Martins

Guest K9

Well plenty people on here go on like he's one and have done in the past. He's an average Premier League striker imo because despite his weaknesses he'll get about 10-12 league goals a season. In particular though he has a very detrimental effect on the team's ball retention due to his total inability to receive a simple pass with his back to goal. He isn't the only one in the side who can't keep the ball by any means though.

Can pull a cracking goal out of the bag now and again but he's becoming first-bitingly frustrating in front of goal and starting to look like a youtube player.

He was put through against Derby at one point and completely bottled it, didn't look very happy to have a decent chance of going one on one with the keeper and seemed pretty relieved when he got disposessed.  Viduka might make Shearer in his last season look like a whippet with an arseful of dynamite but at least he can receive a pass and hit the target from 6 years out.

Martins = not good enough, lacks composure, a few pot shots don't make up for missing easy chances, borne out of an incapability to play consistently well as a footballer.

Said it all ages ago. People always come round to my way of thinking eventually ......  ;D

Glad you put a smiley on that ..! I have ALWAYS thought he wasn't a top striker,nor ever would be...

Not sure who exactly on here thought we had purchased a 'top striker'?

Oh, there were some. Not you, though. You focussed your madness on spelling out how great our chances were of finishing above Arsenal, and in the process, fighting with Spurs for 4th place.

I think we all know Martins is really a pretty good player. If you watch Newcastle train before a match you can see he has good technical ability, he is a raw player with Raw talent which CAN be coached. Just play him upfront in a 4-4-2 and he is guaranteed to get you goals, as we saw last season (which wasn't 17 in 54 btw it was 17 in 43 with a couple of those being substitute appearances).

He is a very good 4-4-2 player, if he was played there consistently he could be an excellent player. Comparing him to Torres is stupid though Torres has had alot more practice as a footballer then Martins. Torres practically played every game for Atletico for 4 seasons, Martins played sparingly for Inter. This could be a reason for the inconsistency and lack of confidence. Oba has all the attributes, he is just misguided nothing which some coaching and an arm round the shoulder can't solve. When on form everybody has seen how well oba can play, and what he can do. Keep him he's a good striker for a top 8/top 6 team.

Martins = not good enough, lacks composure, a few pot shots don't make up for missing easy chances, borne out of an incapability to play consistently well as a footballer.

Said it all ages ago. People always come round to my way of thinking eventually ......  ;D

Glad you put a smiley on that ..! I have ALWAYS thought he wasn't a top striker,nor ever would be...

Oh, there were some. Not you, though. You focussed your madness on spelling out how great our chances were of finishing above Arsenal, and in the process, fighting with Spurs for 4th place.

I have a tendancy to start the odd uplifting thread. You should try it sometime ringo. lol

Wallop! :lol:

to me it looked like oba was trying to force himself onto the score sheet.  he seems too easily to get into a 1 option/tunnel vision about what to do when he gets the ball.  this works well for him to create something from nothing, as we've seen him do (albeit in the now distant past), but it causes him problems when it's obvious that he has alternative plays there to be made than just firing willy-nilly at goal.  i think he struggles with his decision-making.  that's where good coaching would come into improving his game.

Guest Ridzuan

He has been rubbish recently and I think it would be wise to sell him now.Its like selling a iron steak which have been left in the cold for a few hours for a high price.

Wallop! :lol:

Zing.  :lol:

Guest Brewcastle

to me it looked like oba was trying to force himself onto the score sheet.  he seems too easily to get into a 1 option/tunnel vision about what to do when he gets the ball.  this works well for him to create something from nothing, as we've seen him do (albeit in the now distant past), but it causes him problems when it's obvious that he has alternative plays there to be made than just firing willy-nilly at goal.  i think he struggles with his decision-making.  that's where good coaching would come into improving his game.

:thup:

The papers are willing Villa to sign Oba so they can use the 'Aston Martins' headline - that is, if they haven't used it already.

That's probably the entire basis of the story tbh.

The papers are willing Villa to sign Oba so they can use the 'Aston Martins' headline - that is, if they haven't used it already.

That's probably the entire basis of the story tbh.

:lol:

Agree with you Dave, tabloid CRAP if you ask me.

Yeah, reckon they're dissapointed on missing out on "Newcastle Brown" this week and are trying to make up for it.

Yeah, reckon they're dissapointed on missing out on "Newcastle Brown" this week and are trying to make up for it.

'Newcastle Brown Ailment' when he gets injured.

• 3 months later...

According to telegraph 91% passing accuracy today, and their MOTM.

His build up play has really stood out under Keegan, maybe because he's been encouraged to play the ball around on the floor rather than be expected to control 70 yard balls being fired out from the back.