduka also faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines. Martins has been sent to Italy for treatment.

Obafemi Martins

Although Michael Owen's future is uncertain, Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan is keen to partner him with Peter Crouch, while the club's increasingly influential London office favour St Etienne striker Bafetimbi Gomis.

Newcastle have confirmed Turkish midfielder Emre will join Fenerbahce for £8m.

I dont wanna create a new thread but i guess that most of you already have seen that we are being linked with a move for Alvaro Negredo..

Some paper "said" that spurs are supposed to be interested in him also..haha what a surprise if there is any truth in it...

2 months out, so I don't see why he won't be able to make it back at the end of our preseason. Obviously that won't give him the perfect preparation but he'll still be able to train for a couple of weeks before the season actually kicks off.